Karen O crafts theme song for "Tomb Raider" game Karen O performs at the David Lynch Foundation Music Celebration at the Theatre at Ace Hotel in Los Angeles. Karen O is crafting a new theme song for the latest "Tomb Raider" video game. (Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP)
Karen O crafts theme song for "Tomb Raider" game

Karen O is teaming up with Lara Croft.

Karen O is the Yeah Yeah Yeahs frontwoman. She was nominated for a best original song Academy Award last year for "Moon Song" from "Her." She created a new theme song for the video game heroine that will be featured in "Rise of the Tomb Raider." It is the forthcoming follow-up to the 2013 title that rebooted the action series.

"I think they wanted to bring on the melodrama with this song," said Karen O during a recent interview. "They wanted something emotional with a dramatic build. It's kind of the theme of Lara's creation myth, the moment that defines her becoming an icon. It was really juicy stuff for me. I'm really into making melodramatic songs."

The track, titled "I Shall Rise," will be released digitally and featured at the end of "Rise of the Tomb Raider," as well as in an advertising campaign for the game, out Nov. 10 for Xbox 360 and Xbox One. Karen O, who also created the soundtrack for "Where the Wild Things Are," said working on the tune was not unlike creating music for films.

"I just focus on the material I'm given and tune into the emotions of the piece," said Karen O, who is joined by guitarist David Pajo on the track. "I've always been inspired by films and storytelling. I was in film school before the Yeah Yeah Yeahs became my career. I've always connected with mixing narrative and music together."

When she originally set out with producer Tristan Bechet to make the song, Karen O hoped to create an anthem similar to Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive." Despite making a song for a "Tomb Raider" game," she was more inspired by changing diapers then hunting for treasure. Karen O became a first-time mother in September.

"I'm in this massive transition where I just brought a life into the world," she said. "It's redefined my concept of myself. I kind of got reduced to rubble in the process of it. I feel like I can relate to a heroine who is up against all kinds of physical and emotional adversity. I have this new perspective on women and motherhood."

Karen O said she's solely focused on raising her son at the moment, so it's unlikely the Yeah Yeah Yeahs will be getting back together in the near future. The rock band released their last album, "Mosquito," in 2013. She also probably won't be playing "Rise of the Tomb Raider," though her brother might take a crack at it.

"When we were young, I used to watch him play games that had more of a story, like 'Final Fantasy,'" she said. "I would actually get really emotional invested in them. I would cry when he would win. I've never played games, but I really respect the artistry of them. Nowadays, it just seems like they're on a whole other level."

Why is music so important to video games?

• grantm-2-bar
    11/06/2015 - 03:19 a.m.

Music is so important to video games because it sets the pace/mood. If a video game didn't have music it would be very boring, it would be like watching a movie without music. If there's an action packed part of the game the music will be fast and make you excited and if it's a creepy part the music will be mysterious or suspenseful because without music the video would be very very boring. That's why music is so important to video games.

• aderholdm-rob
    11/06/2015 - 09:44 a.m.

Acorrding to the text it will bring " something emotional with a dramatic build". Based on this peice of text i would say the music could foreshadow what will happen in the game.

• hunterb-buc
    11/09/2015 - 10:01 a.m.

Music is so important to games especially a game with a great story like the tomb raider games were the music can set the tone for the entire game.

• jacksonb-buc
    11/09/2015 - 10:03 a.m.

I feel like it is a good idea because the music shows if its gonna be scary or if its gonna be a good scare

• serenityg-buc
    11/09/2015 - 10:04 a.m.

Music is important to video games because it sets the mood. If a video game didn't have music it would be very boring, it would be like watching a movie without music. If there's an action part of the game the music will be fast it will make you more excited and if it's a creepy part the music will be dark or suspicious because without music the video would be...nothing because music is the biggest part of a game.That's why music is so important to video games.

• levenp-buc
    11/09/2015 - 10:07 a.m.

The music is most important because in a situation where you're walking and suddenly it gets louder that means somethings going to happen.

• bodeej-buc
    11/09/2015 - 10:55 a.m.

its a good idea because different tones of music can be mind setting tells your brain what type of game it is

• alexanderc-6-bar
    11/09/2015 - 06:45 p.m.

Music is important to video games because music sets a pace or mood, and is especially shown in some of the bigger titles of games. (Mass Effect 2 theme! Look it up! Trust me, I've played the title, The track is guaranteed to make you feel alive.) Without music in a game or a movie, the title would lose some of it's value.

• vincents-1-bar
    11/12/2015 - 10:10 p.m.

• ethanw-fel
    11/17/2015 - 02:18 p.m.

Music is so important to video games because it sets the pace,mood. If a video game didn't have music it would be very boring, it would be like watching a movie without music. If there's an action packed part of the game the music will be fast and make you excited and if it's a creepy part the music will be mysterious or suspenseful because without music the video would be very boring. That's why music is so important to video games.