Soprano seeks to go where no singer has gone before The International Space Station (AP photos)
Soprano seeks to go where no singer has gone before

British soprano Sarah Brightman is aiming to perform where no professional singer has ever gone before: the International Space Station.

The 54-year-old says she is working with composer Andrew Lloyd Webber. He is her ex-husband. They plan to create a song she will sing in space. That is after she blasts off Sept. 1 in a Russian Soyuz rocket.

Brightman is known to many for her role years ago in the musical "The Phantom of the Opera" and for a duet with tenor Andrea Bocelli. She told reporters she felt "overwhelmed" and excited as she prepares for her trip. She said she is not nervous yet.

"I would like to sing something from space," she said. "We're trying to work out all the technical details. Obviously it's quite a complex thing to do."

She said she and Lloyd Webber are working to find a song that "suits the idea of space." Meanwhile, scientists must iron out how to make the performance work. They could possibly add a choir or another singer on Earth.

"I'm trying to find a piece which is beautiful and simple in its message. As well as not too complicated to sing," she said.

Brightman would not disclose the cost of the trip. She maintained she is paying for it herself. The cost has been reported as $52.8 million.

She played the original lead in "Phantom" and was an original cast member in "Cats." She has sold 30 million records worldwide.

On the journey, arranged by the private space company Space Adventures, the singer will be part of a three-person team.

Brightman will spend 10 days aboard the space station.

She began training in January at Star City near Moscow, spending hours every day learning Russian, becoming familiar with all the space equipment and training in high g-force launch simulators.

"It feels like you've got an elephant on your chest. That's the only way I can explain it when you're in centrifuge," she said.

Brightman said she has wanted to go into space since she watched the first moon landing in 1969 as a 9-year-old.

"For me to have got this far and have a taste of what I felt at that time, to be part of the future, is an amazing thing," she said.

Critical thinking challenge: Why has no professional singer sung in space?

• AlexisC-Kut
    3/31/2015 - 03:33 p.m.

Wow I can't believe that no one else thought of this before I think that this is a amazing idea!!! I love to sing and I always wanted to go to space but I would never thought of this. I love how other people are helping out Sarah. I love this article so much that I did some research on this ans Sarah said" It;s been an unusual path that has taken me to this point and it hasn't been an easy journey, but I've found a lot about myself". Also on the website it said that Sarah was the eighth space tourist and follows Cirque de Soleil founder Guy Laliberte who made the trip in 2009. I love this article so much and I can't wait to see Sarah in space!!

• kaylab1724
    3/31/2015 - 05:23 p.m.

That's so neat and scary at the same time! You would have to make sure you nail it cause this is a one in a life time opportunity.

• OliviaH-Kut
    3/31/2015 - 06:43 p.m.

This is SUPER cool!!!! I know that if I where in her shoes, I would be totally and completely freaking out from both excitement and terror! excitement because, come on, singing in space sounds AWESOME. and terror because, the engine could break down or something. I think no one has ever done it because no one has ever been creative enough to think of it.

• haydenha
    3/31/2015 - 07:52 p.m.

I remember listening to Sarah Brightmen. This is so cool that she is going to preform on the space station. It is also very cool that she is working with Andrew Lloyd Weber composer of masterpieces such as the phantom of the opera and Jesus Christ Superstar.

• LaurenT-5
    3/31/2015 - 09:02 p.m.

A new type of singing is coming and it's going to be in space. Sarah Brightman had an idea of going to sing in outer pace to see what it's like and be one of the first to do it. Sarah and her ex-husband are planning to write a song that would be perfect to sing in space that relates to space too. On September 1st she I going up in space in a Russian rocket and is staying for 10 days. Surprinsgly the cost is very low, only $52.80, and she is planning on paying it herself. Sarah has been training in Russia since January, learning how everything is going to work and how to speak Russian. Sarah has been on musicals singing before and is very excited to start her journey in space. I think it is amazing that she is going to sing in space. It seems like a really thrilling and cool thing to do.

• s.s2001sing
      4/02/2015 - 08:49 a.m.

In the article it said that the whole trip cost 5.2million not 52.80 dollars, but the trip would be awesome! I would never go to space because after watching gravity i had a fear of space, but for her to have that much courage is is very good. Her new idea of singing in space is very creative though!

• ad2000stealth
    4/01/2015 - 08:39 a.m.

No professional singer has ever sang in space because no professional singer has ever even been to space. Also, they dont even know if the outcome they are looking is even going to be what happens.

• briw-boo
    4/01/2015 - 10:04 a.m.

I think that this is a great idea. No professional singer has sung in space. I hope they audio tape it. I hope she has a safe flight.

• marcusr-Che
    4/01/2015 - 01:48 p.m.

its pretty amazing how she can take singing to the next level. singing in space I wonder will anyone ever get to see it like recorded.

• jacobm-Che
    4/01/2015 - 01:50 p.m.

this is the dunnest this ever there is no air in space and the only place you may and i say maybe is in the ship there in and if we people on earth ever hear it its gonna just like its off the radio space has no air and as we all hopeful know is that air allows sound to travel throw it and without any air theirs no sound most people think that people can hear in space probably from video game or movies which either have actually win't to yet