What happens when you get a concussion? (Thinkstock)
What happens when you get a concussion?

Assign to Google Classroom

You asked us, "What happens when you get a concussion?"

Our brains are the consistency of Jell-O. Luckily they're encased in bone, wrapped in membranes and are floating in fluid. They're also one of the best-protected organs in our body. Until we get whacked on the head or violently tossed around.

Then those delicate brains can end up bumping and twisting around in our skulls.

And one result might be a concussion. It's a traumatic injury that at least temporarily alters the way our brains work.

That's because nerve cells can get stretched, affecting their ability to send and receive messages to and from the rest of the body.

And those protective membranes surrounding our brains? Well, they can tear. That allows toxic substances to leak into brain tissue, causing cell death.

Like any other bruised flesh, the brain might also swell during a concussion.

And without a whole lot of room to expand, it can end up pressing against the skull. That can cause even more damage.

Multiple concussions add up over time, leading to problems with memory loss, depression and even dementia.

So today's lesson? Be careful with your Jell-O brain.

Mmmm ... Brains! Brains!

Why does bruised flesh swell?

• kyled-2929778-
    9/30/2015 - 03:16 p.m.

Some times concussion can be bad when you hit it badly

• kaled-2-bar
    9/30/2015 - 04:02 p.m.

Bruised flesh swells because flesh is not strong and nothing supports it.

I thought this article was interesting because I've seen someone get a concussion and I was thinking what was happening inside the person's head.

• summerm-6-bar
    9/30/2015 - 05:56 p.m.

Bruised flesh swells because flesh is flimsy and not strong. Also, because nothing is there to support the flesh making it swell up.

• vincents-1-bar
    9/30/2015 - 06:30 p.m.

Bruised flesh swells because flesh is not strong enough and nothing supporting it.

I never knew that protective membranes surrounding our brains can tear. That allows toxic substances to leak into brain tissue, causing cell deaths. to my opinion I think that it's crazy that a liquid is holding our brains in our head.

• kevinb-1-bar
    9/30/2015 - 06:45 p.m.

Bruised flesh swells because it is not very strong and its flimsy like jello so when you get a cuncusion your brain gets bounced around the skull.

I thought this poem was very interesting because of all of the great details to easily inform you about your brain

• simonak-3-bar
    9/30/2015 - 07:10 p.m.

I picked this article because I have had a concussion before and I didn't quite know the effects of what happens. Bruised flesh swells because it has a consistency of jello, and therefor is not strong enough to support itself.

• Jason0421-YYCA
    9/30/2015 - 08:34 p.m.

I think that it is good to know how our brains can get a concussion from doing sports and dangerous things. I think that if people were to protect their brain more, there wouldn't be a need for the word concussion, but there are many people who injure themselves. I think that people should take care of there brain because they could forget important things.

• annabel1226-yyca
    9/30/2015 - 08:45 p.m.

We should be careful with our brains, but sometimes I always bump into something and sometimes while I am playing boys always hits me with a ball while we were playing. I think I should where cushions in my head to protect my brain, then I my brain won't be damage that much.

• John0724-YYCA
    9/30/2015 - 08:49 p.m.

I never knew that it can do that because I thought that concussion was the thing where when you get a brain injury it is not that important but now as I read it it is important.

• caymanm-2-bar
    9/30/2015 - 09:07 p.m.

Bruised flesh swells up because it is very soft and doesn't have a thick layer to protect it. If the brain swells up after a concussion, it can hit the skull and cause more damage. I thought this article was very informative about concussions and what happens when you get a concussion.