Original Trix, made with artificial colors, is coming back This photo provided by General Mills shows a box of Classic Trix cereal. (Courtesy of General Mills via AP/frankileon/flickr)
Original Trix, made with artificial colors, is coming back

Trix is back to its old tricks. The colorful cereal will once again be made with artificial dyes and flavors. This comes nearly two years after they were banished from the cereal.

Food maker General Mills said Thursday that Classic Trix will return to supermarket shelves in October. But it will also continue to sell the version without artificial colors and flavors.

"We heard from many Trix fans that they missed the bright vibrant colors and the nostalgic taste of the classic Trix cereal." That's according to Mike Siemienas. He is a spokesman for Trix. The move was first reported by The Wall Street Journal.

In early 2016, General Mills switched to using natural sources for color, such as turmeric, strawberries and radishes. Its hope was that the change would appeal to parents who are increasingly concerned about what ingredients are in their food. The cereal lost its famous neon colors, and the blue and green pieces had to go because the company couldn't find natural replacements.

General Mills Inc. said it is also working on bringing back another fan favorite: Trix made in shapes of fruits. The company stopped selling those a decade ago, returning instead to round pieces.

The Minneapolis-based company said about 90 percent of its cereals are still made with no artificial flavors or colors. Those cereals include Cheerios, Cocoa Puffs and Golden Grahams.

Why do people prefer Trix with artificial colors and flavors?

• genesisd-orv
    9/26/2017 - 08:47 p.m.

Because its looks better in pictures and taste better?

• calliy-orv
    9/27/2017 - 12:00 p.m.

i think they should not take the color away because lots of kids wouldn't maby want to eat it because it looks like it has no tast. naturally i would eat because i don't care as long as it fills me up but other than that i think they should keep the color and i think that the cereals they said in this text is mostly my favorite cereals but don't worry i have more.

• EllyanaS-pay
    9/27/2017 - 03:12 p.m.

From this passage, I learned that the general mills company is going to bring back the original Trix ceral because many fans missed the fun, vibrant colors. In addition, they are also going to bring back the fruit shaped Trix which was another fan favorite canceled a while ago. The company is also going to continue the Trix without the artifical colors and flavors.

• kallim-lew
    9/29/2017 - 09:31 a.m.

The colors of the cereal should never of been banned. They should keep the cereal the way it is and not in a fruit shape form.

• aleahr-lew
    9/29/2017 - 09:37 a.m.

In my opinion Trix cereal is very delicious and the vibrant colors should have never been banned. The artificial flavors are also a part of the original Trix cereal and should definitely be brought back. Regardless of if the artificial colors and flavors are bad for you, kids do not necessarily have to eat it so the parents should not buy it if they think it's bad for their kids.

• jaleef-lew
    9/29/2017 - 09:38 a.m.

I am personally a very big fan of Trix, it is my favorite cereal. I know I was very upset when General Mills took away the beautiful vibrant colors, but they were still very tasty. I will definitely be excited when the colored Trix go back on the shelves. I loved reading this article, it was very fun to read about my favorite colored cereal.

• khloeea-lew
    9/29/2017 - 09:42 a.m.

This article helped me remember the Trix cereal before it turned over a new leaf. This makes me excited to taste all 6 artificial flavors.

• rayb-lew
    9/29/2017 - 12:03 p.m.

I think that the food makers who invented Trix cereal should have not stopped selling the cereal. So many people enjoy the cereal and the inventors were probably made millions of dollars and they were running a good business, so there is no reason that they should not stop selling Trix Cereal.

• casend-lew
    9/29/2017 - 12:08 p.m.

I think it is great that they are going back to the original Trix.It is great for business that they are listening to the Trix fans and giving them what they requested,but also keeping the artificially flavored and artificially colored on the shelf for the people who like the artificial Trix.

• austinl-lew
    9/29/2017 - 12:12 p.m.

I think that it's just because they fans of the cereal. There is really no other reason who want artificial colors and flavors in cereal?