Benno eats ammo Dog owner Sonny Brassfield and veterinarian Dr. Sarah Sexton play with Brassfield's Belgian Malinois Benno (AP photos)
Benno eats ammo
Lexile

A veterinarian in Arkansas has kept a dog from going out with a bang after the animal ate 23 live rifle rounds.

Benno, the 4-year-old Belgian Malinois, had surgery to remove the .308 caliber ammunition from his stomach, The Baxter Bulletin newspaper reported.

Owner Larry Brassfield said Benno has eaten socks, magnets and marbles. He didn't expect the animal would bother a bag of bullets left by a bed. Brassfield and his wife realized Benno needed medical attention after the pet vomited up four rounds.

Veterinarian Sarah Sexton at All Creatures Animal Hospital in Mountain Home removed 17 rounds from Benno's stomach but left two in his esophagus, which the dog was allowed to discharge on his own.

"This is something they certainly did not cover in school," Sexton said. "I've had dogs eat things before, mostly stuffed toys. Once I had one swallow a hearing aid, but I think this takes the cake."

Brassfield said he won't leave ammo lying around anymore but isn't optimistic that Benno will stick to dog food.

"You can baby-proof a house," Brassfield said. "But I don't think it's possible to Benno-proof a house. Lord knows, we've tried and failed."

Critical thinking challenge: Why wasn't this procedure covered in Sarah Sextons school?

Assigned 17 times


COMMENTS (5)
  • mjames8@ims.com
    5/14/2015 - 03:43 p.m.

    My dog eats a lot of things too, for instance, she once ate a little toy car but never in my life could I imagine my dog eating a bullet. None the less 24 bullets.

  • quentinb-mar
    9/11/2015 - 01:07 p.m.

    Why in their right mind would they leave live rounds lying around.

  • angelo-
    9/21/2015 - 01:11 p.m.

    omgm that is cool that they can do that

  • Eugene0808-YYCA
    9/22/2015 - 03:07 a.m.

    I think this is unbelievable because Benno found ammunition and ate it. Dogs are sometimes known to do some dumb things like eating socks and ammunition. It is so weird. I don't even know why those are not digested yet. It is dangerous because it can harm the dog and in the surgery, you have to cut the stomach to take the materials out.
    Critical thinking challenge: Why wasn't this procedure covered in Sarah Sextons school?
    Answer: This procedure was not covered in Sarah Sexton's school because no dog swallowed ammunition.

  • colbys-3-bar
    10/01/2015 - 09:10 p.m.

    This procedure wasn't covered in Sarah Sexton's school because most people don't have guns and a dog eating bullets is very unusual. This article surprised me because I have never heard of a dog that ate bullets.

Take the Quiz Leave a comment
ADVERTISEMENT