Apple CEO: More computer science and coding education needed Jaysean Erby raises his hands as he solves a coding problem, as Apple CEO Tim Cook watches from behind at an Apple Store, Wednesday, Dec. 9, 2015 in New York. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan)
Apple CEO: More computer science and coding education needed

Teaching kids to code is just as important as teaching them any other language. And the younger they start learning it, the better, according to Apple CEO Tim Cook.

Cook spoke to a group of New York third graders. They visited an Apple store in Manhattan for an "Hour of Code" class. In an interview afterward, he said that schools aren't putting enough emphasis on computer-science education. But he has "great hope" that will change. And he hopes coding will ultimately become a required class for all kids.

"From an economic standpoint, the job segment itself today is huge. But it's going to become even larger," Cook said.

And if the concepts are introduced at a young age, in a fun way, it's more likely that kids will find them cool and stay interested as they grow older, hopefully resulting in a larger and more diverse tech workforce down the road, he said.

Cook added that even if kids don't grow up to get a lucrative job in the tech industry, they'll discover a new way to be creative. And they can pick up important problem-solving skills along the way.

The kids at the Dec. 9 event played a Star Wars-themed game created by the non-profit group Code.org in partnership with Disney. On iPad Minis, they used basic drag-and-drop commands to program their droid to do things like pick up scrap metal and evade Stormtroopers.

Their teacher, Joann Khan, said the kids' introduction to coding was probably a first for most of her students. She noted that her school, located in Manhattan's East Harlem neighborhood, no longer has a computer lab.

She said the lessons taught through the game bring to life some of the math skills the kids are learning in her classroom. It is something she planned to point out to them when they returned to school.

The "Hour of Code" workshop was one of many held by Apple Inc. and a slew of other technology companies around the world. It was part of a Code.org push to introduce as many kids as possible to computer science through a one-hour class.

Why does Apple CEO Tim Cook think that computer language is as important as any other language?

• evanm-hor
    12/15/2015 - 02:48 p.m.

i think that the authors purpose is to persuade. i think it is to persuade because that they want to tell us that the younger the person that starts coding the better they are.

• lindsayh-hor
    12/15/2015 - 02:51 p.m.

I think that its smart to teach students how to use and do technology. I think the authors purpose of this article is to inform others of what and should be done for children to have a better education and maybe a better job when they get older. I have learned from this article to want to go and learn more on technology because I could maybe be a little bit smarter if I did the games and activates that these kids did. So I agree with the opinions on this article because maybe those children or even me could be better off in life with the technology that they are learning.

• Brandon1231-YYCA
    12/15/2015 - 08:56 p.m.

The Apple CEO are now teaching kids how to program and how to do things on the Ipad. It is now changing because before, they started to do things like this in Middle School and High School, but now they are starting hard programming at elementary school. This is changing the way how the kids are going to learn. I'm learning coding in 7th grade in my computer class, now these kids are learning things that I'm learning now. They are now pushing the limits for the education of technology for a reason that I don't know.

• samanthao-ver
    12/16/2015 - 09:48 a.m.

Yes, we do need to know how to do important things for school on the computer but also it is going to make things a lot harder because if something breaks then we have to wait for someone to come fix it you can't just call them and they will come right away because they have other jobs to do besides that.

• collinf-2-bar
    12/16/2015 - 05:47 p.m.

Tim Cook thinks that computer language is as important as any other language because there are many jobs in the computer industry. "From an economic standpoint, the job segment itself today is huge. But it's going to become even larger."

I am interested in this article because I might want to take one of the classes mentioned.

• alexanderc-6-bar
    12/17/2015 - 10:03 p.m.

• natalier-4-bar
    12/17/2015 - 11:13 p.m.

Apple CEO, Tim Cook thinks that computer language is as important as any other language because, "From an economic standpoint, the job segment itself today is huge. But it's going to become even larger,"(paragraph 3). Cook feels that computer language is just as important as any other language because jobs that require knowing computer language are more popular and there will be a lot more job opportunities there in the future and it will benefit kids if they learn how to read coding from a young age. It is also important for kids to learn coding/computer language because it teaches them how to be creative in a different way. Coding also teaches kids good problem solving skills. I liked this article because it mentioned code.org and we use that program in my tech class. It's cool to know that other kids use it as well.

• sofiat-4-bar
    12/18/2015 - 12:09 a.m.

Apple CEO Tim Cook thinks that computer language is as important as any other language because that is the number one way people comunicate these days, and how people share information weather its through games, artcles, or videos. "'From an economic standpoint, the job segment itself today is huge. But it's going to become even larger,' Cook said." I personally think that since the internet is used so much these days they should take advantage of it and actually teach people something.

• michaely-6-bar
    12/18/2015 - 11:59 p.m.

Tim Cook the CEO of Apple thinks it's important because it is easier to play games and activities. I think that is very nice. Also he is donating some mini iPads. He is a real hero in my opinion. I real would be happy if I was won of those kids. That's at least what I think.

• bethanyk-
    12/22/2015 - 08:30 a.m.

Tim Cook probably thinks that coding and computer language is important because it is important to our future. Many jobs already rely on computers, and they are going to start to even more. Computer language is going to be needed to get certain jobs, and people can't live without computers anymore.