Teen takes wrong turn, accidentally runs 26.2 miles Philadelphia police Officer Andrew Schafer watches as runners make their way down the Benjamin Franklin Parkway in Philadelphia at the start of the Philadelphia Marathon, Sunday, Nov. 22, 2015. (AP Photo/ Joseph Kaczmarek)
Teen takes wrong turn, accidentally runs 26.2 miles

A Pennsylvania teenager's family says he accidentally ran all 26.2 miles of the Philadelphia Marathon because he missed a turn on his half-marathon course.

WPVI-TV reports Evan Megoulas runs on his high school's cross country team in Palmyra, 80 miles west of Philadelphia. He set out to run the 13.1-mile half-marathon. His family was waiting for him at the finish line but became concerned when he didn't show up.

They say they gave police a photo of Evan and officers tracked him down in the Manayunk section of the city. He felt good despite missing his turn and wanted to keep running.

Evan's brother says after he completed the marathon, officers wanted a picture with him.

His time was 5:23:11.

How could a wrong turn lead someone to run twice as far?

• andrew-1-bar
    11/30/2015 - 08:24 p.m.

A wrong turn will take you down another path which may be twice as long. One who is competing is tired and must be careful not to make this mistake as mentioned in the article. Perhaps one who is competing should familiarize themselves with the course before the race. This was an interesting article because I find it funny that he did not notice that people were not looking at him because he was no longer on the course once he made the wrong turn.

• rusalir1-mac
    12/01/2015 - 11:09 a.m.

It must have been a very tiring day for him and I know would probably quit.

• annabel1226-yyca
    12/01/2015 - 07:54 p.m.

I think I would be really mad. I would be mad because if I ran that much for reason then what's the point of running. I think Evan was a hard worker. He ran even tough he ran the other way. People should have cheered for him. I think he should be rewarded. I think he would always do hard works because he is a hard worker. I hope I become like him. I wish I could take photos with the police officers. Isn't it awkward to take a picture with them?

• christopherp-2-bar
    12/01/2015 - 11:25 p.m.

in pensalvania a teen ran 26.2 miles but that was not his goal he was running the 13.1 mile race until he made a wrong turn. the teens family was at the finish line but little did they know he changed his mind and ran another 13.2 miles.

• angelinat-3-bar
    12/01/2015 - 11:49 p.m.

A wrong turn could lead someone to run twice as far because, that shortcut could have cut the race in half, and if you missed the turn you would've done the longer race. As mentioned in the article, "...he missed a turn on his half-marathon course." That could've cut the entire marathon in half, but because he missed it, he did a much longer portion. I was interested in this article because life has many wrong turns, and this article relates to everyday life. I was surprised by this article because usually on the marathons there is a clear marking of which path to take, and I'm surprised that the runner missed the turn.

• juliep-all
    12/02/2015 - 11:15 a.m.

If you take a wrong turn while you are running you most likely got lost so if you just keep following the people who were running the full marathon,you will find your way out-and run a lot more!

• williamb-4-bar
    12/02/2015 - 11:52 a.m.

A wrong turn can make you run twice as far by maybe running behind one person the hole time thinking they were doing a half marathon.

• mayaw-6-bar
    12/02/2015 - 06:34 p.m.

A wrong turn could lead someone to run twice as far because they are motivated. In paragraph 3, it says, "He felt good despite missing his turn and wanted to keep running." Evan Megoulas is obviously motivated, or else he would not have ran twice as far. He could have just called his family to go and pick him up, but he didn't. Evan Megoulas is motivated, and that is why taking a wrong turn can lead someone to run twice as far. I chose this article because it is optimistic. I find this article interesting because it has a lesson, which I think is, you will be faced with struggles in your life that you must overcome with a positive attitude.

• maggiej-hor
    12/02/2015 - 06:38 p.m.

This article was very interesting to me. It was interesting because when this person took the wrong turn, I was starting to wonder if he was going to keep on going. From this article, I have learned that one wrong move can send you out of place!

• carsonk-2-bar
    12/02/2015 - 07:37 p.m.

A wrong turn could lead someone to run twice as far if they maybe just wanted to keep running. "He felt good despite missing his turn and wanted to keep running." This article was interesting because it was cool that a kid who set out to run 13.1 miles instead ran twice as much not even knowing it. This article surprised me because it was a complete coincidence he ended up running exactly twice as many miles as what thought.