Would you pay $46,532 for jeans? Levi's did. Actor James Dean is seen during a scene from the Warner Bros. 1956 epic, "Giant." The film is a story of three generations of a wealthy Texas ranching family (AP photos)
Would you pay $46,532 for jeans? Levi's did.

Tourism officials in Nevada are planning a festival in Reno next fall to celebrate the city as the birthplace of what became modern blue jeans.

Jacob Davis created riveted denim jeans in 1871 in a downtown Reno tailor shop. Two years later, he and Levi Strauss & Co. patented the pants with the rivets to the corners and pockets. They became the sturdy favorites of miners, loggers and cowboys, because they didn't wear out like regular pants.

The festival next year will be Oct. 2-4. It will celebrate the iconic trousers' impact on popular culture. Plans include concerts, fashion shows, a retail marketplace and a showing of films that were milestones in the history of blue jeans. Those include James Dean's "Rebel Without a Cause."

"Those of us fortunate to live and work in Reno-Tahoe USA now like to brag, 'We have copper rivets in our genes,'" said Chris Baum, CEO of the Reno-Sparks Convention and Visitors Authority, using a pun.

Interest in Davis' role in the birth of jeans grew in 2001. That's when the San Francisco-based Levi Strauss & Co. purchased what it said was the oldest known jeans in the world. It was a pair dating to an 1880s mining town in Nevada. The jeans sold at auction for $46,532.

Baum became boss of the RSCVA in 2012. He said he had never heard of Reno's connection to Levi's. Then a resident telephoned him with the story. He started doing research to see if there was a way to use jeans to help promote the region.

He said next October's event will help fill a void in the tourism calendar. It comes just before the Sierra ski season opens.

Critical thinking challenge: How is Chris Baums quote a pun?

• Aw2000red
    10/06/2014 - 08:43 a.m.

I understand that style is everything but that's a little to much for jeans. Like levi I understand jeans are a part of everybody's wardrobe.

• jaelync
    10/06/2014 - 08:51 a.m.

that is soooo crazy who would buy a pair of jeans for 42,000 dollars .you can buy a house(it might be a small one) at the price of that you can buy a car (it will be awesome like a ford or probably any kind of car but no.....he wants jeans!. that is crazy... some people don't even have that kind of money let alone to spend it on jeans.... just crazy!!the highest amount of money i would pay for jeans is .... about....maybe like 50 bucks for a pair of jeans i would never buy a pair more then that ..... unless someone like Kristen Stewart or Becky g or someone famous were them... so that's my opinion what's yours!

• Haley Turner
    10/06/2014 - 12:06 p.m.

I personally wouldn't pay $46,532 for a simple pair of jeans. Even if the jeans are actually dating back to the 1880's, I wouldn't pay that much for them UNLESS I was a person that worked at a museum where that type of clothing would be acceptable and appreciated. I hope that is really a pair of 1880 jeans so those people didn't waste any of their money.

• km1999bieber
    10/06/2014 - 01:05 p.m.

Chris Baum's quote is a pun because no one would pay that much money for a pair of jeans and even if someone did buy it they wouldn't want to brag about it because other people could get jeans for a better price. But paying $46,532 for a pair of jeans is outrageous!

• evanisawesomelol
    10/06/2014 - 01:13 p.m.

I personally would never buy a pear of jeans for that much money, with $46,532 i could do so much more with that money. A $30 pair of Levis in my opinion is better. I can actually get those dirty, those expensive things most likely aren't durable and more for style and fashion. Altho the thrill of buying something that expensive probably does give you a sense of ownership you cant feel with a cheap pair of jeans.

• ZchristineZ
    10/06/2014 - 01:16 p.m.

Honestly,$ 46,532 is a lot of money for one pair of jeans, but if they are from 1880 that is one historical piece of America. I might buy them if i worked at museum. Other than that i probably wouldn't pay more than a $100 dollars at the MOST for jeans. instead of buying the jeans I think I just check them out at the festival.

• Morgan_L
    10/06/2014 - 01:16 p.m.

I would never buy a pair of jeans that are that expensive, unless the pair of jeans were made of gold. The only thing that I would pay that much money for is a car, or a house. That is amazing that someone would buy a pair of jeans that expensive. What are they going to do with them any way. Hang them up on a wall, what a waist of money.

• Pwny
    10/06/2014 - 01:42 p.m.

I would never pay so much for buying a brand of pants. Levi's could take the jean idea and reimagine it instead of paying for the idea.

• A.R.S
    10/06/2014 - 01:44 p.m.

That is way too much money for jeans. If I pay $20 for one pair that is my maximum. Let alone $46,532, that is insane even for something historic.

• Dibelibeanibey
    10/06/2014 - 01:48 p.m.

I would totally buy those jeans! $46,532 ain't that much! Just kidding, I would never pay that much for any type of clothing unless I became a billionaire. At first I thought it just meant regular jeans but then I found out it was as historic item, which made way more sense.