Wildfire creates a once-in-a-lifetime wedding photo Newlyweds Michael Wolber and April Hartley pose for a picture near Bend, Ore., as a wildfire burns in the background
Wildfire creates a once-in-a-lifetime wedding photo

A wildfire that disrupted a couple's wedding also gave them the photograph of a lifetime.

A fire truck rolled up at Rock Spring Ranch near Bend, Oregon with sirens blaring Saturday. The wedding party was told to evacuate, The Oregonian reported.

The minister conducted an abbreviated ceremony. Everyone cheered and began to evacuate to downtown Bend's Drake Park for the reception.

As guests headed for the cars, wedding photographer Josh Newton took some photos of the couple with the wildfire raging in the background.

Michael Wolber called it "the most beautiful ceremony either of us could have ever imagined." He and his wife, April Hartley, live in Aloha and both work at Nike Inc.

"It's terrible to be evacuated from your own wedding," said Lisa Clark, a fire information officer. "But it's a story for the rest of their lives and nothing that could be duplicated."

The wedding venue was on the edge of the fire. Deputies and fire trucks were driving through the area telling people to evacuate as a precaution.

Newton, the photographer, said he's heard from many people, including firefighters, about his photo.

"I've actually heard a lot from the wildfire community and they are totally amped on it!" he said.

Critical thinking challenge: Did the fire make or break the wedding, and why?

• mr06ferg
    6/12/2014 - 08:39 a.m.

I think the fire made the wedding. It gave the wedding juice that made it different from any other wedding. It probably was boring before the fire.

• Reggie101
    6/12/2014 - 08:40 a.m.

• sb28bookworm
    6/12/2014 - 08:43 a.m.

i think that is really cool to have such a photo but i would never want to have my wedding ruined by anything. So to answer the question the fire both made and broke their wedding.

• HanahW
    6/12/2014 - 09:50 a.m.

I think that this is awesome. I think that It made the wedding perfect. No one else can say they had that picture taken or even had to be evacuated from their own wedding. It's a story they can tell for the rest of their lives. I think it's pretty rad.

• Sierraf-3
    6/12/2014 - 10:44 a.m.

This article is about a wildfire that started during a wedding. The guests at the wedding were told to evacuate so the priest quickly finished and the guests started to evacuate. As the firemen started to arrive to newlyweds, Michael Wolber and April Hartley took some pictures with the wildfire in the background. Michael Wolber said," the most beautiful ceremony either of us could have ever imagined." Although they were upset they had to evacuate their own wedding, it was a memory that they would never forget. I thought this article was interesting because I would be scared and want to evacuate, not take pictures even though it can be a beautiful site.

• Brandon1231-YYCA
    6/12/2014 - 11:08 a.m.

I think that these people are right about having a wild fire background because that's a once in. Life time background without and editing. This topic is really cool because the people are still standing there while there is a wild fire. I would be really scared and I would run if that happened. I hope that nobody got burned because fire can burn things really fast. I think that these people are famous and it is really cool t have Nike company people marry in a wildfire. I hope that these people are safe and I hope that these people can make something really cool in that Nike company.

• LA24Swagg
    6/12/2014 - 12:57 p.m.

Wow that picture looks good like a front of a magazine. I feel that this could do some pretty good things for the person who put this together

• ar18cupcakes
    6/12/2014 - 12:58 p.m.

I feel like having a picture like this was probably not the best idea but is a once in a life time oppurtunity. I think thats a pretty cool experience to go through. It probably isn't something I would do myself but is cool to think about.

• MC11dinosaur
    6/12/2014 - 12:59 p.m.

I think that this photo is amazing and its a once in a life time oppertunity. I am really happy for this couple and their wedding.

• Leila14
    6/12/2014 - 02:34 p.m.

The fire sort of made the wedding. It was unique and spontaneous. Though they had to evacuate, it gave them some rather interesting memories. Also it allowed them to get some really cool photos.