Tour a big city one pizza at a time! Chicago deep-dish style pizza (AP photo / Thinkstock)
Tour a big city one pizza at a time!

Chicago is famous for its deep-dish pizza. But tourists wouldn't know that the locals more often eat a thinner-crust, tavern-style pie topped with homemade Italian sausage and cut into squares, not slices. Not unless they went on a pizza tour.

Chicago is one of a handful of cities, like Boston, Milwaukee and New York, with companies that offer tours of the pizza scene. Chicago Pizza Tours owner Jonathan Porter takes his customers on a bus ride. It includes four stops over 3 1/2 hours to sample deep-dish, the tavern-style popular in neighborhoods and other pizza variations.

"It's just a different way to see the city," Porter said. "Eat your way through the city. It was always designed to get people off the beaten path."

Bonnie Burchett, 64, of Winston-Salem, North Carolina, was on a recent visit with her husband when they took the tour.

"I like that sausage," she said after taking a bite at Pizano's. It's a downtown pizzeria with a buttery crusted deep-dish pizza and tavern-style that was the first stop on the tour.

Elizabeth Goodwin, 33, of Columbus, Ohio, was with her husband too. They were able to try Pizano's, thin crust at Coalfire west of downtown, tavern-style with sauerkraut at Flo and Santos on the city's South Side, and Pequod's deep-dish on the North Side.

"I've always wanted to try Chicago deep-dish pizza. It's famous," Goodwin said. The couple took the tour, she said, because "otherwise we wouldn't know where to go."

The tour guide offers fun statistics as the bus travels from pizzeria to pizzeria. There are 2,200 pizza restaurants in Chicago. Thin crust outsells deep-dish even though deep-dish was invented in Chicago in the 1940s.

Critical thinking challenge: Why is the tour conducted on a bus?

• emilyr-Weh
    9/19/2014 - 09:58 a.m.

I think the tour is conducted on a bus because they want the tourists to have a " field trip" around Chicago to taste the pizza.
    The text states that Jonathan Porter said " it's just a different way to see the city." The author states that tourists wouldn't know that thin crust, tavern-style pie topped with Italian sausage cut in to squares is more often eaten if they don't have a tour. That is why I believe the tour is conducted on a bus so tourists can take a " field trip" around Chicago to taste the pizza.

• AugustH-5
    9/19/2014 - 09:58 a.m.

Chicago is famous for there deep dish pizza. There are tours that take you from pizzera to pizzera to try all the best pizzas in the world. My favorite food is pizza and nothing would be better than going on a tour and trying pizza. I espically like deep dish pizza and the photo at the top of this article made my jaw drop and my mouth water.

• jackt-Weh
    9/19/2014 - 10:04 a.m.

Why is the tour conducted on a bus? I think it is because it is easier and safer to ride on a bus than to walk around the city on foot. Because if you don't take a bus ride than you will have to walk for 3hours! Jonathan porter said, " It's just another way to see the city. That is my opinion this article .

• TR2001golden
    9/19/2014 - 01:00 p.m.

Over the summer I went to Chicago for my Grandma's birthday and we had pizza, instead of cake. I didn't really like it. It was soggy, too cheesy, and way too much salt. I guess it was the place that we bought from, but maybe other pizza restaurant are better than the one I had that summer.

• tcastleberry
    9/19/2014 - 01:02 p.m.

I had no clue about Chicago loving thin crust pizza. I like this topic because I love pizza. I don't like this one because the title doesn't fit the information. It is interesting how the pizza has many different crusts. If i could go to Chicago I would eat this pizza up.

• km1999bieber
    9/19/2014 - 01:04 p.m.

I think the tour is conducted on a bus so that the passengers can try Chicago's deep dish pizza while exploring the city , and visiting other pizza restaurants in Chicago. Also because its easier to eat the pizza on the go and have more time to go to more pizza places and try their different types of deep dish pizza.

• Cs2001Tardis
    9/19/2014 - 01:10 p.m.

The tour is conducted on a bus because it is an easier way to go to get from pizzeria to pizzeria. It also is a great way to view the city of Chicago. I like the idea of a pizza tour. It is different then other tours.

• 8PATELTEJASH-Flo
    9/19/2014 - 01:42 p.m.

THE TOUR IS CONDUCTED ON A BUS BECAUSE THEY SAY THAT IT IS ANOTHER WAY OF TOURING THE CITY IN STEAD OF WALKING IN THE CITY YOU CAN TOUR THE BUS AND EAT TAVERN STYLE PIZZA. I THINK THIS IS A GREAT IDEA BECAUSE YOU AND DO TWO THINGS SIMULTANEOUSLY, YOU CAN EAT THE CHICAGO MADE PIZZA AND TAKE A TOUR OF CHICAGO.

• 8NANDISURUPI-Flo
    9/19/2014 - 02:00 p.m.

I think that the people who took the tour were very happy because they can taste different types of pizza as there were 2,200 pizza restaurants in Chicago. After reading this I really think that I should also take this tour

• 8ASGHARRANAI-Flo
    9/19/2014 - 02:26 p.m.

The tour is conducted on the bus because with the bus you can travel faster and safer. The bus allows tourists to try out more deep-dish pizzas.