Unexpected visitor: Woman finds bear in her apartment (Thinkstock)
Unexpected visitor: Woman finds bear in her apartment

A North Carolina woman says she entered her daughter's apartment and found a bear. The wild animal had entered by opening an unlocked door. Then it roamed through the home.

Asheville Fire Department spokeswoman Kelley Klope told news outlets the mother called emergency services after spotting the bear. It was eating some pet food.

North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission biologist Mike Carraway says the bear smelled dog food right inside the door. It was able to get in through the door by pulling down on the unlocked handle.

Klope says crews arrived and hit on the ceiling to scare the bear. The animal then left unharmed.

Klope says all that was left in the wake of the bear's visit was a broken flowerpot and blind.

Carraway says similar break-ins are rare. This was the first one this year in the Asheville area.

What lured the bear into the apartment?

• taylore-1-bar
    10/20/2015 - 08:35 p.m.

Animal food lured the bear into an unlocked apartment. Mike Carraway said the bear had smelled dog food from just outside. I thought this article was interesting because I have never heard of a bear breaking in to someone's house before. This article surprised me because I didn't know that bears were able to open doors. It also surprised be because the bear only left a few things damaged like a blind, and a pot.

• Eugene0808-YYCA
    10/20/2015 - 08:55 p.m.

I think this is funny and scary because there is no reason for a bear to break into a house and scary because it is unexpected. The bear was pretty smart because it opened the door, and the only thing that it broke was a vase. I wonder how the bear found its way to the dog food.
    What lured the bear into the apartment?
    Answer: The smell of dog food lured the bear into the apartment.

• kevinb-1-bar
    10/20/2015 - 09:13 p.m.

The smell of the dog food lured in the bear and also the door was unlocked so it was easy for the bear to come in, I thought this was a very funny story, and I liked it!!!

• ryan0420-yyca
    10/20/2015 - 09:46 p.m.

That is crazy and scary I can't believe that a bear was found in a house. First of all it is crazy that the bear even got into the house. I never knew that a bear was smart enough to open a door. Also I can't believe the bear didn't spot the woman. Also it was a great idea to hit the roof because the bear didn't get hurt.

• reidi-4-bar
    10/20/2015 - 11:32 p.m.

A women in North Carolina opened her daughter's apartment and found a bear inside of the apartment. Crews arrived and hit on the ceiling to scare the bear away unharmed. I think that if i came home to find a bear in my apartment that I would be very scared.

• william1108-yyca
    10/20/2015 - 11:34 p.m.

WOW I can't believe that they found a bear. I have never seen a real bear in my whole life But I think it would sort of be scary because a bear comes into your house. And I think that bears look scary. SO maybe next time i will go find a bear and see for my self if it is actually scary or not.

• chandlerd-nar
    10/21/2015 - 08:50 a.m.

that sounds crazy I couldn't imagine if I walked in my house and saw a bear, I would freak out.

• dwyer,emily-cas
    10/21/2015 - 11:57 a.m.

1. The bear was lured into the apartment by the smell of dog food on the other side of the door.
    2. I thought this article was very interesting. It was crazy how the bear unlocked the door by itself. I never would have believed that the bear would leave everything unharmed.

• bolock,matthew-cas
    10/21/2015 - 12:01 p.m.

1. The bear was lured into the apartment by the smell of dog food.
    2. I thought the article was interesting. Bears can be very dangerous so I find it crazy that she found it in her apartment.

• haynesworth,kurtis-cas
    10/21/2015 - 12:02 p.m.

1. The smell of dog food lured the bear into the apartment.
    2. I don't understand why her door wasn't locked and I would of called animal control to get the bear out of my apartment.