Teens and adults say they feel tethered to phones A group of teenagers play "Pokemon Go" in downtown Hartselle, Ala. (Crystal VanderWeit/The Decatur Daily via AP/AP Photo/Kiichiro Sato, File)
Teens and adults say they feel tethered to phones

Assign to Google Classroom

Parents lament their teenagers' noses always in their phones. But they might want to take stock of their own screen time habits.

A study came out last week from the Pew Research Center. It found that two-thirds of parents are concerned about the amount of time their teenage children spend in front of screens. But more than a third of parents expressed concern about their own screen time.

Meanwhile, more than half of teens had an observation. They said they often or sometimes find their parents or caregivers to be distracted when the teens are trying to have a conversation with them. The study calls teens' relationship with their phones at times "hyperconnected." It notes that nearly three-fourths check messages or notifications as soon as they wake up. Parents do the same. But parents do it at a lower rate — 57 percent. This is still substantial.

Big tech companies face a growing backlash. There are complaints against the addictive nature of their gadgets and apps. People complain about the endless notifications and other features. They say they are created to keep people tethered to their screens.

Many teens are trying to do something about it. Fifty-two percent said they have cut back on the time they spend on their phones and 57 percent did the same with social media.

Experts say parents have a big role in their kids' screen habits and setting a good example is a big part of it.

"Kids don't always do what we say but they do as we do," said Donald Shifrin. He is a professor of pediatrics. He teaches at the University of Washington School of Medicine. He was not involved in the Pew study. "Parents are the door that kids will walk through on their way to the world."

The study surveyed 743 U.S. teens and 1,058 U.S. parents of teens. It was conducted from March 7 to April 10. The margin of error is 4.5 percentage points.

Do you think people are too tethered to their phones? Why or why not?

• Ryanh-eic
    8/31/2018 - 12:05 p.m.

i think that is false phones are great sense you can play forinite on it

• Beno-eic
    8/31/2018 - 12:06 p.m.

I didn't know that phones could be so addictive.

• Leytons-eic
    8/31/2018 - 12:06 p.m.

i didn't know phones were addicting to the world that much

• Tracenf-eic
    8/31/2018 - 12:10 p.m.

i dont really think so

• Renaej-eic
    8/31/2018 - 12:11 p.m.

people are tethered because of games and Social Media. Most of the world have smart phones.

• Lilas-eic
    8/31/2018 - 12:12 p.m.

I think people are teathered to their phones! people need to just shut them down for a day or two!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Marthah-eic
    8/31/2018 - 12:15 p.m.

i think people these days are for sure tethered to there phones, I myself have tried to cut down on screen time. I used to be on it ALL day. With school and reading I don't get lots of time on my phone or ipad, so that makes me happy. With social media it makes it hard to leave your phone, you wanna chat with your friends and post stuff but the reality is you can chat with your friends and hang out in the real world, not just on a phone.

• Alexr-eic
    8/31/2018 - 12:17 p.m.

I think this is true that teens and kids spend a lot of time watching or playing their phones or what other device they have and I am kinda glad that some parents are concerned because sometimes kids and teens spend a lot of time watching their devices

• Sophiab-eic
    8/31/2018 - 02:22 p.m.

I do think that people are too tethered to their phones but I don't believe it's a problem. Sure we don't NEED to have a phone, and we don't NEED social media, but how else can we stay in touch with the world. Our phones contact others so we can text to make sure they are okay. We also need our phones to check the weather. We wouldn't know what to wear otherwise.

• Ellem-eic
    8/31/2018 - 02:22 p.m.

I think that it is a really good idea to post something like this so that way we are getting more information about this issue. I will try to spend less time on my phone.