What turned a lobster blue? A blue lobster caught by Jay LaPlante off Pine Point in Scarborough, Maine (- AP photo)
What turned a lobster blue?

A Maine lobsterman says he and his 14-year-old daughter caught a one-in-two-million crustacean: a blue lobster.

WCSH-TV reports Jay LaPlante of the Miss Meghan Lobster Catch company caught the creature in Scarborough on Saturday morning. LaPlante and daughter Meghan were hauling traps when she discovered the bright blue critter.

The story has a happy ending for the lobster. Meghan says she is naming it Skyler and will donate it to the Maine State Aquarium. The aquarium says it has three other blue lobsters and an orange one.

While typical lobsters are often a brown or greenish color, others can be bright red (uncooked), calico, multi-colored, orange and even albino, which is likely the rarest of all lobster shades.

"They're rare, but we still see them every summer," University of Maine Lobster Institute Executive Director Robert C. Bayer told Michael Kuhne of AccuWeather.com. "We see around three to four a year."

Bayer said there is still much unknown about the number of lobsters, but according to some estimates, only one out of two million lobsters is blue.

Critical thinking challenge: Why did Meghan decide to donate the lobster instead of cooking it, eating it or selling it?

• rileyla-Stu
    8/29/2014 - 08:50 a.m.

This is a interesting catch.cause that's lucky.1 IN 2 MILLION!if I caught it I would keep it safe and keep on getting more.
    I wonder how many there are

• juanm-Stu
    8/29/2014 - 11:36 a.m.

That is one weird lobster one in two million if I had it I would sell it that was one lucky catchit a blue lobster

• lesliaedo
    8/29/2014 - 03:28 p.m.

Summary: A Maine lobsterman and his daughter found a strange one-in-two-million creature: a blue lobster. The man who works in the Miss Meghan Lobster Catch company said that they caught the crustacean in Scarborough on Saturday morning, while he and his daughter were hauling traps and his daughter, Meghan, discovered the animal. The lobster, named Skyler by the girl, was donated to the Maine State Aquarium, which already has three blue lobsters and an orange one. While the common lobsters are brown or greenish colored, the less common ones may be red, calico, orange and albino, which are the most unusual ones. However, experts say that they found three to four albinos a year.

Comment: I'm glad to know that these beautiful species still exist. We all know that due to the water pollution many species have been disappearing through the years, but thanks God these is wonderful news! I hope this lobster and others from its type can be safe and alive for a lot of years.

• andreasepulveda
    8/31/2014 - 12:05 a.m.

A Maine lobsterman and his daughter found a blue lobster. This is a very rare type of lobster because usually they are brown or kind of green, that's why the discover is important. They are naming it Skyler and it will be donated to Maine State Aquarium, that already has other 3 blue lobsters and an orange one. Although blue lobsters aren't so common, people still can see them every summer.

This piece of new is very interesting because I didn't know about blue lobsters and that they actually exist is very cool. Nature always surprises us. The lobsterman and his daughter were very lucky about having found a lobster that is so unusual and that will be kept in the aquarium. Although I find this new very interesting and curious, I don't like the idea of keeping animals captive. I think they should be released on their habitat. People can take pictures to these rare animals when they find them, but there's no need to catch and keep them on exhibition.

• Eugene0808-YYCA
    9/02/2014 - 12:25 a.m.

I think this is amazing because it is rare for someone to catch a blue lobster. I wonder how lobsters change color in the wild. As it says in the article, one in two million lobsters are blue. That is a very low chance of finding a blue lobster. Also, it was right for Meghan to donate the lobster because a lobster of a different color, is rare to find.
    Answer:Meghan decided to donate the lobster because if she cooked it and ate it, she would have ate a lobster that is rare and if she sold it, then she would be giving the lobster to the hands of people who want to eat it.

• GhettoKromper2
    9/02/2014 - 09:53 a.m.

I think the blue lobsters are interesting, but the Maine Lobster Institute alone find 3-4 every year so they aren't really that uncommon. Meghan probably chose to give the lobster away because it is a cool and rare creature. People can also find orange, multi-colored, calico, or even albino lobsters which are too very rare.

• NatalieS-Wit
    9/02/2014 - 10:40 a.m.

I always known lobsters to be red but i never thought they actually be blue i think is amazing. i am glad they desided to donate it to a aquarium because it well be taken care of better there and lots of people can come and see it

• brookie2014
    9/02/2014 - 12:38 p.m.

I think that the story is pretty awesome about how the lobster turned blue. I also wonder why there aren't that much of these blue lobsters.

• chrisandra2015
    9/02/2014 - 12:42 p.m.

Meghan decide to donate the lobster because it was a one - in - two - million lobster that's why they didn't eat it .

• Tylerj2015
    9/02/2014 - 12:43 p.m.

I think that she donated the lobster because it was a rare phenomenon. That was most likely never seen before. And she wanted to share it with the rest of the world, who would be amazed by it. and I don't think a blue lobster is healthy to eat anyway.