What happens when you get a concussion? (Thinkstock)
What happens when you get a concussion?

You asked us, "What happens when you get a concussion?"

Well, our brains may be the consistency of Jell-O.

But luckily - encased in bone, wrapped in membranes and floating in fluid - they're also one of the best-protected organs in our body...until we get whacked on the head or violently tossed around.

Then those delicate brains can end up bumping and twisting around in our skulls.

And one result might be a concussion - a traumatic injury that at least temporarily alters the way our brains work.

That's because nerve cells can get stretched, affecting their ability to send and receive messages to and from the rest of the body.

And those protective membranes surrounding our brains? Well, they can tear, letting toxic substances leak into brain tissue, causing cell death.

Like any other bruised flesh, the brain might also swell during a concussion.

And without a whole lot of room to expand, it can end up pressing against the skull, causing even more damage.

Multiple concussions add up over time, leading to problems with memory loss, depression and even dementia.

So today's lesson? Be careful with your Jell-O brain.

Mmmm ... Brains! Brains!

Why does bruised flesh swell?

• williamb-4-bar
    9/30/2015 - 07:11 p.m.

it swells because there's no muscle to protect it so the blood clots and bruises.

• gabriellek-1-bar
    9/30/2015 - 08:02 p.m.

Bruised flesh swells because blood is collecting from the tissue. I found this article interesting because I learned that the brain is the best-protected organ in your body. This article surprised me because protective membranes can tear, letting toxic substances leak into brain tissue, causing cell death.

• cadew-mil
    10/01/2015 - 04:37 p.m.

I am commenting on concussions. Something I learned was that a concussion is when you recieve a traumatic blow to the head/brain that temporarily damages the way your brain works. It's because nerve cells can be streched while affecting their ability to send and recieve messages to and from the rest of the body. It can swell and press up against the back of your head causing even more damage. Having multiple concussions over time can cause problems like memory loss, depression, or even dementia.

• josiec-1-bar
    10/01/2015 - 06:45 p.m.

Bruised flesh swells because protective membranes around our brains can tear which will cause dramatic swelling in the brain. When the brain swells too much it will push against the skull and cause even more damage. I think that concussions are one of the most dangerous injuries because if people damage their brains it will affect there whole entire body in a million ways.

• John0724-YYCA
    10/01/2015 - 07:49 p.m.

I think that I am glad that I never got concussion because if I did then I could get seriously injured. The way they explain concussion sounds very painful so when someone tries to whack me really hard on my head I will have to be ready to dodge it.

• josepht-2-bar
    10/01/2015 - 08:58 p.m.

You have a concussion because they can be bumped and twisted around. And sometimes our brains will swell. The problem is that the brain does not have enough room in the skull to swell up so then it causes more damage. I am surprised that after some concussions and will lead to memory lost and dementia.

• jennaw-1-bar
    10/01/2015 - 09:12 p.m.

Bruised flesh swells because it fills with blood which makes it puffy and swollen. In my opinion, this is a very interesting topic because off the way they describe the brain and the body.

• caitlynk-2-bar
    10/01/2015 - 11:39 p.m.

Bruised flesh swell because as it states in the text, "...one of the best-protected organs in our body...until we get whacked on the head or violently tossed around." This is why the bruised flesh swells. It pretty much swells as a defense technique. I found this article interesting because some of my friends have had concussions, but I never really Knew what a concussion was besides a head injury. This article surprised me because it showed me that the reason that concussions are so bad is because it lets harmful toxins in and kills brain cells.

• matthewp-6-bar
    10/01/2015 - 11:53 p.m.

Bruised flesh swells because the tissue is collecting blood causing it to expand.I found this article interesting that your brain is like jell-o but the skulls is able to protect it very well.Also it was interesting that your brain could twist around in your skull.

• traviss-2-bar
    10/02/2015 - 12:25 a.m.

Critical Thinking: bruised flesh swells because there is no muscles to protect the flesh causing a lot of cells to die.
    I found this article interesting because it was somewhat weird when they referred to our brains may be the consistency of Jell-O.