What does an engineer look like? This image shows a recruitment ad for the tech startup company featuring engineer Isis Anchalee. As of Aug. 6, 2015, more than 75,000 people used the hashtag #ILookLikeAnEngineer to post photos of themselves and promote gender diversity in technology, according to analytics firm Topsy. (AP Photo/onelogin.com)
What does an engineer look like?

Thousands of female engineers, coders and self-described science nerds have joined a Twitter campaign. Other tech superstars have also joined. They want to break down stereotypes. Their issue is about what engineers should look like.

As of Aug. 6, more than 75,000 people used the hashtag #ILookLikeAnEngineer. It was used to post photos of themselves and promote gender diversity in technology. This is according to analytics firm Topsy. The campaign started with Isis Anchalee, an engineer at tech startup OneLogin. She got an avalanche of attention. It came after her photo appeared in a recruitment ad for her company.

The ad features Anchalee. She has long, wavy hair and glasses. She is seen smiling in a black T-shirt with her company logo. Many people could not believe that an attractive woman could also be an engineer at a tech company. Some thought that the company had hired a model for its recruiting efforts.

"I didn't want or ask for any of this attention. But if I can use this to put a spotlight on gender issues in tech I consider that to be at least one win." She wrote this in an essay on Medium. She suggested people use #ILookLikeAnEngineer to post photos of themselves and redefine ideas of what engineers should look like.

From the look of the photos, it's working. And it's not only women. Other traditionally underrepresented groups in tech, such as African-American men, have joined in too. The campaign is growing bigger each minute.

Why is it important to separate how a person looks and what a person does?

• Jason0421-YYCA
    8/25/2015 - 08:50 p.m.

I think that it is amazing for Anchalee to have tweeted a post about how she is an engineer. I think that it is cool for women to do engineering since engineering is really interesting. I think that science should be spread around the world. I also think that it is amazing for someone who looks like a model to do engineering.

• Eric0221-YYCA
    8/26/2015 - 12:10 a.m.

I think that it may be cool for female engineers to be like an engineer because girls should learn like boys because if girls don't be like boys, then the girls might not become an engineer like the other boys. I think that girls should be like engineers even though that other people are bothering her or interrupt the girls but I think that girls should be like other boys that are successful of becoming an engineer in their life time.

• josephd-nav
    9/22/2015 - 09:13 a.m.

#sweet

• brodyholy-
    10/28/2015 - 02:50 p.m.

Who knew there could be so many female engineers in the Twitter campaign. this article helps other people become engineers and is growing by the minute. These engineers are working together to overcome stereotypes such as that females can't be engineers.

• isaacdoly-
    10/28/2015 - 02:55 p.m.

it is different because u should never judge a book by its cover and if u see some one doing the right thing and they look ugly who cares about there looks I could be the wierdes person ever. My youth paster he said that most people r put in to boxs of the world.

• davidb.-her
    11/02/2015 - 09:20 a.m.

Seems pretty cool.

• ben0424-yyca-byo
    4/20/2016 - 10:16 p.m.

It is important to be equal. It is now uneven for the technology world. This is something that should be fixed, and this is what Isis is doing. She is trying to help people stop discrimination. This is making another helpful step in the world. There we could achieve complete equality in the technology world. This is very important, but I don't understand why they are discriminating people in the technological world.
    Critical Thinking Question Answer: Someone's looks probably don't affect what they do. This is stereotypical. People shouldn't judge people by their looks and what they do.

• sean1116-byo
    8/04/2016 - 03:01 p.m.

I have always thought engineers were people who wore hard hats at construction sites. When you think about it, there are many jobs where it includes engineering. I think that it is important to separate how a person and what a person does for many reasons. One reason is that you can't tell what a person does just by looking at them. Well maybe sometimes but most of the time you can't.