Squirrel goes nuts over teen taking selfie Selfie with squirrel, at left. Then squirrel reacts, right (Instagram)
Squirrel goes nuts over teen taking selfie

A Maine teenager is flustered but not hurt after a photo op with a squirrel went awry.

Seventeen-year-old Brian Genest, of Auburn, said he saw what appeared to be a friendly squirrel on a hand rail while walking through John Chestnut Park near Tampa, Florida. He was on a trip looking at colleges.

Genest took a "selfie" of himself and the squirrel, but the flash and noises from his camera phone scared the animal, which climbed under the teen's shirt and hung onto his back.

"He was just in that spot where my arm can't reach him," Genest said. "I threw myself on the ground and that scared him off."

Genest's mother, Paula Wright, snapped photos of the hoopla, which were originally posted to her son's Instagram feed along with his selfie.

Genest had approached the squirrel making clicking sounds with his tongue to get closer. His mother said the spectacle Saturday taught him a lesson.

"I think he got a little lesson from the squirrel that he's not really its buddy," she said.

She said neither her son nor the squirrel was harmed.

Critical thinking challenge: What was a student from Maine doing in Florida? Why wasnt he in school?

• codydbz1
    5/02/2014 - 08:59 a.m.

This is very very funny i think its crazy how the squirrel came to attack him because of picture because of flash and sound this was really funny.

• Alexl608
    5/02/2014 - 09:01 a.m.

I thought this article was very funny because he was assaulted by a squirrel for taking a selfie with the sound and flash on and I also thought how his mother took photos of him being attacked was funny.

• Jadaw742
    5/02/2014 - 09:02 a.m.

He could have been on vacation for 1 and for 2, he was going around looking for colleges. But apparently because of the squirrel, he won't be going back up that sidewalk again. #Squirrelselfie

• sailorh716
    5/02/2014 - 09:38 a.m.

I have a question for him. Why would want to take a selfie with a wild animal that has been known to jump up on to people.

• Sierraf-3
    5/02/2014 - 09:47 a.m.

This article is about a 17 year old who tried o take a selfie with a squirrel. He approached the squirrel making noises with his tongue and when he took the selfie the flash and camera noise must have scarred the squirrel. The squirrel freaked out and just on Brain Genest and went under his shirt and clung onto him. Brian had to throw himself onto the ground to get the squirrel off, but the boy nor the squirrel were harmed. I thought this article was interesting because I thought it was weird that the squirrel freaked out because of the camera noises and jumped onto the boy. I didn't think a squirrel would do that.

• YasmineV1234
    5/02/2014 - 09:57 a.m.

First lemme take a selfie .. If that were me I wouldve just tooken more selfies just to do what other things it would cause lol . Cause you know SWAG .

• kernoyb
    5/02/2014 - 10:02 a.m.

I think its funny that he took the picture with the squirrel but i think its stupid that he got near it , he could have ripped his face off or something . but at least he made it out okay .

• yaileen14
    5/02/2014 - 10:07 a.m.

I feel so bad that the guy was being attack by squirrel,, the squirrel was maybe having a bad day or the guy maybe have put the squirrel in the bad mood or the squirrel was hungry

• gracevo-Mil
    5/02/2014 - 10:20 a.m.

He was checking colleges down in Florida.He could not be in school if he is checking collleges.It was funny when the squirrel went nuts though.

• jadent902
    5/02/2014 - 10:31 a.m.

I think that this guy is probably embarrassed because he got attacked by a squirrel. but i also think he deserved it because even when i was little i knew to stay away from wild squirrels because they are very timed and get scared very easy.and he scared the squirrel and the squirrel got scared and attacked him.