Teacup-sized penguin chicks going to fish school California Academy of Sciences veterinarians examine one of two African penguin chicks in San Francisco (AP photos)
Teacup-sized penguin chicks going to fish school

Two African penguin chicks have recently hatched at the California Academy of Sciences. The academy is located in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park.

The gray, fluffy chicks hatched just days apart on November 1 and November 4. They are nesting with their parents, a spokesperson for the academy said.

The chicks are each the size of a tea cup. They will go through "fish school" to become proficient swimmers. They need to get comfortable with eating hand-fed fish. Once they are ready, they will join the penguin colony on exhibit in late January.

The academy's two chicks are the second and third to be hatched as part of its Species Survival Plan program. In January 2013, the academy hatched its first chick since moving into its new Golden Gate Park facility in 2008.

African penguins were classified as an endangered species in 2010. They are at very high risk of extinction in the wild.

"We hope to inspire people around the world to join us by supporting conservation efforts locally and internationally," said Bart Shepherd. He is director of the Academy's Steinhart Aquarium.

Critical thinking challenge: Why are these chicks part of the Academys Species Survival Plan program?

• 14Q2volleyball18
    11/20/2014 - 01:46 p.m.

There are two African penguins chicks that have hatched at the California Academy Science. The chicks are the size of a tea cup. They are going to fish school to be professional swimmers. In the wild the African penguins are highly at risk.

• 14Q2worldoftanks
    11/20/2014 - 01:56 p.m.

This is great it's great that there trying to stop them from being endanger species it is so nice that there doing this for them I like penguins but fluffy penguins

• nancyM-Cla
    11/20/2014 - 02:06 p.m.

I enjoyed reading this article about the teacup sized penguins because it was really cute and simple . Also I had read this story because it caught my eye with the cute penguin and the title itself . There was no question to follow with this article but , if I would have to ask a question it would be : why do they call it " Fish school " ? And I would ask if they had named the teacup sized penguins yet ?

• mastitay
    11/20/2014 - 02:07 p.m.

I didn't know that penguins lived anywhere warm. I think the babies chick are cool looking and really
    fluffy. I also didn't know that penguins were endangered.

• JaydonJCamo
    11/20/2014 - 02:30 p.m.

I love penguins! last time I saw one I was at the zoo and they were gliding on their bellies to get to their freshly stocked food area. I hope the levels of penguins even out.

• BranagenBBlue
    11/20/2014 - 02:32 p.m.

Penguins are majestic in a lot of ways. I didn't know about the african penguin until last year and what I have heard about the African penguin is pretty interesting.

• GabiD1
    11/20/2014 - 06:46 p.m.

Two chick penguins hatched in San Francisco two days apart. They are only the size of a tea cup. they will soon be enrolled in " fish school" to become better swimmers. I think they are so cute and I wish I could keep one.

• DylanT-5
    11/20/2014 - 07:28 p.m.

Two baby African penguins hatches at the California Academy of Sciences. The academy is at Golden Gate park, in San Francisco. One chick hatched on November 1, and the other hatched on November 4. Both of them are nesting with their parents. They were hatched as a program to help preserve the species. African penguins have been considered endangered since 2010. The university hopes to inspire others to join their program.

I think it is very nice that people try to protect endangered species. Especially when they also help them reproduce, and give them a shelter. Penguins are very cool birds.

• SofiaB-2
    11/20/2014 - 07:43 p.m.

This article outlines the birth, or hatching, of two African penguin chicks at the California Academy of Sciences. These two are such a big deal due to them being the second and third chicks hatched at this location after the California Academy of Sciences move in 2008. The University / School is located in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park, currently they are undergoing Fish School. Fish School is where these chicks learn to get used to hand fed fish when they get put into the penguin colony currently on exhibit. These penguin's are also a huge deal due to them helping the population of their breed, due to their breed of penguin going extinct.

• BeckettN-2
    11/20/2014 - 08:06 p.m.

This article is about two baby African chicks that were recently born in San Francisco. They are to undergo fish school so they can learn to swim and be hand fed. The chicks are near extinct so they're being bred in captivity. I think it's great that this species is being recovered.