Schools favorite cookie banned from cafeteria (iStockPhoto)
Schools favorite cookie banned from cafeteria

A favorite, and locally famous, cafeteria treat is off the menu forever in one northeast Ohio school system because of new federal nutritional guidelines.

The government's edict to provide healthier foods and cut fats and cholesterol will put an end to the sale of the Elyria pink cookie. It's a buttery sweet treat with pink icing that has been a favorite of city school kids for four decades.

The cookie was developed by a former district food services director who used her grandmother's recipe. The cookie was once named the "Best Cafeteria Cookie" by Cleveland magazine, according to The (Elyria) Chronicle-Telegram.

Scott Teaman, food services director with Sodexo Inc., the district's contracted food provider, said the federal guidelines for school snacks are strict. The pink cookie just can't make the cut, he said.

"There is only one way to do the pink cookie. And to do it any other way would not do it justice," Teaman said.

The pink cookies will not disappear completely. Teaman said district bakers will fire up the ovens for special orders at $5 a dozen.

• Jason0421-YYCA
    8/26/2014 - 10:02 p.m.

I think that it is interesting for Scott Teaman to sell pink cookies even though that he knows it won't be enough to sell. I think that it was a good idea to still sell the pink cookies because everyone still loved the pink cookies. The pink cookies were very tasty to the people in the northeast Ohio, so I agree that Scott Teamen should still sell. I hope that the business foes well anyways.
    Critical thinking challenge: Give at least two reasons why the cookie had been a favorite.
    Answer: One reason why the cookie would have been a favorite might have been that it was really tasty. Another reason that it might be famous is that the other cookies were really bad.

• Eugene0808-YYCA
    8/26/2014 - 10:48 p.m.

I think the rules are too strict. I feel like it is kind of a tradition for kids to enjoy the cookie. Administrators should change the rules to limit the amount the kids can have and to sell the cookies on certain days. Also, the cookies are $5 a dozen! That is too expensive for a dozen of cookies. Also, for fundraisers in the school, the school should sell the pink cookies so kids can gather in the line waiting to buy one. Then the school would raise a lot of money.
    Answer: The cookie had been a favorite to kids because it is kind of a tradition to buy the cookie. Another reason is that the cookie tasted really good.

• ChristianLeiva
    8/27/2014 - 12:27 p.m.

The Elyria pink cookie produced and served in a northeast Ohio cafeteria will not be produced anymore for the students from the city schools.
    The reason of this is that the cafeteria is matching the Government guidelines in order to cut fat and cholesterol.
    Teaman, the cafeteria's owner said that there not will be another way of doing the same cookie by changing the recipe.

I think that the USA government has launch an important prevention initiative, since the citizens are not able sometimes to prevent themselves from consuming fat and sugar in heavy quantities.
    So this, I think is good to put the cookie out of sale.

• Ashley0207-yyca
    8/27/2014 - 10:05 p.m.

I did not know that a cafeteria's school's favorite cookie was banned from the cafeteria. They should just try to let them eat healthy food without banning the pink butter cream cookies. I'm very surprised because the rules of the government had to be followed and had to have the favorite pink butter cream cookies banned. I might disagree when I was in Ohio and bake cookies by no one noticing the smell and never see me baking. When I grow up I will tell that it is unfair to have other states have unhealthy food but this state doesn't have unhealthy food to eat sometimes.

• 20ashley
    8/28/2014 - 11:49 a.m.

This cookie ban is not okay!! It is just because the president's wife decided to use the power of her husband to make schools get healthier food. This is cruel to students that try their best to eat their food then not get their favorite cookie. I do not think this is okay.

• Hannah6731
    8/28/2014 - 11:59 a.m.

Well, one reason would most likely be the flavors and the taste. It sounds delicious. And another would probably be the simple fact that it's a cookie. It's unhealthy- and probably really delicious.

• Katie0414
    8/28/2014 - 12:01 p.m.

Two reasons why the cookie had been a favorite:
    1) The taste. The vast amounts of sugar and the buttery cookie probably contributed to make a sweet, buttery treat.
    2) It would give you a delicious side to go along with your lunch at school!

• matthewm0210
    8/28/2014 - 12:04 p.m.

I think the cookie was a favoite because it was very delisious. It was a favorite among girls because it was pink. Most boys just wanted the cookie.

• Matthewj1212
    8/28/2014 - 12:07 p.m.

The cookie sounds so good. reading this makes me want a cookie. it is almost lunch time right now and I want a cookie. A cookie sounds really good right now. All the pinkness of the cookie makes me want it more. I REALLY want a cookie. COOKIE CLICKER

• julianna2001
    8/28/2014 - 12:09 p.m.

REASON 1. the cookie was a sweet treat it had sugar,pink icing, and a tasty buttery flavor, REASON 2. the cookie was pink so the girls would want it, REASON 3. the sugar in the cookies is what the kids wanted.