See 150 skiing Santas Skiers and snowboarders dressed as Santa ride a chairlift while participating in Santa Sunday at the Sunday River ski resort, Sunday, Dec. 6, 2015, in Newry, Maine. (AP Photo/Robert F. Bukaty)
See 150 skiing Santas

Santa and his helpers hit the ski slopes to spread some holiday cheer.

All told, a mob of 150 jolly ol' elves hopped on skis and snowboards for the 16th annual Skiing Santas event. It was held at Sunday River ski resort in Newry, Maine.

The event serves as a festive kickoff to the holiday season.

"It's really fun because everyone is a little wild and crazy," said Catherine Bolender, 53, of Waterboro. She has been participating for about a dozen years. "It's a fun, festive event."

Thom Bureau is a snowboarder and agreed that it's chaotic. It's also unforgettable.

"When you're on the chairlift, you look back as you're getting off and the whole chairlift is full of Santas. It's kind of freaky, actually," he said.

The event has become so popular that it's difficult to get a ticket.

Brad and Heather Cope are from Newton Falls, Ohio. They said the online registration filled up in 4 minutes on Nov. 30. The Copes were lucky to make the cut.

"We were both on our computers at noon to make sure we got it," said Brad Cope. He is a former ski instructor who installs swimming pools. Heather is a Maine native and nurse practitioner.

Resort officials say the event raised a little more than $3,000 for the Sunday River Community Fund. It is a local charity.

Participants were required to donate at least $15 to the fund. In exchange, they were allowed to ski for free and received another lift ticket good through Dec. 18.

How do the skiing Santas benefit from this event?

• samanthas-1-ste
    12/10/2015 - 01:16 p.m.

The Santa's benefit by having an admission fee of 15 dollars to go to the community charity. Also, they get to see the smiles on people's faces.

• autianae-ste
    12/10/2015 - 01:29 p.m.

I agree that seeing a bunch of santas in one place is pretty freaky. The event seems pretty fun though, to be honest and I would participate in it if I could.

• brayana-sch
    12/10/2015 - 01:45 p.m.

who:santas came to newton falls,Ohio now 30
    The main idea:the event serves as festive kickoff to the holiday
    This particular story:this event has became so pupular that it's diffecult to get tickets
    This story realites:about the hpolidays
    This is a "news":150 santas were skiing

• rnorakate-par
    12/10/2015 - 01:50 p.m.

Well I think that a benefit for being a skiing Santa is that you get a free skiing trip, you help a charity, and you get a free chairlift ride.

• cristinaa-sch
    12/10/2015 - 01:51 p.m.

(2) The benefit for the skiing santas are that they can spread joy and have a little more fun skiing than usual.(critical thinking question.) The santas want to spread holiday cheer.
    (2)(1) the santas get to see smiling faces
    (2) they get another ticket for free
    (3) santas see many santas which is very freaky

• srebecca-par
    12/10/2015 - 01:52 p.m.

It would be creepy to me if I saw a lot of Santas behind me.

• ggemma-par
    12/10/2015 - 02:08 p.m.

The skiing Santas benefit by paying 15 dollars for admission that goes to the community charity. Also, if I was there I would definitely go to that event! I agree with the fact that seeing 150 Santas in one place would be pretty hysterical and I like how the article added just how much money was raised from that event.

• coles-2-har
    12/10/2015 - 03:14 p.m.

By donating $15 they get to skii for free.

• marcosd-jac
      12/18/2015 - 01:45 p.m.

I do agree with coles-2-har. In fact i think it is cool to get free ski passes. It makes the place more popular.I think they should also have different holidays like Halloween. This would make the ski place even more popular.

• maddyc-Orv
    12/10/2015 - 03:35 p.m.

I think seeing big groups of odd things are appealing to people. They want to go to see the Santas, they buy a ticket and then they end buying other things. All the Santas benefit the Sunday River Ski Resort by bringing in money.