What's in a name? A free, round-the-world trip! Jordan Axani with his girlfriend, before they broke up (Instagram / Thinkstock)
What's in a name? A free, round-the-world trip!

A Toronto man who made headlines last month by offering a free round-the-world air ticket to a woman with the same name as his ex-girlfriend has found Ms. Right.

Jordan Axani, 28, and his then girlfriend, named Elizabeth Gallagher, booked heavily discounted round-the-world air tickets in May. But their relationship ended and he didn't want her ticket to go to waste. The ticket had a strict no-transfer policy. Because passport information was not required when booking, it can be used by any Canadian named Elizabeth Gallagher.

Axani posted his offer last month on the Reddit social media website. He received thousands of emails, including 18 from actual Elizabeth Gallaghers with Canadian passports.

He's chosen his travel mate, Elizabeth Quinn Gallagher. She is a 23-year-old student and part-time office administrator from Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia.

"It's strictly a platonic trip. It's going to be great," Axani said.

At first the new Elizabeth Gallagher thought a trip with a stranger whose ex-girlfriend's name is the same as hers was "crazy." But she hit it off with Axani after talking on the phone with him for hours.

"It definitely did seem a little bit creepy at the beginning but now that I talked to him it's less creepy and more awesome," she said.

She already has a boyfriend.

"This is totally sort of like as friends," she said. "I have a pretty serious boyfriend. We've been together for a while. We're planning on buying a house and we have a puppy. So yeah, I'm not really looking for anything at all."

She acknowledged her boyfriend isn't thrilled.

"He understands that I've always wanted to travel. So while he's not happy I'm taking off for nearly a month at Christmas with a random guy he's smiling through it," she said.

Axani works for an international real estate development and advisory firm. He said the tickets were purchased for a couple of thousand dollars. But their cash value today is around Canadian $5,000-$7,000 (US $4,400-$6,200).

The trip is scheduled to start in New York City and continue on to Milan, Prague, Paris, Bangkok and New Delhi before ending in Toronto on Jan. 12. Axani said that after the breakup, he deferred all other planning for the trip, such as making hotel reservations.

Since the story became public, Marriott International offered separate rooms for him and the new Elizabeth Gallagher during their trip.

Axani said the trip will be documented and shared online. He said that he was moved by some of the emails. One was especially moving. It came from an 8-year-old boy who said he was going blind and wanted to see the world before that happens.

Axani and his brother then created an organization. It's called A Ticket Forward and will help people who desire to see the world but lack the finances to do so.

Critical thinking challenge: Jordan had a problem. Other people helped him solve his problem. Now Jordan is helping others. Explain the connection.

• ChrisN0
    1/14/2015 - 11:27 a.m.

Traveling around the world, I wonder how that feels. It must be awesome because of all of the sight seeing there is for people to see out there like the Eiffel tower.But 4000 dollars to 6000 dollars is crazy so i'll pass.

• citlallis6503
    1/14/2015 - 11:27 a.m.

I think that that was really nice of him to do that for someone because instead of just wasting the 4,400-6,200 dollar ticket, he offered it to someone else and if i was the woman's boyfriend I would also be worried too because you don't know whats happening. But overall I thought it was really nice of him to offer the ticket to someone else

• barbarat302
    1/14/2015 - 11:33 a.m.

I must admit that is creepy that a strange man who she doesn't know at all asked her to travel with him especially that she has a boyfriend, it sounds like fun but I would not have accepted the offer to travel with a strange man especially when the people in this world are kind of coo coo in the head.

• Ariannar103
    1/14/2015 - 11:38 a.m.

That is so creepy to go around the world with someone you have never met before. Especially since she already had a boyfriend and she would not be able to be with him during the holidays. It seems kinda okay because in the hotel they are going to be getting separate rooms. It was nice of Jordan Axani to not let the ticket go to waste and let someone who really has always loved to travel go with him around the world. When Jordan had a problem a bunch of people wanted to go around the world so the ticket would not go to waste and he would have lost thousands of dollars. Therefore he decided to make a organization for people who would love to travel the world but have financial issues after a little 8 year old boy emailed Jordan and said he wanted to travel the world because he was going blind.

• zane0421
    1/14/2015 - 11:40 a.m.

I think this is a little wierd but if he just wanted to have company on his trip I don't think it's that wierd. But then again wanting someone with a specific name of your ex-girlfriend, that's wierd.

• arifv-Tho
    1/14/2015 - 11:55 a.m.

That is a cheap flight for going all the way around the world. I would do it for right price to if my dad would let me do it in the summer.

• Liligs55
    1/14/2015 - 11:58 a.m.

omg that i s why i don't like air plans they freak me out I'm scared to even get on one and also i have never gotten on one and i never will I'm sorry but i don't want do die

• Brandon119
    1/14/2015 - 12:10 p.m.

what I read was pretty instering it talk about taking a trip where u what to go to different conturie wit your family members or friends seems real fun.

• yonim425
    1/14/2015 - 12:11 p.m.

I think that the organization that Axani and his brother are trying to do is going to help the society. By letting children or adults seeing different places of the world and maybe one day they can come up with an idea similar to what they saw to bring it in to our community.

• KathyM122
    1/14/2015 - 12:19 p.m.

That is just crazy i'm telling you. Just crazy. I wouldn't do such a thing I wouldn't offer my ticket online . But then again it would be kind of fun to do something like this but maybe get to know the person before you take off on an airplane!