Young cancer survivor gets his wish at NFL draft T.J. Owuanibe, 14, announces the Baltimore Ravens' selection during the first round of the 2017 NFL football draft, Thursday, April 27, 2017, in Philadelphia. (AP Photo/Julio Cortez/AP Photo/Matt Rourke)
Young cancer survivor gets his wish at NFL draft

T.J. Owuanibe got his wish.

The 14-year-old shared center stage with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to announce the Baltimore Ravens' top draft pick.

The eighth grader attends McDonogh School in Baltimore. He was diagnosed two years ago with brain cancer. He recently told Make-A-Wish Mid-Atlantic that he longed to join Goodell at the podium in Philadelphia when the Ravens - his favorite team - made their first-round selection.

And so, when Baltimore decided to take Alabama cornerback Marlon Humphrey with the 16th overall pick, Owuanibe jumped into action to help complete the process.

Wearing a gray suit, a bowtie, a light blue shirt and a very serious expression, Owuanibe nervously stood next to Goodell. The commissioner then shared the youth's background with a national audience.

Owuanibe stood stoically until Goodell said, "He loves the Ravens."

And then the boy finally smiled.

An instant after that, Goodell stepped aside. He let Owuanibe move behind the microphone. But it was too high. After Goodell made an adjustment to the microphone, Owuanibe pumped his fist and told football fans around the world who the Ravens picked at No. 16.

Owuanibe loved the Ravens long before he was diagnosed with cancer. In recent years, the teenager met with the coaching staff and several players at training camp through another nonprofit organization. It is the Casey Cares Foundation.

Thus, when his wish was presented to the Ravens front office, the team happily complied. Coach John Harbaugh informed T.J. that his wish has been granted.

T.J.'s cancer is in remission.

What context clues give insight into how T.J. was feeling to be part of the NFL Draft?

• dallasr-kut
    5/09/2017 - 06:39 a.m.

At the beginning T.J. had probably felt very nervous when at the NFL draft. But after Goodell had shared the youths background. Then T.J. had just smiled and he announced the Ravens 16th pick.

• brandond2-bur
    5/09/2017 - 08:36 a.m.

he felt good because the ravens was his favorite team and he got to announce the ravens pick

• grantl-bur
    5/09/2017 - 09:07 a.m.

Many context clues gave insight to how T.J. felt. For example, "Owuanibe pumped his fist and told football fans around the world who the Ravens picked at No. 16. Owuanibe loved the Ravens long before he was diagnosed with cancer." These clues tell me that he was very exited to be a part of the NFL Draft. If I were on the stage, I know I would definitely be exited and looking forward to it.

• KatieM-tar1
      5/22/2017 - 11:43 a.m.

Great post grantl-bur i read your post 3 times through and it makes me so happy that he survived cancer and he finally got his big wish!

• angelesg-bur
    5/09/2017 - 10:00 a.m.

He was nervous and didn't want to look too happy to be there "owuanibe stood stoically until goodell said ,"he loves the ravens".l mean yes he was probably was bursting with happiness and excitement. However he doesn't want a lot of people seeing how short but exciting is life wish is ! Something like that has never happened but I'll keep my fingers crossed , hey who doesn't?!

• kadenm-bur
    5/09/2017 - 10:23 a.m.

I think he was felt very happy because he said "the ravens were his favorite NFL team and wanted the meet them.I remember the time when I went to an nba game and met the bulls.

• annakatew-bur
    5/09/2017 - 01:02 p.m.

In the text it says that T.J. stood at the podium with a very serious face and I think that tells me is that he was nervous, but after Goodell told the audience that T.J. loved the ravens he smiled and I think that shows that he felt more comfortable and happy

• hayleel-ste
    5/09/2017 - 01:40 p.m.

This makes me happy to know that this young man can go through with his dream and be happy after the battle he fought.

• leylal-bur
    5/09/2017 - 02:01 p.m.

T.J was so happy he was nervous also about the NFL Draft.I watch the NFL Draft with my parents and love watching it.

• edgara-bur
    5/09/2017 - 02:11 p.m.

He was feeling happy because that was his dream was to be part of the NFL.