Two words: Baby hippo A mother hippo, named Mara, and her new-born calf at the Los Angeles Zoo (AP Photos /Los Angeles Zoo)
Two words: Baby hippo

The Los Angeles Zoo has received a real treat for Halloween. Their first baby hippopotamus in 26 years was born.

The zoo says the baby was born Friday, Oct. 31. It was somewhat of a surprise, but staffers had noticed the mother hippo gained weight, which made them suspect she was pregnant.

Vets haven't determined the gender of the new hippo but they say the baby appears to be doing well and is bonding with mom.

The mother, 10-year-old Mara, came to the zoo in December from Topeka, Kansas. The father is 3-year-old named Adhama, who arrived from the San Diego Zoo last year.

Critical thinking challenge: Why was the birth considered a treat?

• Chloe W.
    11/10/2014 - 08:31 a.m.

there was a new baby hippopotamus born Oct.31 on Halloween. the dad was three years old and the mom was ten years old! they called it a treat because her was born Halloween.wonder what its name is gonna be?

• kevik-4
    11/10/2014 - 11:37 a.m.

This article is about a baby hippo that was brought into the Los Angles zoo. Surprising this hyppo was brought on Halloween so the call it a Halloween treat. This was said that this was the first baby hippo in 26 years. The baby was born on friday oct.31. I think this is would be pretty cool to go see this hyppo. I would be happy to go see this.

• LundyG-3
    11/10/2014 - 07:22 p.m.

A baby hippopotamus was born at the Los Angeles Zoo on Halloween. It was the first new hippo born in twenty-six years. The mother had recently gained weight, so they staff were suspicious. The mother has been brought from a zoo in Topeka and the father from San Diego. Mara and Adhama are the new parents of the baby. I love animals so I want to see this baby hippo. It looks so cute in the picture and probably even cuter in real life.

• patriciass
    11/10/2014 - 08:50 p.m.

The baby hippo is consider a treat because the hippo was born on October the 31th therefore , is a Halloween baby. This are wonderful news that after 26 years a hippo was born.The animals are beautiful and they are always giving good news that make our day happier.

• John0724-YYCA
    11/10/2014 - 08:52 p.m.

That is a surprise that they get a baby hippo in the first 26 year and I think that is too much and I got to say that there parents are young. I think that right now the zoo keepers are right now so happy that there head is about to explode. I think that the zoo keepers are keeping the baby hippo safe right now.

• Eugene0808-YYCA
    11/10/2014 - 09:29 p.m.

I think this is amazing because the Los Angeles Zoo had their first baby hippopotamus for the first time in forever. I wonder what happened to the hippopotamus for them to not give birth to babies for 26 years. But, the age gap between Mara and Adhama is surprising because some people might think Adhama is too young to mate. I even thought that, too. I think that is natural because males compete with others so they can have the right to mate with the females.
    Critical Thinking Challenge: Why was the birth considered a "treat"?
    Answer: The birth was considered a treat because the Los Angeles Zoo did not have a hippopotamus birth in 26 years so it is a treat for them.

• Jason0421-YYCA
    11/10/2014 - 09:29 p.m.

I think that it is amazing for a hippopotamus to be born on October 31 and also be born as their first baby hippopotamus in 26 years. I think that this hippopotamus is special because I don't think that not a single hippopotamus we know was born on October 31, the day of trick or treating. I hope that this hippopotamus is going to live a long life with his/he mother and father.
    Critical thinking challenge: Why was the birth considered a treat?
    Answer: The birth was considered a treat because this baby was born on October 31 (trick or treat), and it was the first baby in 26 years.

• Daniya6-Jar
    11/11/2014 - 10:37 a.m.

That bay is so ADORABLE!But i'm suprise of the mother and father age 0.0.But i can't change that.After all they had a baby;].They said there were no baby hippopotamus born in 26 years. ._. so yea.

• Mayast-Fre
    11/11/2014 - 12:14 p.m.

This article is about a baby hippo that was brought into the Los Angles zoo. Surprising this hyppo was brought on Halloween so the call it a Halloween treat. This was said that this was the first baby hippo in 26 years. The baby was born on Friday oct.31. I think this is would be pretty cool to go see this hyppo. I would be happy to go see this.

• 01Lyndsi-May
    11/11/2014 - 02:11 p.m.

Awe! That baby hippo is so cute! Well so is the mother in the picture but I know hippos are pretty dangerous because of their very sharp teeth. Hopefully that baby hippo has a good life and enjoys it! WELCOME TO THE WORLD HALLOWEEN HIPPO!!!!!! :)