Tennessee teen saved by Siri (Thinkstock)
Tennessee teen saved by Siri

A Middle Tennessee teen is alive, thanks to Siri.

Eighteen-year-old Sam Ray says the voice recognition service on his iPhone - famously named Siri - called emergency dispatchers after his truck fell on him while he tried to make repairs.

Ray told media outlets that a jack collapsed, pinning him under nearly 5,000 pounds of metal in a location where he couldn't be easily seen or heard. He says he was trying to get free when he heard Siri activate.

"I said 'Call 911,' and that was all it said," he said.

Rutherford County dispatcher Christina Lee says she first thought it was a mistaken pocket-dial, but then she heard his screams for help and sent crews, who rescued him.

She said she knew his general location from the cellphone signal, but Ray helped them pinpoint his exact whereabouts.

"The map got to his street. ... It got pretty close," Lee said. "But he was yelling his address, and that was the best thing he could have done."

When volunteer firefighters arrived, they raised the truck back up with a jack and pulled Ray out. He was under the truck for about 40 minutes.

"I could feel myself slipping," he said. "I was starting to accept that I wouldn't get out."

Ray and Lee met Aug. 14 for the first time after the July 2 incident.

Rick Miller, who is chief of trauma and surgical care at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, said Ray suffered broken ribs, a bruised kidney, cuts and a concussion and he had burns on one arm. Miller said Ray is lucky his wounds weren't worse.

"Sometimes these crush injuries can be devastating and can kill you," Miller said. "I've never heard of a story where you can figure out a way to use Siri to call 911 and get yourself rescued."

Sam Ray said he is thankful to be alive.

"I guess I'm stuck with an iPhone for the rest of my life," he said. "I owe them that."

Sam's message was sent in more than one form. Name two.

• Steve0620-yyca
    8/24/2015 - 08:45 p.m.

I think that it is amazing and very fortunate that Ray was saved by Siri. I think that he was very lucky. I think that Christina should have rushed to help the person calling for help and not hesitate to think that it must have been a mistake. Ray was lucky that the injuries weren't worse and that he could get help in time.

• Brandon1231-YYCA
    8/24/2015 - 09:06 p.m.

A girl is trapped and her Iphone comes and saves her. I think that this is kind of weird because she didn't activate her Iphone for Siri to call the Police. I think that something is going on with the apple products because they are allowing the phone to listen to what the person is saying and what the person already said. The phone might be able to look at you when the camera is off and the phone might still be looking at you. You never know when these people of Apple might be looking at you when are doing something that you don't want to be looked at.

• Eugene0808-YYCA
    8/24/2015 - 09:39 p.m.

This story is amazing because never in my life have I heard someone using Siri to rescue themselves. Now we learned something new that we can use in case of emergency. It must have been horrifying, being trapped under 5,000 pounds of metal for 40 minutes.
    Sam's message was sent in more than one form. Name two.
    Answer: One way Sam's message was sent was to use Siri to call 911. Another way Sam's message was sent was to call for help and stating the address.

• Jason0421-YYCA
    8/24/2015 - 09:46 p.m.

I think that it is amazing for Ray to have been saved by Siri. I think that it is more amazing for Ray to have been alive even though a 5,000 pound truck fell on him. I believe that it is a miracle for Ray to have thought of using the function of Siri, since most people in such a condition wouldn't have done that. I don't think that I would have known to use the Siri function and say "call 911".

• destinyw-1-war
    8/25/2015 - 11:37 a.m.

I think that the siri call was a butt dial, because he had a 5,000 pound car on him for 40 minutes and he started to accept that he wasn't going to get out.

• destinyw-1-war
    8/25/2015 - 11:43 a.m.

I thought the call was a butt dial, because I've never heard that. He was a under 5,000 pounds of mental for 40 minutes. He would have maybe, be died if it wasn't for siri helping him.

• jamarir-wil
    8/26/2015 - 01:44 p.m.

The first way Sam sent his message was by him screaming his location.The second way was by his cell phone sending out a signal so that the dispatch can find him.

• josen-nar
    8/27/2015 - 11:36 a.m.

Omg Siri saved a life

• tylero-1-bro
    8/27/2015 - 01:28 p.m.

It was really good with a lot of information

• rouxw-nar
    8/27/2015 - 01:32 p.m.

Oh my gosh! This story is amazing I love how Siri saves Sam Ray and he lives to buy another iPhone??