Would you pay for poo from a zoo? Frank Cummins, horticulturist at Binder Park Zoo, stands with some of the manure/compost the zoo will have for sale, in Battle Creek, Michigan
Would you pay for poo from a zoo?

It's called "Zoo Doo," a composted mixture of manure. And a zoo in Michigan is selling the stuff.

Binder Park Zoo in Battle Creek is hosting a "Zoo Doo" event Thursday and June 5.

The zoo has compost available from herbivores - animals that feed on grass and other plants - that will sell at $25 a load to zoo members. Nonmembers will pay $30. The price is a deal, since cow manure can sell for around $2 or $3 a bag. That's what horticulturist Frank Cummins told the Battle Creek Enquirer.

Zebra, antelope, giraffe and other animals are contributing to the gardening aid, the Kalamazoo Gazette reports.

Binder Park Zoo says it's a "fun and creative way" to raise money. And dispose of waste. It also uses the compost as fertilizer at its facilities.

Critical thinking challenge: Why would a zoo sell this stuff. Who benefits? The buyer, the seller or both?

• DavidR7777777
    5/29/2014 - 10:46 a.m.

I personally would not buy " zoo doo" i would have no use for it. if i were a gardener i could use it to plant my flowers or other plants. The zoo benefits from this product because they are getting money for something they don't need.

• GEORGEC-ZDE
    5/29/2014 - 10:50 a.m.

"Zoo Doo" is a very interesting idea. This composed mixture of manure, although expensive, can be very helpful to both the buyer and the seller. It helps to raise money for the wildlife in the zoo, and it helps the buyer's plants grow very quickly and proficiently. Sometimes thought of as "gross", manure is actually very helpful to the environment. It is an organic way to grow plants that, contrary to most fertilizers, does not harm the plants in any way. Since "Zoo Doo" is a mixture of various herbivores' feces, and each of the herbivores eat a diverse diet, the plants that are fertilized with this manure will likely grow much faster than other plants that are grown with other types of fertilizers.

• CORYK-ZDE
    5/29/2014 - 11:46 a.m.

Well I would not pay for that just for "fun". It seems disgusting but it is beneficial for the zoo. If I were to be a gardener i would might would prefer to buy this "Zoo Doo' but as a i am now (just visiting the zoo) I would not.

• ANTHONYG-ZDE
    5/29/2014 - 11:53 a.m.

This is unbelievable. Why would anyone want to pay more money for some stupid "Zoo Doo"? Well, maybe it does raise money but also wastes customers money. Maybe its the catchy name that catches customers attention.

• GraceLin
    5/29/2014 - 02:02 p.m.

When I read it's called "Zoo Doo", it reminds me of when i stepted in dog poo.
    I wonder why they would sell "Zoo Doo"?
    EWW. i hope they stop selling poo at a zoo.

• DakotaGreenQ4
    5/29/2014 - 02:47 p.m.

i would not pay to look at poo it is disgusting i think if i want to look at poo i would get a puppy and let it poo .

• Chad5515
    5/29/2014 - 02:58 p.m.

I think both people buyer and seller benefit from this because the zoo can just keep making the zoo doo and they can just keep on selling it and making money. Then the buyer has a "advanced" substence to use for there garden.

• TeaganredQ4
    5/29/2014 - 04:44 p.m.

I would not buy poo from a zoo thats just weird if i wanted to buy poo i would easily can get it for free.

• Micah06
    5/29/2014 - 05:03 p.m.

I have only one word for this, weird. On a craziness scale of one to ten, I'd say the person who thought this up is a strong eleven. The people who will actually buy it are easily ranging from twelve to twenty. This just makes no sense, only the zoo could ever profit. I mean really, if people want poo straight out of the chute, they should just get a pet.

• Jason0421-YYCA
    5/29/2014 - 08:38 p.m.

I think that it is a great idea to sell manure if you have a zoo, because it is hard finding manure in stores, shops and etc. I also think that it is a great deal because you can get a load of manure. I also think that it is going to be a great success because many people have gardens, so a lot of people might buy it from there.
    Answer: The person who benefits this is both the seller and the buyer because the buyer gets a load of manure for a good amount off money, and they get money infinitely because they have a zoo of animals.