Would you pay to put your music on the moon? A picture of Earth taken by Apollo 11 astronauts in 1969, while in orbit around the moon (NASA photos)
Would you pay to put your music on the moon?

It's the moon mission for the masses.

A project to fund a private lunar exploration mission has begun. It offers the public the chance to take part.

For as little as $15, Lunar Mission One gives the public a chance to buy space on memory discs. The discs will be buried in a hole drilled into the lunar surface.

The public will be invited to leave music, photos and videos on the discs. The project will help create a chronicle of the people of Earth. Those offering more funding will leave more data. This could include DNA in the form of a strand of hair.

The mission plans to land a spacecraft on the moon in 10 years. It will drill a hole at least 21 yards but possibly as deep as 109 yards to access lunar rock that is billions of years old.

It will use crowd-funding platform Kickstarter to finance its development phase.

"We have carried out research and been quite surprised by how keen people are," said David Iron, a British engineer. "School kids think the idea of having a bit of themselves on the moon is fantastic."

Lunar Mission One hopes to tap into the excitement surrounding the European Space Agency's recent historic first. The agency landed a washing machine-sized spacecraft on a comet that was speeding through our solar system at 41,000 mph.

Critical thinking challenge: Why is Lunar Mission One only offering a chance to bury data on the moon? Why arent they offering a guarantee?

• NickB42
    11/24/2014 - 10:46 a.m.

If people decide to do this are they going to get the stuff back or is it going to be there forever? Are people going to did up the objects in many of years?

• NickB42
    11/24/2014 - 10:47 a.m.

• Dougla5
    11/25/2014 - 01:45 p.m.

Would you ever get any of the things back or are they there forever. They could put like current things on the moon to show next generations what it was like now.

• AG2001TACO
    12/01/2014 - 01:01 p.m.

They cant guarantee it because everyone would want to put their music on the moon and there is a limit to data and also not all of the provided music will be helpful.

• ChloeN-Bla
    12/01/2014 - 04:35 p.m.

I read the article "Would you pay money to put your music on the moon?"

1) I thought it was fascinating to read that people where wondering to put other peoples music on the moon. 2) Why is Lunar Mission the only one going to to the moon to offer this? I think that why he would do this is so spactionarys where able to find what kind of music there is and i think they would find it inter sting. 3) It's amazing to read that for as little as $15 Lunar Mission did this.

• Johnny-Kue
    12/01/2014 - 05:14 p.m.

I read the article would you pay to put your music on the moon.My reaction was it can cost very little amount of money. Information that i found sup rising was that it could cost as little a $15.Howould it only cost 15 dollars. My connections is i always wanted to go the moon.

critical thinking lunar mission one hopes to tap into the excitement surrounding the european space agency recent historic first.

• CameronS-2
    12/01/2014 - 08:30 p.m.

This article is about the lunar exploration in space and how it can be earths second planet.Than plan to have trips to the planet in more than ten years that will require a fee of $15. I can't wait for us to live on the other planets and i wonder what future technology has to offer for us next.

• Eriku2
    12/01/2014 - 08:30 p.m.

This article is about leaving thing on the moon. For money you can leave something important to you like music on the mon. I think this is good because if weall die there will still be a trace of us.

• JoeZ-Bla
    12/01/2014 - 08:33 p.m.

1.I read the article "Would you pay to put your music on the moon?" 2.A question I had is why would you pay to put your music on the moon? You already paid to buy it and now you are paying $15 to put it in a place that you'll never get it back from. I understand that this is a once in a life time event but I don't think I would pay for something then pay even more to give it away. 3.One of my thoughts about burying peoples things on the moon is that it's a waste of money and it will pollute the beautiful moon. We have done too much damage to the earth with all our waste and clutter. I would hate to see the moon become the humans junk yard. 4. The CTQ asks "Why is Lunar Mission One only offering a chance to bury data on the moon? Why arent they offering a guarantee?". I'm not sure about this but they might not be able to succeed or not have enough money to proceed with their plan. They may not offer a guarantee because they could have an overload in interested people up for the mission and wouldn't be able to include everyone or if the mission fails they will lose the money and products the people would be shipping and not be able to give anything back.

• SofiaA-4
    12/01/2014 - 11:45 p.m.

A project called Lunar Mission One gives normal people the opportunity to keep a disc storing music, pictures, videos, and other digital things on the moon. People, especially kids, seem excited to have a part of themselves, or something they love, on the moon. People have even sent strands of hair to the organization just so they can have a part of their DNA on the moon. How these things will be put on the moon is through a special process. The organization will send spacecraft to drill a hole and have the discs stored in it.

I think it would be fascinating to have something of you or something you cared about to be on such a faraway place. I would be proud if part of me were reaching other places and not just stuck on Earth.