World's tallest cow is taller than most people Patty Hanson is all smiles as she holds onto her Holstein cow Blosom (AP photos)
World's tallest cow is taller than most people

Patty Hanson and Blosom the cow smiled as their official Guinness World Records photo was taken after the animal was recognized as the world's tallest cow, at 6-foot-4.

Hanson received an email in mid-August saying Blosom had been named the world's tallest cow. She sought the record after veterinarians and the cow's foot trimmer constantly noted the 2,000-pound animal's large size, Hanson said. At the end of May, family and friends began documenting Blosom's mass. They shot photos and videos and her official measurements were taken by a vet from Orangeville Animal Health Service.

"When I put Blosom's halter on, she knows it's time to go to work greeting people and one of the best things I love about this big cow is she makes people smile. But now when I get to tell them they are looking at the world's tallest cow, I can't wait to see their reaction," Hanson said.

Hanson got Blosom when she was a calf and eventually decided to keep her as a pet. The cow turned 13 in July.

"My dad used to chuckle at Blosom, but soon softened up to her, which is why she stayed home on the farm as an addition to the many pets she adds character," Hanson said.

Hanson said she would like to turn Blosom's story into a children's book.

"Blosom is a bit like an overgrown dog," Hanson said. "To people who have cows, they will get what I am saying but I want other people to know she is special. I told my dad years ago that Blosom was destined for stardom and with this record she has achieved that."

Blosom will be included in the 2016 edition of the "Guinness Book of World Records."

Critical thinking challenge: If Blossom becomes the subject of a childrens book, what might the story be?

• mollyk-Eic
    10/21/2014 - 10:30 a.m.

Geese that's a huge cow! I would love to have the worlds tallest cow, that would be awesome! I would never think a cow could get that big.

• meaghanr-Eic
    10/21/2014 - 10:32 a.m.

I think it was very interesting and entertaining. That is awesome that you have the biggest cow in the world. I can't believe that picture is going in the 2016 Guinness Book of World Records.

• matthewh-Eic
    10/21/2014 - 10:39 a.m.

WOW,I cant believe that a cow weighs more a ton and is 6-foot-4!! I'll be looking forward to see blossom in the Guinness Book of World Records. I think it was a very interesting article.

• MattWo-Wil
    10/21/2014 - 10:52 a.m.

That is really amazing! I've never heard of a cow that was '6' feet '4' inches tall. That definitely is the largest cow in the world. I even noticed how big the women was compared to the cow, and she was short.

• JadaL-Cal
    10/21/2014 - 10:53 a.m.

That is a big cow. I would be scared if I was there to see that huge cow. I think it would be cool when I see it in the world record book.

• erinc-Eic
    10/21/2014 - 11:15 a.m.

What in the world?!?!?!? If someone threw a shirt, a pair of pants, and a mustache, I would've mistaken it as a person!!!! I would be very scared to just be standing around that cow because of how big it is. I thought that i was tall, but I think not now!

• sophiapl-Eic
    10/21/2014 - 11:17 a.m.

i had never seen that big of a cow! I don't know how a cow can be that big. I can't imagine a cow bigger then that.

• tyb-Eic
    10/21/2014 - 11:17 a.m.

Wow that is a very tall cow! I can't believe he is 6'4 that is amazing! I wish I could have a cow that tall.

• sophiapl-Eic
    10/21/2014 - 11:18 a.m.

• alliej-Eic
    10/21/2014 - 11:19 a.m.

That is really cool! I have never really liked cows but I guess they can be pretty cool, I mean worlds tallest cow that's awesome because usually people wouldn't care about those kind of things but getting one of those emails would be a huge surprise.