Slow down! This Corvette is watching you. In the movie, "Ferris Bueller's Day Off," three teens and a parking attendant took a Ferrari (like this red one) for a joy ride. (- AP photo / Reuters)
Slow down! This Corvette is watching you.

Face it. If you own a luxury or sports car, whenever you hand the keys to a valet, you imagine the car going on a high-speed joyride like the Ferrari in the 1980s cult movie "Ferris Bueller's Day Off."

Now, General Motors has an option on the 2015 Chevrolet Corvette that takes those worries away.

The latest version of the sports car is due out in September. It has a feature that records where the car goes with a camera mounted in the windshield trim. It also captures audio in the cabin as well as speed, engine revolutions per minute, gear position and G-force. That all helps the car tattle on any valet who doesn't take a slow, direct route to a parking space.

GM says it's the most extensive attempt by an automaker to thwart valet joyriders. But it's not the first. The automotive website Edmunds.com says Hyundai and Mercedes offer "geofencing." That's a feature that sets a perimeter and then notifies the owner's smart phone if a car goes beyond it. Chrysler has a valet mode that caps engine speed and horsepower, while Audi lets owners limit engine speed for valets.

With the Corvette, once the owner activates the feature with a four-digit code, the touch screen tells the driver it's in Valet Mode. But it doesn't warn the valet that he's being recorded. The feature also locks the glove box and a storage compartment in the dashboard and shuts down the infotainment system.

"Think of it as a baby monitor for your car," Corvette Product Manager Harlan Charles said in a statement. "Anyone who has felt apprehension about handing over their keys will appreciate the peace of mind of knowing exactly what happened while their baby was out of sight."

Data and video from the valet mode can be viewed instantly by the owner on the car's 8-inch color screen when the car is parked. Or it can be downloaded to a computer.

The system could go into more mainstream models if feedback is good on the Corvette, GM spokesman Monte Doran said. The feature is paired with a navigation system and costs $1,795. A 2015 Corvette starts at just under $54,000.

Critical thinking challenge: Why do luxury car owners care how parking valets drive their cars? Have you ever seen Ferris Buellers Day Off?

• HaydenTr-Moo
    8/22/2014 - 10:37 a.m.

Ferrari and a Corvette are both nice cars why do you have a picture of a Ferrari when it says slow down this corvette is watching you.

• FranklinS-Moo
    8/22/2014 - 10:38 a.m.

That car is cool and cheap, It's only 54,000$ that's good for how fast a corvette can go that's a good price.But im not shocked that general motors company is attempting go up against Ferrari again GMC has always tried but normally fail.

• ErickaM-Moo
    8/22/2014 - 10:38 a.m.

A Corvette is one of my favorite cars! In my opinion Corvettes are one of the prettiest cars made. I think this article is very persuading. It sounds like some kind of car from the future.

• MatthewG-Moo
    8/22/2014 - 10:41 a.m.

This is crazy! Who would ever want to own a car that records absolutely everything that you do? I say let valet cruise off in my car, it will just turn out bad for them!

• CarterM-Moo
    8/22/2014 - 10:41 a.m.

I think its great that Chevy is trying to stop those kinds of things from happening. I hope other companies like Audi and Lamborghini catch on

• GaryC-Moo
    8/22/2014 - 10:41 a.m.

I have seen "Ferris Bueller's Day Off". But the Valet Association of America (If that exist might pull the "Oh my good grandma's uncle, My privacy is being violated." Well it probably work for the better that way you don't have to pay 10 to the 100th power dollar just for a ding the size of a golf ball. Well of course people would go ding their car and yell at the top of their lungs, pancreas, esophagus, and femur " THE VALET DID IT", and that's my opinion

• NathanC-Moo
    8/22/2014 - 11:48 a.m.

In my opinion, corvette's stink. I like mustangs better. Plus that's a Ferrari,not a corvette. Ferrari's are faster and more expensive and I cant see how a corvette can be competition with a Ferrari.

• wardmic4-dil
      1/08/2016 - 01:48 p.m.

That is an opinion. Corvettes are way better. Also cheaper.

• AlecB-Moo
    8/22/2014 - 11:56 a.m.

I have always thought that the corvette was a good car and starting at 54,000$ is a good price but my self I have personally liked Lamborghini and Ferrari.

• JackB-Moo
    8/22/2014 - 12:00 p.m.

If I was a valet I would go joyriding if I was driving a Ferrari, and a Corvette. Wouldn't that make it twice as expensive.