You’ve got questions. Eric has answers. Dr. Eric Schulze answers your questions in a rapid-fire round. (Thinkstock)
You’ve got questions. Eric has answers.

You asked us a lot of questions and now I'm going to try to answer as many as I possibly can in 45 seconds, so ready the timer, please, let's do this.

Dogs are not colorblind, although we've sometimes been told they are; it takes 8 minutes, 20 seconds for light to travel to Earth from the Sun, which is well, lightning fast!  It was a New Orleans dentist, Levi Spear Parmly, who invented dental floss back in 1815.

We could be alone in the universe but this is a question that can't be answered today, and, the day is coming soon when you could have a robot butler.  In addition, the tallest person ever known was Robert Wadlow, who in 1940 measured 8 feet 11.1 inches, and 12 people have walked on the moon.

On the question of how did life begin, I will pass, and I'm also going to pass on what makes us human, but here are some more answers: A coin that falls from the Empire State Building could not kill you; it's pretty much true that no two snowflakes are alike; the first woman to win a Nobel Prize was Marie Curie, and she won two, in 1903 and 1911; my favorite science figure of all time is Carl Sagan.  And finally, I like long walks on the beach...Wait, what?

And that ends our lighting round, on a very weird note, but for more insightful videos like this, check us out every day at Smithsonian.com.

I can see sunlight. Why does it take so long for the sun's light to reach Earth?

• michaelm1-ver
    2/03/2016 - 05:40 p.m.

If dogs are not colorblind, then are cats?

• hassans-ver
    2/03/2016 - 05:58 p.m.

I can't believe that dogs aren't colorblind!

• zeusr-3-bar
    2/03/2016 - 07:04 p.m.

Sunlight takes a long time to reach Earth because it has a log way to travel we are talking about 91,402,000 miles and at it's furthest distance of 94,512,000 miles.Light travels at a rate of 186,282 miles per second.So no wonder it takes sunlight 8 minutes, 20 seconds to reach Earth.

In my opinion it made sense when I heard this statement of the time it take's the Sun to reach Earth.

• kieranw-3-bar
    2/03/2016 - 08:44 p.m.

It takes a long time for the sun's light to reach Earth because the light has to travel millions and millions of miles just to get to Earth, this takes time and energy that is why it takes so long to reach Earth. This article answered a lot of questions i still had to this day like are dogs color blind? who is the tallest person alive? and also when will robots be invented? All these questions that I have had for a long time just got answered. So I find this article very interesting and cool because of what I just learned. Especially that dogs are not color blind because I did believe my dog was color blind until today.

• Eugene0808-YYCA
    2/03/2016 - 09:02 p.m.

I think this is very random because I already knew the answers for most of the questions. However, there were some things that were interesting to learn. For example, the tallest man ever was almost 9 feet tall and dogs are not colorblind. I never thought about dental floss but it is 200 years old. These were random facts.
    Answer: It takes so long for the sun's light to reach Earth because the Sun is 93 million miles away.

• seans-2-bar
    2/03/2016 - 11:04 p.m.

Well, the Sun is pretty far away from Earth. [citation needed]
    Approximately 92.96 million miles away, but light travels fast. [citation needed] About 186,000 miles per second. If you do some simple calculations, 92,960,000/186,000 = 499.784946 seconds, and to convert that to minutes = 8.3297 minutes, so if we are talking in terms of light reaching our eyes, this is pretty fast compared to that of other solar objects. When I saw this article I was surprised, as I had not expected a blurb of answers to comprise this issue.

• ashantil-jon
    2/04/2016 - 09:46 a.m.

This was a very interesting article.Things I didn't know before,I know now. It was also very nice to read.

• brianv-ver
    2/04/2016 - 07:05 p.m.

Well, yeah. That pretty up sums up any question I might randomly generate. I thought the coin would kill you.

• audreyv-4-bar
    2/04/2016 - 07:33 p.m.

It takes a long time for the sun to reach the Earth, because distance between the two objects takes time. Even though we see sunlight, we aren't seeing sunlight during the present time it is presented.

I found this article interesting to learn some fun facts that is very common and asked amongst many people; including myself.

• aidanp-1-bar
    2/04/2016 - 08:08 p.m.

Lightspeed is the fastest speed known to mankind. Even so, it still takes long from the sun to get to Earth. This is because the sun is really far away.