It happened! Cubs win ends World Series drought Chicago Cubs celebrate after Game 7 of the Major League Baseball World Series against the Cleveland Indians Thursday, Nov. 3, 2016, in Cleveland. The Cubs won 8-7 in 10 innings to win the series 4-3. (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel/Charles Rex Arbogast)
It happened! Cubs win ends World Series drought

Third baseman Kris Bryant started to smile even before he fielded the ball. And with his throw to first for the final out, the agonizing wait 'til next year was over at last.

For a legion of fans who waited a lifetime, the Chicago Cubs are World Series champions.

Ending more than a century of flops, futility and frustration, the Cubs won their first title since 1908, outlasting the Cleveland Indians 8-7 in 10 innings of a Game 7 thriller in the Ohio city early Thursday.

They even had to endure an extra-inning rain delay to end the drought.

"It happened. It happened. Chicago, it happened," first baseman Anthony Rizzo said after gloving the ball for the final out. "We did it. We're world champions. I tell ya, we're world champions. I can't believe it."

Rizzo put that final ball in his pocket as the Cubs piled up in the middle of the diamond, catcher David Ross got carried off the field by his teammates and comedian Bill Murray partied in the clubhouse.

Lovable losers for generations, the Cubs nearly let this one get away, too. All-Star closer Aroldis Chapman blew a 6-3 lead with two outs in the eighth when Rajai Davis hit a tying, two-run home run.

But the Cubs, after tormenting their fans one more time, came right back after a 17-minute rain delay before the top of the 10th.

Series MVP Ben Zobrist hit an RBI double and Miguel Montero singled home a run to make it 8-6. Davis delivered an RBI single with two outs in the bottom half. But Mike Montgomery closed it out at 12:47 a.m., and the celebration was on.

Cubs' manager Joe Maddon's team halted the longest stretch without a title in baseball, becoming the first club to overcome a 3-1 Series deficit since the 1985 Kansas City Royals.

"This is an epic game. It's epic. I can't believe we were able to do it - 108 years in the making," Zobrist said. "We did it."

Cleveland was trying to win its first crown since 1948, but manager Terry Francona's club lost the last two games at home.

Zobrist got a Series-high 10 hits, a year after he helped the Royals win the championship. Zobrist was among the players brought to the Cubs by Theo Epstein, the baseball guru who added another crown to his collection. He also assembled the Red Sox team that broke Boston's 86-year drought by winning in 2004.

While Cubs fans hugged with delight, there was only despair for the Indians, who now have gone longer than anyone without a crown.

"It's going to hurt. It hurts because we care, but they need to walk with their head held high because they left nothing on the field," Francona said.

After defeating San Francisco and the Los Angeles Dodgers in the playoffs, Chicago became the first team to earn a title by winning Games 6 and 7 on the road since the 1979 Pittsburgh Pirates.

Twenty-one other teams had won the World Series since the Cubs last were champions. They reached the top again on the 39,466th day after Orval Overall's three-hit shutout won the 1908 finale at Detroit in a game that took 1 hour, 24 minutes. This latest Game 7 lasted 4:24, not including the rain delay.

Back then, Theodore Roosevelt was president, New Mexico, Arizona, Alaska and Hawaii were not yet states, and the first Ford Model T car was two weeks old.

The Cubs had not even reached the Series since 1945.

"It was just an epic battle," Zobrist said. "Just blow for blow, everybody playing their heart out. The Indians never gave up, either, and I can't believe we're finally standing, after 108 years, finally able to hoist the trophy."

Why are baseball games delayed by rain, but football games are not?

• ethanc1-bur
    11/09/2016 - 12:53 p.m.

In baseball you are playing on dirt, which could turn in to mud or water puddles. In football you are playing on turf (fake grass).

• carmenh-orv
    11/10/2016 - 02:33 p.m.

Baseball games are delayed in the rain because the fields get muddy and baseball players do not have cleats to hug the ground, unlike football players.

• brycew-orv
    11/17/2016 - 11:33 a.m.

I was a bit to sad about the cubs winning because I am a cavs fan now people may say that I am a banwagon but I am not u see I have bin a cavs fan for almost two years I have only been watching basketball for two and my first basketball game I watched was game 4 of the 2nd round of the Cleveland vs Chicago series so that ia am a cavs fan I might as well rout for the Indians to win the world series. BTW I am more of cardnals fan and I do not may I repeat I do not watch baseball I only watch football and basketball the eagles are my fav football team

• brycew-orv
    11/17/2016 - 11:37 a.m.

the reason I think baseball games are delaid and not football games is because baseball fields

• gtyler-dav
    11/17/2016 - 04:25 p.m.

In response to "it happened! Cubs win ends World Series drought," I agree that it is awesome that the Cubs finally won the World Series.I agree is that it has been 108 years since they won there last World Series . A third reason is the Cubs were one of the best teams of the 2016 season . Even though some people are mad that the Cubs won, I think this just made history .

• liamr1-sch
    1/19/2017 - 02:56 p.m.

I think this is a healthy pursuit. The reason this is a healthy pursuit is people are very happy that the cubs won the world series. They used to be the lovable lovers now they are the world champions. It says in the text,"For a legion of fans who waited a lifetime, the Chicago Cubs are World Series champions".So it is a healthy pursuit.

• liamr1-sch
    1/19/2017 - 03:14 p.m.

Yes i think what is happening corresponds to your happiness. When Kris Bryant was smiling and he threw the ball to Anthony Rizzo they were both really happy. In the text it says,"Third baseman Kris Bryant started to smile even before he fielded the ball.". The fans and the players were very happy that they won so happiness dose corresponds to what is happening.

• allenm1-bla
    1/27/2017 - 08:18 a.m.

In baseball, you are playing on dirt which can turn into mud. This is a hazard because baseball players can slip and break something if they are going around the bases that fast. In football, you are playing on fake grass which can not turn into something as slippery as mud. Especially in the world series you do not want to slip when given the chance to win it. To avoid this the MLB has to delay the game for a short period of time or the whole game.

• jordanm-ver
    3/17/2017 - 10:12 a.m.

Because the rain and really strong wind with it. If it's windy the ball the curve really far from where they are throwing it and in the rain you can't see much because it's so foggy

• brookeb1-sto
    3/21/2017 - 03:04 p.m.

In baseball you are holding a metal bat and if a strike of lightning comes and hits the bat you would get electrocuted, but in football you are not holding something metal.