See 150 skiing Santas Skiers and snowboarders dressed as Santa ride a chairlift while participating in Santa Sunday at the Sunday River ski resort, Sunday, Dec. 6, 2015, in Newry, Maine. (AP Photo/Robert F. Bukaty)
See 150 skiing Santas

Santa and his helpers hit the ski slopes to spread some holiday cheer.

All told, a mob of 150 right jolly ol' elves hopped on skis and snowboards for the 16th annual Skiing Santas event at Sunday River ski resort in Newry, Maine.

The event serves as a festive kickoff to the holiday season.

"It's really fun because everyone is a little wild and crazy," said Catherine Bolender, 53, of Waterboro, who's been participating for about a dozen years. "It's a fun, festive event."

Thom Bureau, a snowboarder, agreed that it's chaotic - and unforgettable.

"When you're on the chairlift, you look back as you're getting off, and the whole chairlift is full of Santas. It's kind of freaky, actually," he said.

The event has become so popular that it's difficult to get a ticket.

Brad and Heather Cope of Newton Falls, Ohio, said the online registration filled up in 4 minutes on Nov. 30. They said they were lucky to make the cut.

"We were both on our computers at noon to make sure we got it," said Brad Cope, a former ski instructor who installs swimming pools. Heather is a Maine native and nurse practitioner.

How do the skiing Santas benefit from this event?

• chloec-Orv
    12/10/2015 - 03:05 p.m.

Well i think that the people who are dressed in those fake santa suits just want to have fun and they entertain others for fun.

• dashiellg-3-bar
    12/10/2015 - 06:39 p.m.

The skiing Santas benefit from this event because they get to have fun on the slopes, they donate to charity and get a free lift ticket, and meet other santas while they are there. I thought that this article was interesting because just the fact that 150 santas are skiing is cool. Also it is interesting that so many people want to ski in a santa to raise charity and for fun.

• audreyv-4-bar
    12/10/2015 - 06:47 p.m.

The skiing Santas benefit from this event by participating in a fun, festive event. Also, the money that is earned from this festival will be used for charity. "'It's really fun because everyone is a little wild and crazy,' said Catherine Bolender, 53, of Waterboro, who's been participating for about a dozen years. 'It's a fun, festive event.'"

I found this article very interesting to see how something as extraordinary as 150 Santas skiing for charity.

• sheilah-6-bar
    12/10/2015 - 07:42 p.m.

The skiing Santas bring people to come to the resort. In the article it says, "Resort officials say the event raised a little more than $3,000 for the Sunday River Community Fund, a local charity.Participants were required to donate at least $15 to the fund. In exchange, they were allowed to ski for free and received another lift ticket good through Dec. 18." This shows how they have raised so much for a good cause. The Santas made it so that children would want to go. It brings people to come for a good. I find this interesting because the resort found a creative way to donate to charity. It is nice how they spent time and money for the better.

• collinf-2-bar
    12/10/2015 - 08:25 p.m.

The skiing Santas benefit from the event because they get to have fun and raise money for charity. "It's really fun because everyone is a little wild and crazy, said Catherine Bolender, 53, of Waterboro, who's been participating for about a dozen years. It's a fun, festive event." "Resort officials say the event raised a little more than $3,000 for the Sunday River Community Fund, a local charity."

I was surprised that it was hard to get tickets for the event.

• jilliand-3-bar
    12/10/2015 - 08:35 p.m.

The skiing Santas benefit from this event because they get to ski for free. In the text it says,"Participants were required to donate at least $15 to the fund. In exchange, they were allowed to ski for free and received another lift ticket good through Dec. 18". The skiing Santas donate to the fund so that they can enjoy skiing for free and have a good time. I thought this article was interesting because I would not think that the spotscould fill up so fast.

• olivias-ver
    12/10/2015 - 08:54 p.m.

This seems like a lot of fun! I would like to do this one day, but if the slots fill up that quickly then I might not be able to. This even seems like it would be cool to watch. I mea who wouldn't want to watch 150 people dressed up as santa skiing down a hill all at once..?

• jacksonm-4-bar
    12/10/2015 - 08:55 p.m.

I think the saints benefit from this event by getting a lift ticket. The lift ticket is good till the the 18th so you can wait and still have a lift ticket.

• maxwellt-2-bar
    12/10/2015 - 08:59 p.m.

The skiing Santas "were allowed to ski for free and received another lift ticket good through Dec. 18". Not only that, they also get to be part of a unique experience, and I'm sure that many of the Santas would go even without the free lift ticket. All the tickets "filled up in 4 minutes on Nov. 30". Obviously this is a unique experience. This article made me laugh when I saw the picture of a bunch of Santas crammed into a small lift chair.

• annabel1226-yyca
    12/10/2015 - 09:34 p.m.

I think it is a very important moment to win the ticket.
    If I were them I would participate every year.
    I wish I could be a lucky person and have that ski ticket.
    If I do then I would be very lucky to win it.
    I think it is lucky because you can go to ski for free.
    I hope that I could get the lottery.