SpongeBob gets musical thanks to big name musicians Nickelodeon said Monday, Aug. 31, 2015, it will produce the world premiere of “The SpongeBob Musical” in Chicago next summer. (PRNewsFoto/Moody Gardens)
SpongeBob gets musical thanks to big name musicians

There's a "SpongeBob" musical in the works but the music is no kiddie stuff.

Nickelodeon said it will produce the world premiere of "The SpongeBob Musical" in Chicago next summer. It will include original songs many artists. They include John Legend, David Bowie and Cyndi Lauper. They include Dirty Projectors, The Flaming Lips and T.I. They include Plain White T's, They Might Be Giants and Lady Antebellum. And also Panic! At the Disco and Aerosmith's Steven Tyler and Joe Perry.

It is co-conceived and directed by Tina Landau. A book was written by Kyle Jarrow. Music supervision is by Tom Kitt. The show will play Chicago's Oriental Theatre starting June 7. From there, it may be taken to New York's Broadway.

Producers call it "a rousing tale of a simple sea sponge who faces the unthinkable. It is a celebration of unrestrained hope, unexpected heroes, and pure theatrical invention."

Kids' material has made the leap to stage before. They have included "The Addams Family," ''Annie" and "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown." And writer, director and producer Adam McKay is working on an "Archie" musical.

Why are the producers using musicians who normally perform for original songs?

• josel-2-esc
    9/10/2015 - 10:51 a.m.

Y like dis show it is fun

• abbeyd-mci
    9/10/2015 - 11:31 a.m.

I love SpongeBob

• 1-McR
    9/10/2015 - 12:16 p.m.

he looks happy and look happy

• justinw-969174-
    9/10/2015 - 01:02 p.m.

because its an original film

• shauniem-war
      11/06/2015 - 08:42 a.m.

I totally agree with you. The movie is original so why not have original songs to go with it. You don't have a SpongeBob musical and sing Katy Perry's Roar. What is the point of that.

• aidenc-1-gra
    9/10/2015 - 04:19 p.m.

I like that they have so many people involved for this musical.

• alexisw-1-gra
    9/10/2015 - 07:58 p.m.

NOWAY! Thats awesome that there making an musical with spongebob and it probably has so many hits now you couldn't imagine at all the reason this is a good idea is because they've been doing it on tv so much that they needed to show fans what its really like anyways great idea.

• John0724-YYCA
    9/10/2015 - 08:32 p.m.

I really don't know if this idea is great because I really don't know what they are going to do for the Sponge Bob Musical but if they are going to keep on replaying the sponge bob theme song then it is going to be really worse. I don't know what it is but I am not wanting to see the sponge bob musical.

• ryanr-ver
    9/10/2015 - 08:44 p.m.

I found it very interesting that so many famous artists are writing music for a play based on a children's show. Many times celebrities feel like a different group and don't think about normal stuff such as SpongeBob. This article showed me that celebrities care about such a regular thing as SpongeBob and are just as human as the rest of us.

• Jason0421-YYCA
    9/10/2015 - 08:51 p.m.

I think that it is amazing to know that the SpongeBob musical will premiere in Chicago next summer. I think that this is interesting because I enjoyed watching SpongeBob when I was a little kid. I believe that the SpongeBob musical will be a huge hit since SpongeBob is one of the most famous cartoon show.