Original Trix, made with artificial colors, is coming back This photo provided by General Mills shows a box of Classic Trix cereal. (Courtesy of General Mills via AP/frankileon/flickr)
Original Trix, made with artificial colors, is coming back

Assign to Google Classroom

Trix is back to its old tricks. The colorful cereal will once again be made with artificial dyes and flavors. This comes nearly two years after they were banished from the cereal.

Food maker General Mills said Thursday that Classic Trix will return to supermarket shelves in October. But it will also continue to sell the version without artificial colors and flavors.

"We heard from many Trix fans that they missed the bright vibrant colors and the nostalgic taste of the classic Trix cereal." That's according to Mike Siemienas. He is a spokesman for Trix. The move was first reported by The Wall Street Journal.

In early 2016, General Mills switched to using natural sources for color, such as turmeric, strawberries and radishes. Its hope was that the change would appeal to parents who are increasingly concerned about what ingredients are in their food. The cereal lost its famous neon colors, and the blue and green pieces had to go because the company couldn't find natural replacements.

General Mills Inc. said it is also working on bringing back another fan favorite: Trix made in shapes of fruits. The company stopped selling those a decade ago, returning instead to round pieces.

The Minneapolis-based company said about 90 percent of its cereals are still made with no artificial flavors or colors. Those cereals include Cheerios, Cocoa Puffs and Golden Grahams.

Why do people prefer Trix with artificial colors and flavors?

• genesisd-orv
    9/26/2017 - 08:47 p.m.

Because its looks better in pictures and taste better?

• calliy-orv
    9/27/2017 - 12:00 p.m.

i think they should not take the color away because lots of kids wouldn't maby want to eat it because it looks like it has no tast. naturally i would eat because i don't care as long as it fills me up but other than that i think they should keep the color and i think that the cereals they said in this text is mostly my favorite cereals but don't worry i have more.

• EllyanaS-pay
    9/27/2017 - 03:12 p.m.

From this passage, I learned that the general mills company is going to bring back the original Trix ceral because many fans missed the fun, vibrant colors. In addition, they are also going to bring back the fruit shaped Trix which was another fan favorite canceled a while ago. The company is also going to continue the Trix without the artifical colors and flavors.

• jacksonc-lew1
    9/29/2017 - 12:47 p.m.

I think Trix was way better when it had neon colors and artificial flavoring. Even tho I have not had the real tasting and coloring ones i assume they were bad because people want them of the shelf.

• austinf-lew1
    9/29/2017 - 12:48 p.m.

I didn't ever realize that trix was gone i just found out by read this articles that the trixs was off the shelf but the is bad for people still love the flavors of the ceral

• baileym-lew
    9/29/2017 - 12:50 p.m.

Trix was very boring after they changed it. I think the new colors will make the cereal stand out more. I don't really know how I feel about shapes though.

• lybic-lew
    9/29/2017 - 12:51 p.m.

My opinion on trix cereal is very delicious.The bright colors should have never left,and I can't wait till the fruit shaped trix.

• abbyt-lew1
    9/29/2017 - 01:02 p.m.

I think that it is a good thing that they are bringing trix back. People love to eat that cereal, and it wasn't right to take that away from them. I personally like the colors and the flavors of trix, and i'm glad their bringing it back.

• gentryp-lew
    9/29/2017 - 01:10 p.m.

There are two sides that could be argued here and one of them is that even though the colored ones might not be as healthy they do get most kids attention better.Some parents are worried not so much about the ingredients but that their child eats in general and that might need to be done with the artificial flavoring.Although I don't believe that the artificially flavored cereal should have been discontinued I also see where some parents are coming from. Some parents need to be causas about what they feed their children due to allergies or medical causions such as diabetes,cancer,etc.

• genesisd-orv
    9/29/2017 - 02:26 p.m.

I thought this was very interesting and am going to try the new trix when they come so excited get it