Would you pay $3,200,000 for a comic book? The June 1938 cover of Action Comics, featuring the first appearance of Superman (AP photos)
Would you pay $3,200,000 for a comic book?

A rare, nearly flawless copy of the first edition of a Superman comic book has sold for a super-powered price, $3.2 million.

New York comics dealers Stephen Fishler and Vincent Zurzolo said they submitted Sunday's record-setting bid in the eBay auction. Action Comics No. 1 is the 1938 book in which the superhero first appeared. It's believed to be the highest price ever paid for a comic book, surpassing $2.1 million for another high-quality copy of the same book in 2011.

"It's hard to believe that a kid's 10-cent comic could be worth that much money, but it is Superman," Fishler said. "It's the first time anybody saw what a superhero was like."

EBay confirmed the price but said it couldn't yet disclose the buyer's name.

Superman was created by Cleveland teenagers Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster. Action Comics No. 1 introduces the Man of Steel and his earthly role as reporter Clark Kent. Superman, who came from the mythical planet of Krypton, became a champion of the oppressed.

About 100 to 150 copies are believed to exist, only a handful of them in top condition. The book that was sold Sunday got a 9.0 on a 10-point scale used to measure vintage comic books' condition.

It was kept for decades in a cedar chest in the West Virginia mountains by a man who had bought it off a newsstand, seller Darren Adams told The Washington Post. Adams is a Washington-based collectibles dealer.

After the original owner died, a collector bought it from his estate and built a similar cedar chest to store it, Adams told the Post.

Fishler and Zurzolo own ComicConnect.com, which auctioned the 2011 record-setter and a slightly less well-preserved Action Comics No. 1 for more than $1 million in 2010. The rising prices have been fueled by superhero movies and growing interest in comic books as investments.

Critical thinking challenge: Why is the condition of the comic book important?

• billy22403
    8/28/2014 - 11:55 a.m.

I don't agree with them . Its only a comic book . Sure its a first edition ,but seriously its a comic book for christ sake gosh.

• Hannah6731
    8/28/2014 - 12:05 p.m.

Okay, so you have to look at how old this book is, first. It was made, when? 1938. That means it was made 76 years ago. So you have a 76 year-old book, in almost perfect condition. Do you know how rare that must be? Besides, this apparently was the comic where Super Man first appeared- meaning it's worth even more money than normal. Now, why someone would pay $3,200,000 for a comic book, I can't say. But I'm more of a Marvel person, anyway....

• matthewm0210
    8/28/2014 - 12:12 p.m.

I cant belive a comic book cost so much and the condition of it matters because i mean who wants a torn comic book anyway

• mlindoro0623
    8/28/2014 - 05:02 p.m.

I think the comic is worth that money because its one of the first superman books and its pretty rare. There's only one hundred to one hundred and fifty to exist. And Lastly,I think its worth the money because its in good condition to. That's why i think this comic is worth 3,200,00

• timothyh-jen
      11/18/2015 - 02:39 p.m.

3,200,000

• scastaneda0623
    8/28/2014 - 05:04 p.m.

I think it's awesome that somebody could afford $3.2 million dollars! The thing that is very intersecting is that somebody will just collect stuff for decorating, but I guess that's why we call collectors. The only thing I hope for the person who bouthgt it gets in good shape when it arrives to the buyer.

• emma.v09301
    8/28/2014 - 06:15 p.m.

The value is just a number someone wants for a old "perfect condition" comic book. which if you ask me comic books are stupid and priceless.

• spencernc
    8/29/2014 - 09:49 a.m.

why would you pay 3.2 million dollars for a comic book why the first superman .who haves the money for it and why would buy it

• cordell2015
    8/29/2014 - 11:18 a.m.

I wouldnt pay 3.2 million dollar for a Comic book thats crazy 1 I aint got no money to being paying for a Comic book an I dont even read Comic books soo I think you crazy if you buy a Comic book dat cost 3.2 million dollar

• haley6-Bor
      8/29/2014 - 02:04 p.m.

Well SOME people have way too much money and nothing to spend it on. So they just buy stuff that's way to expensive and overpriced!