What do soldiers around the world eat? A pile of Meals Ready to Eat (MREs) lies on the floor at a compound. (Thinkstock)
What do soldiers around the world eat?

No matter who they're fighting for, soldiers around the world have something very basic in common. They need to eat.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, field rations, known among U.S. soldiers as "Meals, Ready to Eat," or "MREs," have a pretty bad reputation among the troops. They have to rely on the freeze-dried, vacuum-sealed meals while out on patrol or on the battlefield. No one expects field rations to provide a five-star dining experience. But many militaries do what they can to give their soldiers a decent meal. That can include serving traditional fare or measuring how eating MREs can affect their troops' health.

For American soldiers, Army-issued MREs come packed with everything soldiers need for a solid 1,200-calorie meal. They include several courses, beverages, flameless heating elements and utensils. But the Army isn't only concerned about fueling its soldiers. It wants them to enjoy their meal.

"What is nutrition if you don't consume the food?" Army research dietitian Holly McClung says. "We need ways to keep warfighters interested in and excited about eating in the field after they have been training and eating MREs for several days."

The U.S. Army put out a call for volunteers. The Army wanted to find out who was willing to survive solely off of MREs. The volunteers would eat MREs for almost a month. It is an attempt to see how the field rations might affect the delicate ecosystem of gut bacteria in the digestive system.

MREs have to meet a laundry list of requirements. They include being able to survive a 1,250-foot parachute drop. The MREs must also stay edible for up to 3 1/2 years in temperatures of up to 80 degrees. It stands to reason that officers would want to know how these specific modifications might affect their troops health. This is according to reporter Emanuella Grinberg for CNN.

"Interactions between the millions of bacteria living in our gut and what we eat is a very important factor in gut health. But we don't know how MRE foods interact with those bacteria to impact gut health," McClung says in a statement. "Ultimately, discovering how eating MREs influences gut bacteria and gut health will help our efforts to continually improve the MRE."

Studying how eating MREs affect soldiers' microbiomes is one way that U.S. Army officials are trying to keep their troops healthy. The Army also does what it can to make sure that soldiers aren't eating the same meals over and over again. MREs cover a wide range of food. The MREs include spaghetti Bolognese and caffeine-infused beef jerky, David Whelan reports for Munchies. Army researchers even unveiled what some call the "holy grail of MRE’s." Pizza.

Most countries try to offer their soldiers something that resembles their homeland's cuisine. South Korean soldiers get treated to bibimbap and kimchi. French fighters are offered deer pâté and duck confit. The range of food varies greatly. Colombian soldiers mostly live off of rice and beans. The Italian Army issues its fighters a 40-percent alcohol "breakfast shot," Whelan writes.

"When you're in the deployed environment, it tends to be fear and the monotonous. So the only thing you have to look forward to is the chow," Army Materiel Command director Bill Bigelow tells C.J. Lin for Stars and Stripes. "And if it's monotonous chow, that just adds to your misery."

Why don't soldiers everywhere eat the same thing?

• tialden-1-bar
    5/10/2016 - 07:08 p.m.

Soliders everywhere don't eat the same thing because as stated in the article they eat foods that resemble their homeland cuisine. Such as in the United States soldiers eat MRE, which are basically packaged air sealed foods. People are trying to improve MRE so that these foods would be delicious too rather than just for nessecity. I found this article interesting because improving MRE would improve the food in my earthquake kit.

• william1108-yyca
    5/10/2016 - 07:14 p.m.

Looking at the image in the article it looks like the meals aren't that great. The food looks a little bad and doesn't look healthy at all. Vegatables are better. I like brocoli and salad. I like them a lot and can't stand them. But also the image of the article looks like seaweed. If it is then it is fine. Maybe one day I will find out more about what soldiers eat.

• anthonyg1-ver
    5/10/2016 - 07:16 p.m.

I have always wanted to try MREs. One I had space ice cream which is almost the same thing, it is vacuumed frozen...

• anthonyg1-ver
    5/10/2016 - 07:17 p.m.

I really hope that the MREs don't hurt the soldiers' digestive system because they have done so much for us to deserve that.

• ben0424-yyca-byo
    5/10/2016 - 07:18 p.m.

Of course everyone has to eat. It was interesting to know what some soldiers eat. The Korean foods were kind of obvious, because I'm Korean myself. But there were also some other foods I couldn't identify. The French foods were things that I have never heard of. It is important to know that the food we serve our soldiers will be enough to appetize them.
    Critical Thinking Question Answer: Soldiers everywhere have different common foods. Koreans, Italians, Spanish, American. They all have different common foods.

• sean1116-byo
    5/10/2016 - 09:00 p.m.

This was an interesting article to read about. I haven't really known what soldiers eat and I am surprised to find out what they eat. I have heard of MREs before but wasn't really sure what they were. I thought they mean't something about war. It was interesting to find out what MREs mostly contained and find out that soldiers eat it most of their lives. It would be interesting to see more articles just like this one.

• magdalenen-
    5/11/2016 - 10:43 a.m.

It is because it is not good for you.They try to keep their soldier healthy by eating different foods everyday.If you eat the same thing over and over it might be able to cause cancer.

• connerw-kut
    5/11/2016 - 05:05 p.m.

All people need food to live. If I where in the army I would eat anything I could get my hands on. Even if it was gross. Not all soldiers eat the same kind of food because they work in different parts of the world.

• virginiam-2-bar
    5/11/2016 - 05:26 p.m.

Not all soldiers eat the same thing around the world because the food they eat is meant to be enjoyable. Therefore, many soldiers' meals are foods that are commonly found in their hometown. I found this in the article when it stated, "Most countries try to offer their soldiers something that resembles their homeland's cuisine" (paragraph 9).
    I think it is very nice that soldiers get to eat what is good for them. If I were a soldier, I would not enjoy my job if I had to eat something gross.

• summerc-1-bar
    5/11/2016 - 06:09 p.m.

Soldiers everywhere don't eat the same things because, as paragraph 9 states, "Most countries try to offer their soldiers something that resembles their homeland's cuisine."
    I find this to be interesting because I always thought that soldiers around the world ate something close to the same thing.