Police pull over self-driving car A Google self-driving car goes on a test drive near the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, Calif. (AP Photo/Eric Risberg/Tony Avelar)
Police pull over self-driving car

Mountain View police said in a statement that an officer pulled over a Google self-driving car that was being tested on local roads Nov. 12.

The officer noticed the car going a road-clogging 24 mph in a 35 mph zone and realized it was a Google Autonomous Vehicle. He stopped the car and contacted its operators to let them know it was impeding traffic, but no citation was given.

A person is required to sit behind the wheel of self-driving cars.

The Google project responded in a blog post, saying it's never received a ticket and adding, "Driving too slowly? Bet humans don't get pulled over for that too often."

Why was no ticket issued?

• ellans-1-bar
    11/17/2015 - 08:45 p.m.

No ticket was offer when a self-driving google car got pulled over, because there was no driver to give it to. In paragraph 1 it states, "A California police officer made a traffic stop, but wrote no ticket. There was no driver to give it to anyway." Now a driver must be behind the wheel even though they don't need to drive. I think this article is interesting, because the police officer didn't ticket google, because they were in charge of the vehicle, that was to slow.

• danevar-lan
      11/23/2015 - 11:14 a.m.

i agree

• jaylas1-lan
      11/23/2015 - 11:58 a.m.

you did great explaing !!!!!

• alexise-lan
      11/23/2015 - 02:56 p.m.

i agree also

• nicholasm-hor
      12/22/2015 - 02:58 p.m.

I can agree that is true.

• alexanderc-6-bar
    11/18/2015 - 12:10 a.m.

No ticket was issued because there was no one to give the ticket to. The article says, "There was no driver to give it to anyway." This shows that the police officer would have given a ticket had there been someone driving the car, but since there was no one driving the car, no ticket was issued. I found this article interesting because I knew that Google was taking self-driving cars, but I did not know that they were testing them on local roads. I did not find this article surprising because it is not possible to fine someone if they are not there.

• annabel1226-yyca
      11/19/2015 - 09:09 p.m.

I think the self-driving car was not a great success because the robot doesn't really tell if it slow or fast. I wish there could be a car that is sensitive to tell if it slow or fast. I hope it is not too sensitive because if we just passing them and the car said that it was to fast or slow than it will be unfair. I hope some company could make the right car. I wish there could be a car that just drive by itself and makes decision that the police won't be tired watching everyone if there are slow, fast, and if they have their belt on. I hope NASA and other car company make the car that I want. We could do it....

• nicholasm-hor
      12/22/2015 - 02:59 p.m.

That is true.

• garrettm-lam
    11/18/2015 - 09:33 a.m.

I believe that the officer was correct when he didn't give a ticket, because nobody was driving the car. If the car was being driven by a human, he would have somebody to give the ticket to.

• kartikeys-lam
    11/18/2015 - 10:25 a.m.

I guess the officer didn't give a ticket, because Google was testing the car and maybe they got permission from the Govt.