Barbie makes doll of hijab-wearing Olympian Ibtihaj Muhammad Ibtihaj Muhammad holds a Barbie doll in her likeness at the 2017 Glamour Women of the Year Awards at Kings Theatre on Monday, Nov. 13, 2017, in New York. (Photo by Evan Agostini/Invision/AP/U.S. Embassy London)
Barbie makes doll of hijab-wearing Olympian Ibtihaj Muhammad

Mattel Inc. said the doll will be available online next fall. The doll is part of the Barbie "Shero" line. It honors women who break boundaries. Past dolls have included gymnast Gabby Douglas and "Selma" director Ava DuVernay.

"I had so many moments as an athlete, where I didn't feel included. I was often in spaces where there was a lack of representation."

That's what Muhammad said las Monday night at the Glamour Women of the Year gala in New York. "So to be in this moment, as a U.S. Olympian, to have Mattel, such a global brand, diversify their toy line to include a Barbie doll that wears a hijab is very moving to me."

"There was so much about the doll that was important to me," she said.

"I know as a kid I was bullied for having larger legs, and sport taught me to embrace my body and to love my body and the strength that it could produce. I think that having strong legs helped me win a medal at the Olympic Games, so I wanted my legs to be larger, more athletic legs, toned legs. And I am very into eyeliner, so I wanted a strong-winged cat eye. And Mattel listened to everything, everything even down to the fabric of the hijab.”

How can toys affect society?

• JustinM-del
    11/22/2017 - 02:23 p.m.

this article is about Ibtihaj Muhammad and Muhammad is the first American to compete at the Olympics while wearing a hijab. She won a bronze medal in fencing at the 2016 Rio Games.The maker of Barbie has announced it will sell a doll modeled after Ibtihaj Muhammad. She is an American fencer who competed in last year's Olympics. While competing, she wore a hijab.

• JadeR-del
    11/22/2017 - 04:34 p.m.

The main idea of the article is that Barbie is making a Barbie doll. But not just any blonde doll with a pink dress. This doll is Ibtihaj Muhammad, an American fencer who was in the Olympics and won bronze in the 2016 Rio games! She wore a hijab and was the first to complete the Olympics while wearing a hijab. She broke boundaries and is very inspiring. The Barbie doll, which is coming out next fall is amazing because it shows how in my opinion you don't have to have blonde hair, a skinny waist, and body to be an inspirational, boundary breaking woman!

• PriscillaD-del
    11/22/2017 - 06:52 p.m.

This article is about how Mattel (a company that makes Barbie dolls) is making a Barbie doll of hijab-wearing Ibtihaj Muhammad. This doll will be a part of the "Shero" line. It honors women who break boundaries. This Barbie doll shows diversity and difference; and it's inspiring, great, and moving.

• EvanC-del
    11/22/2017 - 07:23 p.m.

They made a barbie for Ibtihaj because they want to recognize her for her hard work and congratulate her. Barbies affect society by inspiring young girls that this person did something and that she can do the same. Ibtihaj was ashamed of her body and you should never be.

• ChloeR-del
    11/22/2017 - 09:28 p.m.

The main idea is that it is the first time Mattel put a hijab on a Barbie doll. An Olympian named Ibtihaj Muhammad was one of the chosen women to become a Barbie. She got third place in the Olympics for fencing, and she was and still is the only U.S women to wear a hijab.This passage proves that even a symbol like Barbie can adapt to reflect the diversity of modern women.

• PoojaT-del
    11/22/2017 - 11:22 p.m.

This was a very interesting article to read. The main idea of this article the maker of Barbie has announced it will sell a doll modeled after Ibtihaj Muhammad. Overall, this was a great article to read.

• EsmeraldaV-del
    11/23/2017 - 09:07 a.m.

Toys can affect society. Usually, barbie dolls are a little girls favorite toy. This is just an example. Little girls want to look like barbi s, but thats not necessarily a good thing.

• AkshayB-del
    11/23/2017 - 12:46 p.m.

Overall this story was about the company Barbie makes doll of hijab-wearing Olympian Ibtihaj Muhammad. This so called doll of a Olympic women who wears a hijab basically shows diversity to people.

• ZofiaT-del
    11/23/2017 - 02:54 p.m.

The main idea of this article is how the Barbie has made a model of hijab-wearing Olympian Ibtihaj Muhammad. She is a Olympian fencer who competed in last years Olympics. This doll is part of the Barbie Shero line. It honors woman who "break boundaries".

• JaidenV-del
    11/23/2017 - 08:28 p.m.

The barbie doll of the first woman to compete in the Olympics while wearing a hijab , the doll makes a big impact on the world because it honors women who break boundaries