Coming to Facebook: 6 new ways to express how you feel This combination of images provided by Facebook shows a sample post featuring the social network's Reactions buttons. Instead of the "dislike" button many users have been clamoring for, Facebook is testing out buttons that represent the emotions of love, yay, ha ha, wow, angry and sad. (Facebook/AP Images)
Coming to Facebook: 6 new ways to express how you feel

Sometimes "Like" just doesn't cut it. So how about Love or Angry? Haha or Sad? Or just Yay or Wow?

Facebook is going "Inside Out" on the Like button. It is adding a range of new emotional reactions to the iconic thumbs-up icon it launched in 2009.

You won't see the new emoji right away, unless you live in Ireland or Spain. They are the two locations the Menlo Park, California-based social network has chosen to begin testing them.

But Chris Cox, Facebook's chief product officer, says in a post that the company plans to use the feedback from the test run to make improvements. The hope is to launch the buttons globally "soon."

Many Facebook users have been clamoring for the company to add a "Dislike" button for years. They argue that hitting the "Like" button in many instances - such as in reaction to a tragic news event - can seem a bit shallow, or even inappropriate.

At the same time, typing out a thoughtful comment on a phone isn't always easy.

Cox says the company studied Facebook comments to see what reactions were most universally expressed through Facebook. The new buttons were based on that.

"As you can see, it's not a 'dislike' button, though we hope it addresses the spirit of this request more broadly," Cox's post reads.

In order to see the buttons, which are available in the iPhone, Android and desktop versions of Facebook used in Ireland and Spain, users can either long-press or hover over the "Like" button. The buttons will then appear for users to scroll through and select.

Counters underneath a post will track how many of each reaction the post has received, similar to how likes are tracked now.

How can “Like” be an inappropriate substitute for expressing interest?

• alexanderc-6-bar
    10/19/2015 - 06:35 p.m.

Depending on the situation or article, a like could mean something bad towards a topic of conversation. I will say though, I think 5 new ways to express your feelings toward a topic can be very interesting.

• ellans-1-bar
    10/19/2015 - 07:57 p.m.

This article states,"They argue that hitting the "Like" button in many instances - such as in reaction to a tragic news event - can seem a bit shallow, or even inappropriate." showing that a "like" can be inappropriate to sad or tragic event. I really enjoyed this article, because it allows people to express the true reaction to a facebok post.

• tiffanyf-1-bar
    10/19/2015 - 08:05 p.m.

A like can be an inappropriate substitute for expressing interest for responses such as a tragic news event.

• Steve0620-yyca
    10/19/2015 - 10:10 p.m.

I think that Facebook should add new icons to express how people feel. I think that this is a good idea because people have many varieties of emotions and not just one single "like" button. Sometimes "Like" can be an inappropriate way to express themselves because the situation that they are facing be depressing, tragic, or something unhappy. Sometimes, there needs to be more than the "like" button although it has been there for a couple of years.

• roberto-ver
    10/20/2015 - 12:03 p.m.

I think that this new upgrade is interesting but facebook is still and in my own opinion a huge hacking site. There are billions of people who are getting hacked daily. But the new upgrade is really old because there are hundreds of other social networks that have already created this idea.

• alic-nar
    10/20/2015 - 04:10 p.m.

yeah this is so cool hopefully when I get older I can get facebook and do this to that will be cool to really show emojis whenever you want to show how you feel about the post or not I can't wait until they do this in Lakeland or Florida because once again I'm going to my mom to sign Let me make on?????????????????

• austinh-
    10/20/2015 - 04:11 p.m.

I think the"Inside Out" on the like botton is a very smart idea. It will add emotion and tell what you really think about someone's post.
    I think it was a smart idea to get feedback from the test run just to see how people think of it. If people don't like it it won't come out but if people do it would be able to other people.

• ryanb-
    10/20/2015 - 04:13 p.m.

Facebook is making a new option for the like button. It will make so people will appropriately be showing their emotions. It will be tested in Ireland and Spain. They will then use feedback from the testing and make the final product. I think that this will be a great option since you can like it from one of your emotional standpoints.

• nathaenw-
    10/20/2015 - 04:13 p.m.

How can “Like” be an inappropriate substitute for expressing interest? If there is a tragic news event that goes on and you select the "Like" button, people may think that you are in favor of the event. The people may think that you can, and I quote, "can seem a bit shallow, or even inappropriate." I am for that we should be allowed to have more emoticons and options for posts we see so people can know how we feel.

• nariahb-
    10/20/2015 - 04:14 p.m.

The people could like for the picture but not for the person who shared it. I believe that liking it for the photo would be mean and inappropriate because you could be just jealous or not like the person. I only like things for who and what is shared and nothing inappropriate. I like the facebook new ideas because instead of commenting on the the post. I would like to have a lot of the new updates to facebook. It would be fun to see what it would be like to have all the emoji's you would get on the post that you share.