90-degree weather forces snow day (Thinkstock)
90-degree weather forces snow day

On a day when temperatures surged past 90 degrees in central New Jersey, an electrical problem forced a school district to declare a snow day.
Really.

Classes were canceled Aug. 8 in Keyport because of a malfunctioning component at the district's elementary school.

Officials cited student safety concerns. They noted the building lacked reliable power. That meant students and staff members were facing a day with no phones, Internet or fire alarms.

Keyport Superintendent Lisa Savoia told the Asbury Park Press the district logged the unexpected day off as a snow day. Two are built into its school calendar.

Why is a lack of electrical power a safety issue?

• avab-4-bar
    9/17/2015 - 05:38 p.m.

The lacking of electrical power is a safety issue because if there were to be a fire or emergency at the school the fire alarms wouldn't work and the telephones wouldn't work either.

I feel that that this article was very interesting because I didn't know that when the weather gets too hot the power doesn't work and the school can give a snow day off.

• calis-3-bar
    9/17/2015 - 05:49 p.m.

A lack of electricity could be a safety hazard because without electricity, fire alarms and phones would not work. If a fire alarm didn't work, and there was a fire, students and teachers would be unaware if a fire started and may not be able to get to safety before the fire spread. If phones didn't work, because of no signal, students and teachers wouldn't be able to call for help in the case of an emergency, such as a fire. The article states, " [the officials] noted the building lacked realizable power." Without power, student safety could be at risk. I thought that this article was interesting, but it didn't surprise me. I found it to be interesting because I thought it was unique how the school labeled an electronic malfunction as a snow day. I think that the article could have been a bit longer, but overall I enjoyed reading it.

• Eugene0808-YYCA
    9/17/2015 - 08:54 p.m.

I never knew that there was such thing as a snow day in the summer. There is a reason because the school's elementary school cannot operate without its electricity. The fire alarms will not work which puts children's lives in danger. That is why they told the students that there was going to be no school.
    Why is a lack of electrical power a safety issue?
    Answer: Lack of electrical power is a safety issue because the fire alarms will not work if there was a fire.

• John0724-YYCA
    9/17/2015 - 09:31 p.m.

That is really weird that the whole school had a electric problem which happened in my school yesterday so he had a lot of problems with our work and attendance but the power came back on later. So I still feel sad for them.

• maliab-2-bar
    9/17/2015 - 11:30 p.m.

This is really interesting that a school had to have a "snow day" because it got so hot. I wish our school would get that hot.

• kayah-4-bar
    9/17/2015 - 11:41 p.m.

A lack of electrical power is a safety issue because there is no way to contact anybody with your cell phone if your in danger, you may get injured by an electrical outlet or any outlet, and there are many ways of getting injured with a lack of electrical power. I found this article very interesting because I never thought it was possible for a lack of electrical power during heat.

• matthewp-6-bar
    9/17/2015 - 11:58 p.m.

A lack of electrical power is a safety issue because the school would not be able to call the ambulance or the police if an accident or a crime occurs and if a fire occurs the alarm would not go off which could cost lives as shown by the article,"That meant students and staff members were facing a day with no phones, internet, or fire alarms." This article surprised me because I did not think a school would be cancelled because a lack of reliable power.

• heatherm-4-bar
    9/18/2015 - 12:15 a.m.

Something similar happened to us, but with the hot weather we got no PE and got free time. This is important because people actually do get ill from staying in heat.

• satchelr-6-bar
    9/18/2015 - 12:18 a.m.

Overheating can lead to all sorts of health issues. This article is interesting because of the hilarious error made by the faculty.

• caitlynk-2-bar
    9/18/2015 - 12:20 a.m.

The lack of electrical power is a safety issue because according to the article above, "That meant students and staff members were facing a day with no phones, Internet or fire alarms." This could be a safety issue because there may be a fire, but with out the fire alarms or cell phones to contact the fire department that may be a major problem. I found this article interesting because I was not aware that heat waves could cause black outs. That is also why this article surprised me.