Whats better than 2 baby pandas? 3 baby pandas! Newborn giant panda triplets are seen inside an incubator at the Chimelong Safari Park in Guangzhou, China (Reuters)
Whats better than 2 baby pandas? 3 baby pandas!

The birth of extremely rare panda triplets is another success for China's artificial breeding program.

The three cubs were born July 29 in the southern city of Guangzhou. Breeders delayed an announcement until they were sure all three would survive.

The mother, Ju Xiao, and the three as-yet-unnamed cubs are healthy, a Chinese news agency said. Photos showed the three sleeping and standing in their incubator. Their bodies are pink and mostly hairless. The father of Ju Xiao's triplets is a panda living at another zoo.

The triplets were born within four hours of each other and currently weigh between 8 ounces and 12 ounces.

The panda is China's unofficial national mascot. The country regularly announces the birth of pandas born at zoos and at the Wolong breeding center in the southwestern province of Sichuan. That is where most wild pandas are found.

There are about 1,600 giant pandas in the wild. They are critically endangered due to loss of habitat and low birth rates. More than 300 live in captivity, mostly in China's breeding programs.

Critical thinking challenge: Why are pandas Chinas unofficial mascot? What makes the panda a good choice to represent China?

• JoeKelly24
    8/15/2014 - 08:47 a.m.

Recently China had another success with it's artificial panda breeding program. This is great because there are about nineteen-hundred pandas left worldwide. Plus, the pandas born were triplets, thats amazingly rare. I cannot possibly see anything that is wrong with any other this. It also very interesting because three new pandas have been born.

• lesliaedo
    8/15/2014 - 12:26 p.m.

Summary: A strange situation took place on July 29th when three cute panda cubs were born in the city of Guangzhou, China. Breeders did not give the news until they were completely sure that the three cubs would survive. These Panda babies are almost hairless, weigh between 8 and 12 ounces, and were recently shown in photos standing in their incubator. Their mother, Ju Xiao, and they are completely healthy. It is said that there are about 1,600 pandas in the wild, and more than 300 live in China in a captivity situation.

Comment: On one hand I find it so cute to know such a good news. I refer to the birth of these beautiful panda cubs. On the other hand, it is really sad to think about the situation of pandas in China and worldwide. It cannot be possible that more than 300 of them live in captivity and most of the ones that live in the wild are endangered due to the planet's environmental crisis. It's a pity!

• Jason0421-YYCA
    8/15/2014 - 07:36 p.m.

I think that that this is amazing for a rare panda to be bred. I think that the pandas look really cute, but I think that they should be more furry because I think that without fur it looks a bit weird. I hope that the rare panda will live on, and they would be able to reproduce so that the new bred of pandas can live on for a long time. I also hope that the pandas that are bred are not going to be aggressive.
    Answer: I think that the pandas are not China's official mascots because they might get extinct. The panda is a good choice to represent China because pandas are very famous in China.

• RodrigoSuarez
    8/17/2014 - 01:19 p.m.

what a sweet article! The China's artificial breeding program is doing a very good job because not two, but three od these pandas have made it to our world. It gets even more remarcable when dealing with these endangered species, because they are particularly fragile and hard to keep alive. When it comes to representing China, the figure of the giant panda is perfect. It is representative, very particular to that country and also a quite peacefull animal, to represent a peacefull country.
    I do like pandas, but I am sure they do not have a prosperous future. The environment they need is getting harder and harder to be found, mainly because of the deforestation and rapid development of urban areas.

• RodrigoSuarez
    8/17/2014 - 01:20 p.m.

• 01Lyndsi-May
    8/19/2014 - 02:24 p.m.

Awe! Those baby pandas are soo cute! And thats good that more pandas are being born! People need to stop killing animals like that just for their skin or something else! But they are very cute indeed!

• 08Avery-May
    8/19/2014 - 02:24 p.m.

They are so adorable!!! I would absolutly love to see them in person. I wonder what thier names are going to be??? Who wouldnt love them. I have no negititvaty to share on this photo.

• 07Hanna-May
    8/19/2014 - 02:26 p.m.

They are so cute i wish i could have for a pet oh my gogh what a miricle that is. I hope that they will survive.i bet they are very cute and healthy. now i think baby panda cubs are my now favorite animal. I am mind blown they are so cute.

• 01Lyndsi-May
    8/19/2014 - 02:27 p.m.

That is so cool! And those baby pandas are sooo cute! People need to stop killing animals like that or else they will be exdict!

• 22Jenna-May
    8/19/2014 - 02:27 p.m.

That is so adoreable and cute.I want one now I wish i could see it in life.And i want one so bad and if i could i would probley name it if its a girl i would name it angie and if it was a boy i would name it spike,or twettie!So young baby pandas are so mind blowing they are so cute!