Sign warns drivers to slow down for turtles A "Turtle Crossing" sign warns drivers just east of West Terre Haute, Indiana (AP photos)
Sign warns drivers to slow down for turtles

Assign to Google Classroom

State crews in Indiana have put up "Turtle Crossing" signs along a busy road that runs beside a wildlife area in Terre Haute.

The signs mark an area where turtles of various species are killed by vehicles as they try to cross National Avenue on the northern edge of the Wabashiki Fish and Wildlife Area, said Amber Slaughterbeck. She is natural resource programmer for the Vigo County parks department.

Slaughterbeck said she hoped the signs will raise awareness among drivers. She first noticed the problem in 2009 when she was a student at nearby St. Mary-of-the-Woods College. She told the Tribune-Star newspaper she found dead turtles all over the road.

"It was like a massacre of these turtles, so I pulled my car over and started walking along the guardrail," she said. "At that point, I thought I would save just a few turtles and see where it goes. I came back the next day and the next day and realized that there were a lot of turtles to be saved."

Slaughterbeck and volunteers have moved more than 2,000 turtles from the roadside. The turtles are taken to a nearby lake.

Indiana Department of Transportation spokeswoman Debbie Calder said the signs are temporary while the agency considers ways to protect the reptiles. She said the ultimate plan is to raise money for fencing and tunnels.

"It is not just the turtles. We have pulled river otters out of the road," she said. "We ideally would like a tunnel big enough to allow the river otters, the beavers and all the other animals to cross underneath."

Critical thinking challenge: Why are so many turtles near this busy highway?

• Conor12
    11/25/2014 - 03:34 p.m.

so many turtle are near this road because there are rivers on either side of the road. so they are ceossing between the two rivers and then getting hit by cars.

• sv117-Sch
    11/25/2014 - 03:53 p.m.

In response to "Sign Warns Drivers to Slow Down for Turtles," I agree that people should slow down for turtles. One reason I agree is that if you run over a turtle, you'll probably bump over it's shell and get into a car crash. Another reason is that a lot of turtles live in Indiana, and it would be a turtle massacre if that sign wasn't there. It says in the article that people have saved "more than 2,000 turtles from the roadside." A third reason is there is no reason for wildlife to be killed. I mean wildlife that doesn't provide a massive food source. Even though people run over turtles like everything is awesome, I think
    they are COMPLETELY wrong and should care more for wildlife.

• ChaseG-5
    11/25/2014 - 07:03 p.m.

This article is about a sign that has recently been put up in Indiana. The sign is "turtle crossing" and it has begun to save the lives of many turtles. Turtles and other animals have begun crossing the road where many vehicles also drive on so many turtles have been killed or injured. Tunnels and fences are being raised to protect the animals from being killed. Over 2,000 turkey have already been moved to the lake from the roadside. I think this article is great because people are thinking of new ways to protect animals. I also think that people should be extremely cautious of animals when they're driving.

• Eugene0808-YYCA
    11/25/2014 - 07:19 p.m.

I think this is a serious matter for the animals because they are being run over by cars. The turtles have to be protected. I suggest that the people make fences with automatic sensors and warning systems to let drivers know that there are turtles crossing. Then, the gates would shut and allow the turtles pass by safely. This would go for other river animals, too. Some of them might be endangered so we have to protect them.
    Critical thinking challenge: Why are so many turtles near this busy highway?
    Answer: There are so many turtles near the busy highway because they need to cross to get to the lake that is on the other side of the highway.

• Eric0221-YYCA
    11/25/2014 - 07:49 p.m.

I think that it is a great idea to put up the sign behind the guardrail so that people that are in their cars should be careful for turtles crossing that highway so the people will see the turtles and stop and the people who wanted to help the turtles to cross the road so they would have to pick them and place them in the near by lake so the turtles will have a place to live in and hibernate during the whole winter. I think it is also a great idea to build a tunnel for the other water creatures so they would live in the lake, too as same as the turtles that wanted to get to the other side.
    Critical thinking challenge: Why are so many turtles near the busy highway?
    Answer: There are so many turtles near the busy highway so the turtles would live in the lake that the turtles would live in.

• mf117-Sch
    11/26/2014 - 07:44 a.m.

Marissa Fusca
    November 24,2014
    Pds.7-8
    Tween Tribune

Sign warns drivers to slow down for turtles

In response to Sign Warns Drivers to Slow Down for Turtles I agree to putting up the sign to slow down for turtles.One reason I agree is because the article said that this road in Indiana is by a nature reserve.Another reason why is because is that turtles tried crossing the road but,they all got killed.And if most of the turtles died then they can eventually become extinct.A third reason why I agree is because this sign as also saved river otters and beavers.Even though this sign is on a busy road I think the sign should be permanent to Indiana.

• ct2000green
    11/26/2014 - 08:37 a.m.

ok, I understand the need to keep turtles and other animals safe but to wait for them to pass is something that is not going to happen. Instead of putting up signs why not take all of the turtles and place them in a safer natural environment where they will be safe and free.

• wpapril30
    11/26/2014 - 08:40 a.m.

it could be a lake near by or a pond that are laying egg that why there so many turtle. I think it kind of odd to see a turtle warning sign where I live there is no sign that said turtle are crossing.

• AC2001curly
    11/26/2014 - 08:41 a.m.

Volunteers took them to the river near there. They probably wanted to find some other food. or maybe they just got tired of living in the same place.

• lcarlos0623
    11/26/2014 - 12:28 p.m.

That is so sad. This remainds me of my neighbor's turtle , he died because a car ran over it. i use to have a turtle her name was Sandy.