Would you cook a meal for your dog? The Doggy Cooking Network, a unique YouTube show for those into canine cuisine, recorded in Safety Harbor, Florida (AP Photos / Courtesy Kris Rotonda)
Would you cook a meal for your dog?

Is the way to a dog's heart is through its stomach?

No one believes this more than Kris Rotonda and Denise Fernandez. The couple conceived the Doggy Cooking Network and founded online dating service YouMustLoveDogsDating.com. That's where pooch-loving singles can connect with potential mates.

Their Doggy Cooking Network on YouTube taps into the popularity of cooking shows like "The Pioneer Woman" and "Barefoot Contessa." It shows pet owners how to dish up fresh, homemade alternatives to commercial kibble. It struck a chord as serving safe, wholesome food and has become important to people putting more time, money and energy into pet care.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has received reports that dog and cat treats made abroad have killed 1,000 dogs and sickened more than 4,800 pets since 2007. The agency has not been able to prove the chicken, duck or sweet potato jerky treats are causing the illnesses. But large retailers PetSmart and Petco plan to pull them from shelves.

Worried pet owners can find easy home-made recipes in Rotonda and Fernandez's cooking shows. In their videos, they use simple ingredients like chicken, rice and eggs. They make everything from frozen yogurt bars and sweet bean rice to meatloaf birthday cake. And they incorporate food trends like organic and gluten-free snacks.

Ferandez and Rotonda are not professional chefs. But they display quick ways to please a pet's palate after testing the dishes out on their four dogs.

Viewers mix along with the couple as they joke, banter and show off their finished dishes during the four-minute cooking segments. They started their one-of-a-kind show about three months ago. Shows are being posted once a week on YouTube, but they hope to expand soon.

Critical thinking challenge: Why is it important that the recipes be easy?

• dy117-Sch
    11/10/2014 - 08:05 a.m.

In response to "Would you cook a meal for your dog?," I agree that you should on special occasionally cook a special meal for your dog but not all the time. One reason I agree is that they deserve a special; meal they make you feel better when your sad. Another reason is that They will keep going just for you even if it hurts them they just want to satisfy you. It says in the article that "The idea is simple. Food brings families together," Fernandez said. "Only people who are really devoted to their dogs are going to cook for them." This proves that dogs go a long way and that you should cook a meal for them. A third reason why is because if you are willing to go the extra mile for them they will go the extra mile for them. this proves that if you are willing to go the extra mile for them they will go the extra mile for you . Even though some people might think that this is weird cooking a meal for your dog think again, I think it would be fun for you and your dog. In conclusion this is why I think that you should cook the meal for your dog.

• rachel.12
    11/10/2014 - 08:31 a.m.

I think that it is pretty awesome just to have a dog on a tv show. And to cook a meal for a dog! I was really intrested in the story

• brady.q-
    11/10/2014 - 12:44 p.m.

The story is all about would you cook a meal for your dog. I would like to watch doggie cooking network I would cook for Lily I would cook for them everyday and night.

• John0724-YYCA
    11/10/2014 - 08:39 p.m.

I don't know if this is a good idea because if you gives dogs human food then they are going to die faster no matter how much you love them. I don't think that the dog owners Kris Rotonda and Denise Fernandez are a good pet owners because the safest food for dogs are dog food not human food. CRITICAL THINKING CHALLENGE : Why is it important that the recipes be easy? ANSWER : I think that the recipes should be easy because you do not want to cook something hard.

• MaggieM-3
    11/10/2014 - 08:45 p.m.

Kris Rotonda and Denise Fernandez started the Doggy Cooking Network three months ago and once a week they post a four minute segment giving recipes for home made dog food. The couple also founded YouMustLoveDogsDating.com, a online dating program for dog lovers. Many more people are now cooking for their dogs because the foreign made dog food is said to have sickened more than 4,800 pets since 2007. Many major pet stores plan to stop carrying these products, so the easy recipes on the Doggy Cooking Network increased in popularity. The show offers a wide variety of dishes including, but not limited to frozen yogurt bars, sweet bean rice, and meatloaf birthday cake. I think that it is so sweet that people care this much about their dogs and I am defiantly going to try to make some of the recipes. I am however a small bit concerned that the food has not been tested for chemicals dangerous to dogs and things like that but I will certainly give it a go.

• Eugene0808-YYCA
    11/10/2014 - 09:23 p.m.

I think this would be essential for people who don't want to buy commercial kibble for their pets because they can just make it in their houses. I think the people who created the Doggy Cooking Network are amazing because they know recipes that are good for their dogs. The recipes would obviously satisfy dogs' hunger, unless you do something wrong. The fact that dog treats that are made abroad killed 1,000 dogs and sickened 4,800 pets would mean that something has to be done.
    Critical Thinking Challenge: Why is it important that the recipes be easy?
    Answer: It is important that the recipes be easy because people must be able to make the treats for their pets.

• Laurensu-Fre
    11/11/2014 - 09:01 a.m.

I like the idea of cooking for your dog. It shows that you love your dog and shows that they are in the family. My grandma cooks for her dog too. I think it is nice and fun when cook for dog. Well at least people who like to cook. I love to cook. We feed our dog just plain dog food.

• Daniya6-Jar
    11/11/2014 - 10:29 a.m.

Its like they're treating the dogs like humans or something.I don't think that they do that where i live at.Thats a big ol WOW for me.

• Jocelynhe-Fre
    11/11/2014 - 01:03 p.m.

I understand while they are cooking for their dogs, but I was a little dumbfounded when I read the section of the article when it said 'The couple met online at youmustlovedogsdating.com'. Like, what? Why would you make a dating website for people that love dogs? I thought that was just absurd and weird and I was very confused as to why someone would make that website or join it. Besides, I wouldn't join that website, even if it was my last resort.

• AbbyTs-Wil
    11/11/2014 - 03:38 p.m.

I think it would be very nice to give your dog a meal. It would be nice to get a nice warm meal for dinner just because you wouldn't like a cold meal a lot of people like warm meals just like animals. I would give my dog a meal because everyone needs food to survive, cooking a meal for your dog is just like cooking a meal for yourself but for a animal.