What makes Hellmanns real mayonnaise real? Hellmann's owner Unilever filed a lawsuit against a California company that uses the word "Mayo" in its sandwich spread name, at left (AP photos)
What makes Hellmanns real mayonnaise real?

You have to break some eggs to make an omelet. And according to a lawsuit from the maker of Hellmann's, the same goes for mayonnaise.

The food company Unilever is suing a California company that uses the word "Mayo" in its sandwich spread name. Unilever says that federal regulators and dictionaries define mayonnaise as a spread that contains eggs.

The suit claims false advertising by the company Hampton Creek for labeling its egg-free product "Just Mayo." Unilever says that the word mayo implies that the "Just Mayo" is mayonnaise.

Unilever holds the biggest share of the U.S. mayonnaise market. It is estimated to be worth $2 billion annually. That's more than twice the size of the ketchup market.

Hampton Creek told The Wall Street Journal that it doesn't mislead consumers. The company says it advertises the absence of eggs in "Just Mayo" as a benefit.

Hellmann's celebrated its 100th anniversary last year. Mayonnaise originated in France in the 1700s, when a chef seeking to make a creamy sauce combined oil and egg yolks.

Critical thinking challenge: Why does Unilever care what any company calls their sandwich spread?

• jeremyko-Sch
    11/14/2014 - 10:55 a.m.

seriously they made a story about helmands and mayo what is this world coming to not a single person cares about what happens to mayo as long as it still exists.

• SebastianH-1
    11/14/2014 - 11:14 a.m.

Unilever, the leading Mayo company, is suing another company for false advertising. Their product is called, "Just Mayo', and is egg-free. This article was badly written and I couldn't comprehend it well. I also find it weird to sue for that reason.

• JackD-3
    11/14/2014 - 12:05 p.m.

This article was about how a mayonnaise company is suing another mayonnaise company because mayonnaise has to have eggs in it. The mayonnaise company that is suing the other mayonnaise company is called Hellmann's. The other company is called Just Mayo and it does not have eggs in it. This is because Just Mayo thinks it is a benefit to not have eggs in their mayonnaise. Hellmann's decided to sue the Just Mayo company because the definition of mayonnaise is that it is a spread with eggs in it.

I think this article was interesting but I think that Hellmann's just wants to get money from the Just Mayo company so they can have more money.

• ma2000dragonball
    11/14/2014 - 12:58 p.m.

They care because what other people call their sandwiches is not their opinion because it is not their project so they don't have the right to judge it.

• WV2001TacoBelll
    11/14/2014 - 01:00 p.m.

they proboably want to make sure that not everyone just out of nowhere uses it and that only certain ones can use the idea a.

• ce2001sparkle
    11/14/2014 - 01:03 p.m.

Unilevel cares because they say that the word mayo implies that the "just Mayo' is mayonnaise. They are suing them for false advertising for labeling its egg free product 'Just Mayo'. When mayo includes eggs.

• wpapril30
    11/14/2014 - 01:08 p.m.

if you are calling your sandwich spread people might think that it just spread. now if I name a sandwich it would be called big load sandwich.

• ratiaira
    11/14/2014 - 01:28 p.m.

i guess this is interesting because its real mayonnaise rather than fake mayonnaise explains why my mother likes this brand and buys it all the time its really tasty

• f-pmatt
    11/14/2014 - 02:15 p.m.

This article is about how a lawsuit was put up against a mayonnaise company on how it says it doesn't have eggs when it does have eggs. To me I think it was a right thing to do because to me mayonnaise has eggs and mayo doesn't. But all because I think it is that way doesn't mean mayonnaise does have eggs. And I put mayo on my salad because I always thought it was meant to be put on salad. Also I put mayonnaise on my sub or sandwich. Then again I might just be putting it on a different type of food than I should be. Finally, I think it is not a right thing to do but they could call it a different thing.

• JustinSy-Wil
    11/14/2014 - 03:10 p.m.

Unilever cares what any company calls their sandwich spread because they have a different meaning. I think that it should be called mayonnaise because it you can say it with no problems. Also, Mayonnaise is the correct word and it stands for bread spread containing eggs.