First sign language Starbucks opens in DC In this May 29, 2018, file photo, a barista reaches for an empty cup at a Starbucks in the Pike Place Market in Seattle. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson, File/Dave Dugdale/Flickr)
First sign language Starbucks opens in DC

Coffee drinkers in the nation's capital can now order that tall pumpkin spice iced skim latte in sign language.

Starbucks has opened its first U.S. "signing store" to better serve hard of hearing customers. The store in Washington is just blocks from Gallaudet University, one of the nation's oldest universities serving deaf and hard of hearing students.

Marlee Matlin, the only deaf actor to win an Academy Award, posted an Instagram video of herself ordering a drink early on the day the new store opened. "The sign for the week is COFFEE," she wrote.

Starbucks announced in July that it would hire 20 to 25 deaf or hard of hearing baristas to work at the store.

The store is modeled after a similar Starbucks signing store which opened in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia in 2016.

How do you think the signing Starbucks sends a message of inclusivity and tolerance to the community?

• BrianT-dec
    11/12/2018 - 09:37 a.m.

Some one told me that coffee was bad for you and it will make you shrink or jest lower you growth.

• GiavonnaS-dec
    11/13/2018 - 10:15 a.m.

I have only been to starbucks a few times. I think it is so cool that they are opening store for hard of hearing people.

• cbail-wim4
    12/13/2018 - 11:03 a.m.

I think that Starbucks sends a message to the community about tolerance because it shows that hard of hearing people would not be left out and they would be able to enjoy the same Starbucks we do. it also sends a message that we should not leave people out just because there different.

• JacobS-dec
    1/02/2019 - 11:18 a.m.

I don’t really like Starbucks. The only thing I like there is there hot chocolate.

• SabastianM-dec
    1/02/2019 - 11:18 a.m.

I think this is super cool idea. This will help the deaf people.

• baileym-bru
    1/11/2019 - 02:33 p.m.

Starbucks is a very popular drink stop among America. I think it is very cool and unique that they are now giving deaf or hard of hearing people the opportunity to experience the same thrill!

• MattM-dec
    1/18/2019 - 11:08 a.m.

I think it is nice of them to make a Starbucks for deaf people. Also I think it will also help other stores so they don’t have trouble figuring out what deaf people want now that those stores exist.

• yarentzyap-orv
    1/25/2019 - 11:58 a.m.

I personally think it's very cool to have a Starbucks for the people who can't hear. I think we need more things like this for the people who are disabled. I believe that it's a big step for the U.S to do something like this, for people that can't do everything most people can do.

• alisab-orv
    2/05/2019 - 11:50 a.m.

this article show that now people with los of hearing can order a drink

• tbook-wim5
    2/07/2019 - 12:47 p.m.

I think this is a good idea because people say that deaf people are different and can't have the same experiences as normal hearing people. But this is the first step to showing those people that we can all have the same things.