Little houses need new home This Feb. 21, 2016, photo shows one of several gnome homes along Fisherman's Trail in Little Buffalo State Park in Newport, Pa. (Deb Kiner/PennLive.com via AP)
Little houses need new home

Nearly 40 gnome homes have been evicted from a Pennsylvania state park after a decision change sent them packing.

Pennlive.com reports that management at Little Buffalo State Park gave permission for Steve Hoke to create the small, magical houses. That was in December, and since then, he has made 38 tiny houses in tree roots, hollow logs and on stumps around the forest near Newport. It is about 25 miles northwest of Harrisburg.

He says the houses were a major attraction for children.

Park Manager Jason Baker tells the news site he gave the OK originally but it was later decided the homes could affect wildlife habitat.

Hoke removed the little abodes after being told he had until Feb. 29.

Duncannon and Millerstown have both offered to house them in local parks.

How could the tiny houses affect wildlife?

• noahf-3-bar
    3/04/2016 - 01:53 a.m.

The tiny houses could be taking potential shelter away from animals making them incapable of surviving.

I found this article interesting because I would have never though these small houses would actually affect wildlife.

• kyleyc-kut
    3/04/2016 - 07:53 a.m.

It is kind of sad how they had to take down the cute little houses, but they had valid reasons to do so.

• justiny-2-bar
    3/04/2016 - 09:54 a.m.

The houses can affect wildlife by giving the animals a place to live. I found it interesting that they built tiny houses in the roots of trees. I found it surprising that they are removing the houses.

• michaely-6-bar
    3/04/2016 - 11:01 a.m.

It could give animals a place to live instead of them not having a house. I think it will be a good idea for wildlife. I think it will also be a success for wildlife. My only concern is if animals might fight over the tiny houses. I think it will be perfect for squirrels and other animals like squirrels. I just wonder if it will actually work.

• libbys-4-bar
    3/04/2016 - 11:13 a.m.

The houses could affect wildlife by destroying the trees from getting neutrition then the animals that live in the trees wount have a home anymore.

• shaelyng-ver
    3/04/2016 - 02:41 p.m.

I think it's rude to move the little houses! The man put hard work into creating them, and the children love it. If the park owners didn't want the man to make the dwellings, they should have vetoed the idea earlier.

• rachaels-ver
    3/04/2016 - 02:46 p.m.

I think its weird that someone builds house for imaginary living creatures, in pottery form. I also think it is nice that someone is kind enough to do this for kids and their imagination if that was that was the point.

• kevine-4-bar
    3/04/2016 - 04:24 p.m.

Tiny Houses could affect the wildlife by scary other animals with all the people coming to look at the tiny houses. I think that since they are so small there not affecting the wildlife to bad. They could also make a restricted area just for the house so its not harming any animals.

• alexm-ver
    3/04/2016 - 05:10 p.m.

That is really sad I hope he finds somewhere else to put all of his houses.

• caitlynk-2-bar
    3/07/2016 - 09:56 a.m.

Tiny houses could affect wildlife because where the gnomes houses are could be animals homes come winter. These gnomes could be taking homes away from other animals, or it could be a health hazard. If a gnome breaks and an animal eats something with the dust on it they could get sick or ill. This article was surprising because I didn't know that people showed off gnome exhibits in the park. This article was interesting because it is cool to know that everyone has their own traditions, even if they are a little strange.