Why do we sneeze? What causes you to sneeze? (Thinkstock)
Why do we sneeze?

You asked us, why do we sneeze?

Well, when something irritates our nose, a split-second autopilot reflex kicks in causing us to...achoo!

Anyways, it's basically our bodies' way of getting ride of schnoz invaders. The result is that air along with droplets of water and mucus get forcefully puffed out of our mouth and nose.

I'm talking up to 100 mile an hour kind of speed here.

That's quicker than most professional pitcher's fastball. And, hundreds of thousands of microbes might be hitching a ride on that snot train.

So sneezing, is basically is a great way to spread germs. For some people, wires in their brain get crossed. They end up sneezing at weird moments, like when they pluck their eyebrows or walk into the sun. But, no matter how bad the timing, if you start to sneeze, let her rip. Holding on to one has the potential to do some damage including rupturing your eardrums. And yes, it's possible to sneeze with your eyes open, but no, your eyeballs are not going to pop out.

It's a no too that the myth of sneezing stops your heart. Speaking of something not stopping, in 978 days Donna Griffiths holds the record for the longest run of continuous sneezing. You can only hope she bought stock in tissues.

What is an odd situation that might cause someone to sneeze?

• kaleal-2-bar
    3/31/2016 - 01:42 a.m.

Some odd situations that might cause someone to sneeze are, as the article states, "...when they pluck their eyebrows or walk into the sun." This article interested me because I read the title and wanted to know more.

• batiar-3-bar
    3/31/2016 - 09:56 a.m.

An odd situation that might cause someone to sneeze is,"when they pluck their eyebrows or walk into the sun." The reason for us sneezing is that when there is an irritation to the nose, our body has a quick reflex making us sneeze. When sneezing, the reflex is so fast that sneezes can be up to 100 miles. Our bodies sneeze fast to get rid of bacteria and anything that doesn't need to be there, therefore "the result is that air along with droplets of water and mucus get forcefully puffed out of our mouth and nose." I found this article very interesting because of what I learned. Such as if you hold a sneeze in it can harm the body, an example of this is rupturing your eardrums. Another thing I learned is that you are able to sneeze with yours eyes open and doing that will not affect your body. The most interesting of them all is that the longest continuous sneezing record, held by Donna Griffiths, is an unbelievable 978 days of sneezing.

• prabhavk-buh
    3/31/2016 - 10:56 a.m.

This article is about why do we sneeze. I think it is cool why we sneeze because a lot of people sneeze and we can tell them why they sneezed. A cool fact is that we can't sneeze with our eyes open.

• paytong-
    3/31/2016 - 11:09 a.m.

I heard onetime that if you suppress your sneeze it can pop your eardrums but I didn't know it was true. Hopefully it doesn't happen to me because that would hurt.

• nicolettem-2-bar
    3/31/2016 - 01:09 p.m.

An odd situation that may cause someone to sneeze is when they are "plucking their eyebrows or walking in the sun" or just when their nose get irritated. Sneezing our body's ways of getting rid of "schnoz invaders." My opinion on this subject is that I think its a good thing to sneeze because your body is getting rid of its germs but, people shouldn't sneeze on each other because its a very fast way to spread germs to other people.

• adamp-3-bar
    3/31/2016 - 02:23 p.m.

An odd situation that we might sneeze is if an ant crawls into our nose. We will sneeze because we sneeze whenever something unwanted enters out nose. I know this because in the third paragraph it says sneezing is "basically our bodies' way of getting ride of schnoz invaders." An ant is definitely a "schnoz invader." My opinion on this is it is great that our bodies have a way of getting rid of unwanted things in the nose. I now know why I sneeze.

• kylie-hym
    3/31/2016 - 02:55 p.m.

Some odd situations that might cause someone to sneeze is plucking eyebrows or standing right in front of the sun.You could sneeze from those things because you can sneeze anytime.

• baileyb-bru
    3/31/2016 - 03:19 p.m.

According to the article "Why do we sneeze?" some odd situations that might cause someone to sneeze are when they walk into the sun. Also when a person plucks there eyebrows or something in that nature.To reflect there are many odd situations that people sneeze.

• leaho-kut
    3/31/2016 - 04:02 p.m.

I think that it is really weird and interesting that you could sneeze at any moment. Sneezing at a 100 mph is really cool. Something else is cool is, when you sneeze your heart stops.

• aidano-1-bar
    3/31/2016 - 04:04 p.m.

People sneeze all the time in odd situations. Some examples can be "like when they pluck their eyebrows or walk into the sun. But, no matter how bad the timing, if you start to sneeze, let her rip. Holding on to one has the potential to do some damage including rupturing your eardrums. And yes, it's possible to sneeze with your eyes open, but no, your eyeballs are not going to pop out." I found this article funny because I can relate to some of the odd examples of people sneezing.