Artist recreates New York City grocery store using felt Meat purveyors Chris Hinke, left, and Rich DeNatale, visit the butcher's case of British artist Lucy Sparrow's all-felt model of a New York City bodega, in New York's Meatpacking district, Monday, June 5, 2017. (AP Photo/Richard Drew)
Artist recreates New York City grocery store using felt

If the hot dogs in one New York City bodega feel a little, well, soft and squishy, don't worry, it's not a health hazard. It's art.

A British artist has recreated the contents of a city bodega entirely in felt. That is the soft material usually favored by the school-going set. Lucy Sparrow's "8 Till Late" opened to the public in a 1,200-square-foot space. It is at The Standard hotel on Manhattan's west side. It runs through June 30.

Sparrow handmade the 9,000 items in the installation. The items cover practically everything you might find in the small stores that are synonymous with New York City. There are felt jars of peanut butter and jelly as well as packages of white bread; felt pizza slices and pretzels on the felt grill along with felt hot dogs; felt boxes of detergent and a felt fridge filled with felt ice cream.

The artist has been working in felt for years and says the material "evokes nostalgia with people."

The New York City exhibit follows a similar one Sparrow created in London. That one is called "The Cornershop." The point of both, she said, was to generate conversation about what is lost when small mom-and-pop stores like bodegas fade away, often with chain stores coming in as replacements.

"A sense of community is being lost when these places disappear," she said.

Sparrow said it took several months to make all the items, working for 16 hours every day toward the end of her production period. Among her favorite items in the shop are the sausages and other products in the meat case, all of which have eyes and faces.

"It's very cute but sort of gruesome at the same time," she said.
And in the interests of the items appearing truthful, she of course included that mainstay of the bodegas, the cat that can usually be seen lolling on a pallet of cans or strolling through the aisles.

"I had at least 20 people say to me that having a bodega cat was probably the most important thing about this installation," Sparrow said, "so I had to get that right."

What makes this art?

• Gabbyk-dav1
    8/28/2017 - 01:57 p.m.

I think that in the article "Artist recreates New York City grocery store using felt," the creation is art because it is a creative work that probably took the artist a very long time. Some evidence to support this is that in the seventh paragraph, it says, "Sparrow said it took several months to make all the items, working for 16 hours every day toward the end of her production period." Some evidence to support that it's creative is that in the third paragraph it says "The items cover practically everything you might find in the small stores that are synonymous with New York City." I think that the artist is good at art because she made 9,000 items for the "store."

• nikkis-lew
    8/29/2017 - 03:20 p.m.

It is quite amazing how one woman can make a whole store of foods made out of felt. It says in the article that she works sixteen hours a day. Students only go to school for around 8 hours a day, half of what she works.It must take a lot of dedication to be able to work on something for that long and not give up. She was also extremely keen to details, which shows just how much thought she put into this.

• kirshaunm-orv
    9/03/2017 - 01:31 p.m.

What makes this art is it's coming from someones heart. Sparrow didn't have to use her time to make a whole store out of felt she could have been at home sleeping but she decided to make ART!

• Audreyc-dav
    9/25/2017 - 12:53 p.m.

The passage Artist recreates New York City grocery store using felt is about A British artist has recreated a New York New York City bodega of felt, and I mean entirely felt.Sparrow handmade the 9,000 items in the installation. The items cover practically everything you might find in the small stores that are synonymous with New York City. There are felt jars of peanut butter and jelly as well as packages of white bread, felt pizza slices and pretzels on the felt grill along with felt hot dogs, felt boxes of detergent and a felt fridge filled with felt ice cream. This is art because it was handmade, she had an idea she made it come true by taking materials she had and precisely sewed the felt together. She used many different colors and makes it pleasing to the eye. I really like the picture because it looks very realistic and is very colorful. I can only imagine how long it took to make that whole thing.Lucy Sparrow's "8 Till Late" opened to the public in a 1,200-square-foot space. It is at The Standard hotel on Manhattan's west side. It runs through June 30.

• kathrynd-lew
    9/29/2017 - 09:39 a.m.

The artist that created this weird but interesting piece must have a great imagination. It is also pretty cool that they wanted to help bring back feelings from the time when people knew their neighbors and actually mingled with the people in their community.

• lizs-lew
    9/29/2017 - 09:39 a.m.

This article was very unique. Making food related items,and mimicking a store's setting was very interesting to me. I think its amazing that the artist did all the work for such a unique outcome.

• AnnabelK-buh
    10/02/2017 - 08:10 p.m.

I think that it is really cool that Lucy Sparrow created a whole grocery store out of felt. Once it was finished it looked realistic (besides the eyes on the meats). My favorite piece would probably be the cat because I love cats. I wonder what she will do next?

• abaug-wim
    10/27/2017 - 01:14 p.m.

The article "Artist creates New York City store using felt," defiantly caught my eye! I think Lucy Sparrows creation is very interesting and I have never seen someone do that. In the text it says 9,000 items for the store. This told me she took a very long time and put a lot of effort into it. I think that this probaly will inspire others to recreate something like this. I really enjoyed looking and reading this!