Author provides maps to classic stories This is the literary map of "A Wrinkle in Time" (Andrew DeGraff/Zest Books)
Author provides maps to classic stories

A great book captivates readers by conjuring incredible worlds from words. These imaginative places exist in the cherished space between writers and their audiences.  But occasionally, the illusion blends into other forms of art.

That's exactly what happened when artist Andrew DeGraff interpreted the literary worlds of Robinson Crusoe, Huckleberry Finn and Phileas Fogg for his recent collection, Plotted: A Literary Atlas. His lavishly detailed illustrations are literary maps of classic stories. They help readers "navigate the twists and turns of complex storylines," writes Linda Poon for CityLab.

DeGraff's work pulls readers into old favorites like A Wrinkle in Time, The Odyssey and Around the World in 80 Days. The collection also features non-fiction maps, inspired by books such as Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, which maintain historical accuracy. The fictional ones were left to DeGraff's wild imagination.

In the Los Angeles Review of Books, Jonathan Russell Clark writes:

My favorite of the bunch is of Jorge Luis Borges's story "The Library of Babel."  It describes an endless library comprised of "an indefinite, perhaps infinite, number of hexagonal galleries, with enormous ventilation shafts in the middle, encircled by very low railings." The Library contains all possible books ever written.  It is so full of knowledge that it is actually quite useless to its patrons. DeGraff first presents a wide view of the Library from above, so it looks like a detail of a mechanical beehive. Then, in a close-up, we can spot people in the galleries, wandering around, looking for answers.

To get a look behind the scenes, DeGraff released several time-lapse videos that reveal how he crafted his remarkably intricate maps. And if those literary worlds aren't enough, intrepid cinephiles can always jump into DeGraff's movie-inspired illustrations. Just remember: don't get too lost.

Creating the Island of Despair, from Robinson Crusoe - Andrew DeGraff from Andrew DeGraff on Vimeo.

Why did the author need to rely on his imagination for some maps?

• evanm-hor
    12/06/2015 - 04:08 p.m.

the authors purpose is to inform. the thing that i learned is that i didn't know that authors map out maps of their books. I agree with the stuff in this article because that i like how degraff does his maps on his books. if I will be a author i would make a map at the end of my books to make the picture in there heads.

• annabel1226-yyca
    12/07/2015 - 08:55 p.m.

I think it is really boring. I hope that the author should make the maps more fun. If I were him than I would make it like a comic book and it has to be accurate. I will be glad to learn fun maps. I think I should be a map-maker. I think I should be a map-maker because the map-makers are really telling boring maps stuff. If I were them then I would make it like a game place.

• tengis2-dun
    12/07/2015 - 08:59 p.m.

He needed to rely on his imagination because he made the maps realistic.

• calis-3-bar
    12/07/2015 - 10:04 p.m.

The author needed to rely on his imagination for some of his maps because, although they are based off of books, some books did not give enough detail about each place located in it. For the author to conjure up an image, they would need a lot of description for each place they had to draw. Because books are meant to leave some things up to the imagination, the author would need to create some of the details himself, as the books don't supply them. I thought this article was cool, as the art is spectacular. It is nice to be able to put an image to the classic stories I have read over the years, and his style of art is great for portraying them. Overall, I liked this article and I found it very interesting.

• neilm-pay
    12/08/2015 - 11:18 a.m.

By the author providing this map it actually helps out most people to understand and see what he's talking about in the story. so to end this i say Great.

• dashiellg-3-bar
    12/10/2015 - 06:31 p.m.

The author needed to rely on his imagination for some maps because that is what makes the maps more interesting to see the authors point of view on things. I thought it was interesting how the maps and drawings were formed. It looked like abstract art.

• audreyv-4-bar
    12/10/2015 - 06:52 p.m.

The author needed to rely on his imagination for some of the maps, because the books that he did his maps based on does not provide any visual image-just context. Because there was no image given to get inspiration from, the author needed to use his own imagination to inspire his image.

I found this article very interesting, because I always enjoy a book that has a visual image to show where and how the scene is taking place.

• brandonw-1-ver
    2/25/2016 - 07:58 a.m.

Because he is reading a book and he has to draw a map of it. He need some imagination to help him to draw.