What would you do if you found a bag of money? (Thinkstock)
What would you do if you found a bag of money?

A Utah man got a surprise when he stopped to pull a large orange bag off the highway, fearing that it would become a traffic hazard.

The Deseret News reports the 75-pound bag tumbled out of a truck driving in front of Dan Kennedy on Interstate 80. When he looked inside, he found stacks of cash.

"I thought it was going to be light. I reached down to grab it and I couldn't move it," Kennedy said.

Approximately 4 feet tall and 2 feet wide, the sack was filled with smaller bags packed with currency including $50 and $100 bills. Kennedy estimated each of the small bags contained $22,000.

It was unclear how much money the entire bag contained.

Kennedy tried but failed to chase down the Brink's armored truck that had lost the bag. He then drove the money to his work parking lot and called the police.

The three Utah Highway Patrol troopers were "stunned" at the bag of money, Kennedy said.

"Never in all my years have I heard of a bag of money bouncing out of the back of an armored truck," said trooper Brady Zaugg. "That's something that happens in the spy movies."

Kennedy said it never occurred to him to do anything other than turn in the money.

"He hadn't disturbed it at all, so he obviously did the right thing for the right reason," said Zaugg, who said Kennedy reported his find to the police immediately.

Brink's employees told police they drove over a bad bump on a highway off-ramp but didn't notice the back latch opening or the bag falling out.

Kennedy said he hasn't heard anything about a reward for his good deed, but he was still excited by the unusual discovery.

"I was just jazzed all day long," he said.

Critical thinking challenge: Why was the bag orange?

• rachelx-Bit
    4/16/2015 - 01:27 p.m.

In the article above, I feel the bag that tumbled out of the truck was orange to make it less noticeable. This is because usually bags are dark-colored, and this orange bag would make it seem like there is nothing important in the bag, even though there were thousands of bills in the bag. An orange bag would also seem like you chose a random bag, not an important one. So, no one would probably bother to see if there is anything "special or unusual" in the bag. That is why I think the bag was orange instead of any other color.

• isabellam-Bit
    4/17/2015 - 12:01 a.m.

I think that the bag was orange because money is not usually put in an orange sack. Most of the time, money is put in bags of darker shades so as to not attract much attention to them. But maybe the person who put the money in the orange bag thought that if it tumbled out of the truck, a person wouldn't think money would be inside, and so would report the bag to the police. Another reason why a person would put money in an orange bag is because the bright-colored bag would be associated with a truck carrying bright orange bags. Probably not many trucks carried orange-colored bags, so the person who put the money in the bag thought it would be easier for it to be returned.

-Isabella

• NiaM
    4/20/2015 - 10:57 a.m.

When Kennedy found the bag of money sitting on the road roll ling he stopped and tried to give it back to the truck that it fell off of.Kennedy did the right think he took the bag of cash to the police and didn't keep it for himself. If i was in his position i would not know what to do, but he did the right thing and everyone is proud and he is proud of the good deed he did.

• morgann-war
    4/24/2015 - 01:37 p.m.

If I found a bag full of money I would either wait to see if anyone has claimed it or I would find a good way to use it. I don't want to take the money because that is just stealing.

• breonak-war
    4/24/2015 - 01:39 p.m.

This is crazy if I ever had this much money I would buy lots of stuff and I would help the charity. I would think as the orange bag as the newspaper carrier people. I would make sure that the doors were locked before I even got back in the truck to leave.

• tylerw-ver
    9/28/2015 - 02:47 p.m.

I think t he right thing to do is to give the money back but I think their are some people in this world who would keep the bag for themselves.

• Steve0620-yyca
    11/30/2015 - 08:49 p.m.

I think that it is very shocking and surprising to find a bag of money on the street. The bag had thousands of dollars inside of it. I would be amazed to find a bag of money. The bag was really big. It was four feet tall and two feet wide. That is the biggest bag I have ever heard of. I think that the Utah man did the right thing by calling the police and telling them about the bag of money to return it. If someone else found the bag, I think that they would have taken the bag of money instead of telling the police about it. The bag went into the right hands and I wonder why someone would have a bag of money in their truck.

• Jason0421-YYCA
    11/30/2015 - 09:12 p.m.

I think that it is amazing for a Utah man to get a surprise when he stopped to pull a large orange bag off the highway. I think that this man is heroic because he gave back the money. I think that $22,000 was a lot. So giving back the money must have been difficult.