Unexpected visitor: Woman finds bear in her apartment (Thinkstock)
Unexpected visitor: Woman finds bear in her apartment

A North Carolina woman says she entered her daughter's apartment and found a bear, who had entered by opening an unlocked door, roaming through the home.

Asheville Fire Department spokeswoman Kelley Klope told news outlets the mother called emergency personnel after spotting the bear. It was eating some pet food.

North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission biologist Mike Carraway says the bear smelled dog food right inside the door. It was able to get in through the door by pulling down on the unlocked handle.

Klope says crews arrived and hit on the ceiling to scare the bear. The animal then left unharmed.

Klope says all that was left in the wake of the bear's visit was a broken flowerpot and blind.

Carraway says similar break-ins are rare, with this being the first one this year in the Asheville area.

What lured the bear into the apartment?

• billiem-1-bar
    10/20/2015 - 07:47 p.m.

The pet food lured the bear into the apartment. I find this article interesting because these things rarely happen, especially where i live.

• juliep-all
    10/21/2015 - 11:12 a.m.

What lured the bear into the apartment was the smell of pet food.

• larno-wim
    10/21/2015 - 12:59 p.m.

1. The bear knew that there was dog food inside, and made his way in.
    2. All they had to do was bang on the ceiling to scare the bear.
    3. The bear left unharmed.

• tkaik-wim
    10/21/2015 - 12:59 p.m.

Haha!, I am glad the woman was safe & unharmed. But that bear was pretty smart & cunning. lol.

• jahma-wim
    10/21/2015 - 12:59 p.m.

bears are getting smarter and smarter

• jahma-wim
    10/21/2015 - 01:04 p.m.

I really don't know how a bear would get inside a apartment I think that it is just crazy. I guess the bear was just doing what it always does looking for something to eat.

• lbocc-wim
    10/21/2015 - 01:04 p.m.

I would never keep my apartment, if I had one, unlocked without anyone in there. The bear was lured into the apartment because he smelled pet food, and he was attracted to eating it.

• ralma-wim
    10/21/2015 - 01:05 p.m.

The pet food was the smell that lured the bear into the house. The fact that the bear was in the house, this is completely normal. I just don't understand why someone would leave their door unlocked and maybe there might have been a robbery.

• hxin-wim
    10/21/2015 - 01:10 p.m.

The pet food lured the bear in. The bear was able to smell the pet food. Since the door was unlocked, the bear was able to get in easily and eat the dog food.

• rcoat-wim
    10/21/2015 - 01:11 p.m.

This was a goo d article because I didn't know that a bear could open doors and it was interesting to learn about the problems in the real world