What would you do if you found a bag of money? (Thinkstock)
What would you do if you found a bag of money?

A Utah man got a surprise when he stopped to pull a large orange bag off the highway. He feared that it would become a traffic hazard.

The Deseret News newspaper reports the 75-pound bag tumbled out of a truck driving in front of Dan Kennedy on Interstate 80. When he looked inside, he found stacks of cash.

"I thought it was going to be light. I reached down to grab it and I couldn't move it," Kennedy said.

The sack was approximately 4 feet tall and 2 feet wide. It was filled with smaller bags packed with currency including $50 and $100 bills. Kennedy estimated each of the small bags contained $22,000.

It was unclear how much money the entire bag contained.

The three Utah Highway Patrol troopers were "stunned" at the bag of money, Kennedy said.

"Never in all my years have I heard of a bag of money bouncing out of the back of an armored truck," said trooper Brady Zaugg. "That's something that happens in the spy movies."

Kennedy said it never occurred to him to do anything other than turn in the money.

"He hadn't disturbed it at all. So he obviously did the right thing for the right reason," said Zaugg, who said Kennedy reported his find to the police immediately.

Brink's employees told police they drove over a bad bump on a highway off-ramp but didn't notice the back latch opening or the bag falling out.

Kennedy said he hasn't heard anything about a reward for his good deed, but he was still excited by the unusual discovery.

"I was just jazzed all day long," he said.

Critical thinking challenge: Why was the bag orange?

• jcalla012
    4/13/2015 - 03:02 p.m.

I think that is great that he was trying to return it to the owner most people would say they would return it but honestly i would because that isnt like finding a penny or a dollar thats alot and That person coulve needed that money for the money for his house i wouldve returned it honesty has its own reward

• katier-Orv
    4/13/2015 - 04:28 p.m.

if i found a bag full of money i would spend it all and buy really expensive things for my teachers and parents and my friends so they know that i can be nice sometimes even though i can be grouchy

• katier-Orv
    4/13/2015 - 04:30 p.m.

• MGallagher
    4/13/2015 - 06:10 p.m.

A large bag of money containing lots of small bags with about $22,000 in each one bounced out of a Brinks truck and onto a mans lawn. they tried to chase down the Brinks truck and after failing called the police and he was "jazzed all day long."

• CameronS-2
    4/13/2015 - 07:13 p.m.

This article is about an average person and if they would return money or keep it to themselves if they found it wandering around on the ground. Many people are greedy and would keep the money to themselves if they found it on the ground science proves. I believe that our country is becoming less civilized and less friendly to you others around them.

• AlexisSS-1
    4/13/2015 - 07:31 p.m.

I think that it was a good thing that he returned the bag of money. some people would've just taken it and used it for their own use (like their house, car, etc.). The bag full of money was found in Utah on a freeway. It dropped out of a armored truck and a man got out of his car to save it. he tried to find then truck but had no luck, so he pulled into his work's parking lot and called the police.

• JacquelynS-3
    4/13/2015 - 07:38 p.m.

Dan Kennedy stopped to pull a large orange bag off the highway because he feared it would be a traffic hazard, and what he found inside it was a huge surprise. The Desert News newspaper reports that the seventy five pound bag tumbled out of a truck driving in front of Dan Kennedy on Interstate 80. When Kennedy looked inside, he found stacks of cash. It was unclear how much money the entire bag contained. Kennedy tried but failed to chase down the Brink's armored truck that had lost the bag. He then drove the money to his work parking lot and called the police.

Dan Kennedy is a very selfless person. He decided to try and return the money to the owner instead of greedily keeping it for himself.

• Eric0221-YYCA
    4/13/2015 - 07:39 p.m.

I think that it is a good idea to return something that belongs to a employee, a manager, a firefighter, and many more that belongs to somebody, I'm glad that the Utah man saw the bag of cashes which fell out of the Brink's armored truck. Well if the Utah man did the wrong thing instead of giving to the Brink's employees but keeping the money, that would be dishonest to somebody else.

• MaxMicheletti
    4/13/2015 - 07:58 p.m.

This article is about a man in Utah that found a bag of cash off the side of the road. It fell off of a Brinks truck when it hit a large bump. The man tried to follow the Brinks truck, but failed. He then went to the police and told them about the money. They were extremely shocked. They ten gave the money back to the Brinks company. Wow! This is a really cool story! I don't know what I would have done in that situation!

• ameliat-Orv
    4/13/2015 - 08:59 p.m.

Wow, usually when I see something like a bag on the side of the road I just ignore it. But I'm glad that this man did the right thing and turned it in- I hope that he felt good about himself after that though.