How'd you like to spend Thanksgiving in space? In this image taken from NASA video recorded on Friday, Nov. 18, 2016, NASA astronaut Shane Kimbrough shows a pouch of turkey he will be preparing for his crew in celebration of the Thanksgiving holiday, aboard the International Space Station. (NASA via AP/AP Photo/Pat Sullivan)
How'd you like to spend Thanksgiving in space?

Turkey and football will be the main Thanksgiving headliners up on the International Space Station.

NASA astronaut Shane Kimbrough, the station's commander, is serving as Thanksgiving chef for the six-person crew. He showed off the specialties he'll be preparing in a video.

On Thanksgiving Day - a regular workday for the crew - Kimbrough will warm up pouches of sliced smoked turkey, candied yams, and cherry and blueberry cobbler. He'll also add water to the bags of freeze-dried cornbread dressing, green beans and mushrooms and mashed potatoes.

"You can't have a Thanksgiving meal without green beans," he noted.

Mission Control promises to beam up some live football games - "to complete the experience," Kimbrough said.

It will be the second Thanksgiving in space for Kimbrough, who is one month into a four-month mission, and the third for American Peggy Whitson, who just arrived at the orbiting lab for a six-month stay. One Frenchman and three Russians round off the crew.

Kimbrough said he and the others will share what they're thankful for this Thanksgiving. No 1 on the list, he said, is being safe in space.

What makes the cornbread dressing “out of this world?”

• brooklynh--
    11/30/2016 - 09:21 a.m.

What makes the cornbread out of this world is the dressing. Cornbread without dressing would be very gross in my opinion anyways.

• brooklynh--
    11/30/2016 - 09:28 a.m.

What makes cornbread out of this world is the dressing. The cornbread wouldn't be as good without its dressing. And there isn't any freezing or drying required. NASA is sharing this recipe for the "out of this world cornbread dressing."

• brycew-orv
    11/30/2016 - 04:08 p.m.

For one I celebrate thanksgiving but not like that. And space is one of the few things I scared of

• carmenh-orv
    12/05/2016 - 02:50 p.m.

What makes the cornbread dressing "out of this world" is that they are in space so that means they could be out of earths atmosphere.

• olivial-orv
    12/06/2016 - 08:39 p.m.

The fact that they're not on Earth? I would think that would be the best answer.

• rmichael-dav
    12/07/2016 - 04:39 p.m.

In response to "How'd you like to spend Thanksgiving in space?," I agree that it would be fun having thanksgiving in space. One reason I agree is that you could watch football in space. Another reason is that you eat a thanksgiving meal in space. It says in the article it says On Thanksgiving Day - a regular workday for the crew - Kimbrough will warm up pouches of sliced smoked turkey, candied yams, and cherry and blueberry cobbler . A third reason is that you can be in space and still do all the things you can do at home. It says in the article "I'm going to try to make it as much like home as we can.". Even though people think it would be hard to have a thanksgiving meal, I think it would be fun to have a thanksgiving meal in space because you can watch football games in space, you can eat a thanksgiving meal in space, and you can be in space and do the same things you can do at home.

• lellanor-dav
    12/08/2016 - 06:53 p.m.

In response to, "How'd you like to spend Thanksgiving in space?", If given the opportunity i would spend thanksgiving in space. One reason I would is that it would be something different, every thanksgiving u spend on ground, why not a change. Another reason is that i always wanted to try space food, and then compare it to regular food. It says in the artical, "Kimbrough will warm up pouches of sliced smoked turkey, candied yams, and cherry and blueberry cobbler. He'll also add water to the bags of freeze-dried cornbread dressing, green beans and mushrooms and mashed potatoes.". A third reason is that other people have been doing it for a while it cant be that bad... It says in the artical, "It will be the second Thanksgiving in space for Kimbrough, who is one month into a four-month mission, and the third for American Peggy Whitson, who just arrived at the orbiting lab for a six-month stay.". Even though being at home with your family is much better, I think if you could pick any where else to have thanksgiving dinner for a year, I think space would be cool.

• hlindsay-dav
    12/08/2016 - 07:31 p.m.

In response to "How'd you like to spend Thanksgiving in space?," I agree that astronauts can have a thanksgiving in space. One reason I agree is that no matter where you are you should spread your thankfulness. Another reason is that everyone knows space food is not the best food, so to have freeze dry thanksgiving is wonderful. It says in the article "NASA, meanwhile, is sharing its recipe for "out of this world" cornbread dressing. It's straight from Johnson Space Center's food lab, "no freeze-drying required." A third reason is it is a great idea to have a thanksgiving to make it feel more like home. Even though your not with your family, I think it is still important to celebrate this day.

• bmaria-dav
    1/05/2017 - 06:23 p.m.

In response to "How'd you like to spend Thanksgiving in space?," I agree that you could have a nice thanksgiving in space. One reason I agree is that Thanksgiving isn't only about food, but it's about spending time with family or friends and being thankful. Another reason is that you could still have food in space. It says in the article, "Mission Control promises to beam up some live football games - "to complete the experience," Kimbrough said," this show's you could still watch your thanksgiving tradition of football in space .Even though you might miss you family on thanksgiving, I think
    it would be interesting to have a thanksgiving meal up in space.

• AlexR-dav1
    3/16/2017 - 08:27 p.m.

I really liked the article "how'd you like to spend thanksgiving in space". This writing piece talks about how NASA astronaut Shane Kimbrough is having a thanksgiving meal up in space. It says in the reading that "It's going to be a little bit different for us up here in space," he said, "but I'm going to try to make it as much like home as we can." I love the way he is thinking, because the USA is always learning new things about space and the main way to get information is to spend brave people up there. Sadly this means that the astronauts can't spend time with their family on thanksgiving, so they have to make the best of it. I'm happy for the astronunts and overall thought it was a great artical.